Cameras forum

General discussion

MEMORY CARDS /Shutter speed- help needed

by Fizellem / February 22, 2004 11:21 PM PST

Can anyone explain to me the difference between, Compact Flash Memory, SD Memory cards and Memory Sticks? Which is the most recommended?
How does shutter speed work and what should I look for in a dig camera.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MEMORY CARDS /Shutter speed- help needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MEMORY CARDS /Shutter speed- help needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:MEMORY CARDS /Shutter speed- help needed
by snapshot / February 23, 2004 12:11 AM PST

I have a pessimistic view of the flood of memory card types. It is all about money. Here is one example. Sony came out with the memory-stick and now any company that wants to make a memory stick must pay Sony a fee to do so.

Look behind any of the new formats and you will find a company getting a fee for licensing that format to others.

For the consumer, the Compact Flash sells for the lowest price.

Shutter speed is a problem for digital camera makers. Not the shutter speed itself; but the delay from the time you press the button, till the picture is taken.

The first delay is for the time it takes for the camera to autofocus. That is usually in the area of one second or more.

The second delay is after focus is achieved, it takes a short bit of time to record the data on the memory card. This can be as short as 0.1 second and as long as nearly 0.3 seconds.

The consumer complaint is always: "When I try to take an action shot, I miss the peak of the action."

It took the film industry over 100 years to produce a truly fast action camera. It will take the digital industry a bit of time to do the same.

But they will find a way. Some camera manufacturers are starting to use buffering to speed up the recording process.

Right now, look for a camera that can autofocus in dim light, and do it in less than a second. That same camera should complete the picture after autofocus in 0.1 second or less.

Most cameras let you press the shutter switch halfway to achieve autofocus and then actually take the picture when you then press the button the rest of the way down. This lessens the problem of missing the peak of action.

Good Hunting.

Collapse -
Re:Re:MEMORY CARDS /Shutter speed- help needed
by Fizellem / February 23, 2004 12:28 AM PST

I was looking into the Pentax Optio 555...what do you think of that camera?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:MEMORY CARDS /Shutter speed- help needed
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 2:47 AM PST
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optio555.asp

The only item that bugs me is that it doesn't run on AA batteries. I've found this to be a real bonus. My first Megapixel camera was the Canon Digital Elph and even with two fully charged batteries it often ate those before I got more than 50 shots.

My new hp 812 (well refurb) http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=Q2147AR was just 207 bucks and is working out great. I got a 256M memory card and went days on just two AA's. I do see that 4 MP on those optics is pushing it, but for what I want, it works.
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:MEMORY CARDS /Shutter speed- help needed
by snapshot / February 23, 2004 9:17 AM PST

The Pentax 555 is an update to the 550.

I had not previously looked at the specifications for the 555. It has more bells and whistles than a New Orleans street parade.

The specifications put it in the same classification as the Canon G5, Olympus 5060, Sony V1 and the Nikon 5400.

There is a lengthy review at:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/optio555.html

I checked the Customer views and the Pentax forum. I see some of the same complaints that people give to all digital cameras, but nothing bad about the design and function of the 555 camera.

There was an indicaton that some people had gotten a new 555 camera that had a problem right out of the box, but they took it back. So there may be a quality control test issue at the factory. Just purchase from someone who will quickly replace a defective camera.

Acording to one review, Pentax states that you should get about 400 pictures on one charge of the battery with the 555.

Collapse -
Re:MEMORY CARDS /Shutter speed- help needed
by pfeffer3 / February 23, 2004 10:18 PM PST

All digital camera memory cards provide the same function to store photos on a removable card. When card is full, another card can be inserted for shooting large number of photos. These cards also make it much easier to transfer photos to computer or insert directly into a photo printer for prints.

Therefore, look at camera quality and one that will fit your needs, and look at size. But, be sure to get a camera with a removable memory card since some cameras do not have them.

You will also need to consider rechargeable batteries since digital cameras eat batteries.

Go to these sites to educated yourself on digital cameras:

Camera Reviews

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html

Collapse -
Computer Format
by mikcarsd / February 27, 2004 10:04 AM PST

I erased a compactflash card on my computer using the MS-DOS instruction Format and that was a mistake. My camera will no longer accept it even to perform its own format. I use the card on the computer exclusively and am able to download .jpg images and take them to my local jobber to get prints.

Collapse -
Is this a call for help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2004 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Format

If so, it should be on its own "thread." In here, it could be just a warning to someone.

Just FYI, I'd managed to bring back a few cards by using some other camera. A local store knows me well enough...

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?