Computer Help forum

General discussion

Memory Installation Problem

So I bought and build my new computer about a month ago and bought this DDR3 Memory for it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231149
I then recently bought this Memory to Add to it to have 4 GB of RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231191

When I went to add the Memory and turn the computer back on, but it would lock up on the memory test the BIOS does at boot. I rearange the Memory again thinking I had the wrong configuration, checked the Motherboard Manual and everything is in place correctly. A also used each set of memory indivitually and they work individually.

My only thought was that since they are different speeds and voltage they wouldnt work together. Should they work?

If you need to know here is my Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188025

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory Installation Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory Installation Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since they have different timing and voltage ...

In reply to: Memory Installation Problem

It is not surprising you are having problems. Why didn't you do what is normally advised and stick to matching memory. Note also that the motherboard doesn't spec for the 1066 memory - "DDR3 2000(OC)/1800(OC)/1333 Support for up to 2000 MHz SLI-Ready Memory with EPP"

F3-14400CL8D-2GBPI
Cas Latency 8
Timing 8-8-8-21
Voltage 1.9V

F3-8500CL7D-2GBNQ
Cas Latency 7
Timing 7-7-7-18
Voltage 1.65V

Collapse -
Ya Think?!?!

In reply to: Since they have different timing and voltage ...

Ya think if I had known that then I would have stuck with the same for the memory, but unfortunatly that isnt really stated when buying the computer parts. Now im stuck with about $40 in restocking fees, thanks to poor specification of products.

Collapse -
That's why people buy Dells and Gateways

In reply to: Ya Think?!?!

because they know enough not to make such a mistake. When you build your own PC it's implicit you possess the knowledge and experience to purchase and assemble the PC correctly. The memory support list for your MB is at the link below and experienced builders or integrators don't mix RAM from the different mfgs, different speeds, different timings or different voltages. I take that one step further and recommend you buy all the RAM you plan to use in that PC at the very beginning. By doing that you eliminate trying to add matching RAM later.

As a last resort you can always post questions here and hope that knowledgeable folks will respond.

http://www.evga.com/support/mbmem/

Good Luck with your system.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.