Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Memory Leakage

by Tom1 / February 16, 2004 12:53 AM PST

At startup, System Resources(SR) are at 85% and Available Physical Memory (APM) at 57MB. As I open and close programs like Quicken or TurboTax or even Help and Support, SR drops to 62% and stays at that level. APM keeps decreasing, as for example, to 25MB, then 18MB, and 160KB. Then the computer hangs up.

System info: HP Desktop 6746c; 23GB free on hard drive; Total Physical Memory 190MB, available 37MB

Fixes tried: 1) selective startup with only systray and a few essential files. 2) ScanDisk and Defragment 3) Anti-virus scan of hard drive 4) Disable Norton AV and Internet Security Pro 5)Internet disconnect 6) delete temp files and empty recycle bin 7) deleted unessential files and programs from hard drive like Backweb, Encyclopedia, etc.

The 2002 Quicken Deluxe file gives most trouble. It's about 35MB and will close without warning after about 5 minutes.

Would you recommend System Restore, then if necessary, System Recovery? Or is there something I'm overlooking such as updates and patches?

PS I've been on this site reading members queries and replies for an hour and my computer is still up and running.

Would appreciate your help.
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory Leakage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory Leakage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Memory Leakage
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Memory Leakage

1. "APM keeps decreasing, as for example, to 25MB, then 18MB, and 160KB."

Your use of the acronym APM eludes me here. http://www.google.com/search?&q=WHAT+IS+APM agrees with what I think it is, which is "Advanced Power Management."

2. My short answers are at this point is to:
a. Review the Memory and Optimizing Windows notes at http://www.aumha.org.org/articles.htm
b. Don't run Zonealarm or similar. Just don't share a network drive and don't run servers or services and this OS has no exploit. ZA has been spotted to grow and this OS is not robust enough.
c. Eject all PESTS. Tools noted at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Memory Leakage
by Tom1 / February 17, 2004 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Memory Leakage

1. The Help and Support feature on the HP refers to available physical memory when describing each part of the system as in:
Total Physical Memory 190.45MB
Available " " 37.16MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00GB
Available " " 1.77GB

It's the APM that keeps decreasing. The only program it actually Closes is Quicken, but it does exhibit the same decreasing tendency with TurboTax. TurboTax does not close. Maybe it's a corrupt data file and I'm addressing this problem from that direction also.
2.I read article on runaway Vcache and am following up there. (There's an extra org in the link}
3.I use Norton Personal Firewall and even when I disable it and terminate my connection to the ISP, the problem doesn't go away.
Really appreciate your help.

Collapse -
Available Physical Memory. Closer to zero the better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2004 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Memory Leakage

There are numerous dialogues about such in Virtual Memory (VM) based OSes. But at the end of the day, you want all RAM used before going virtual. The article covered this discussion and more.

Sorry if I flubbed on the link:

http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?