Cameras forum

General discussion

Memory Card Question Kodak EasyShare C813

Hi there,

I've found this forum via google, as I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Digital Cameras, and I'm going to be travelling through america in the summer so wanted a card with as big as memory as possible, so was looking at 16gb memory cards. I've run into some issues with the whole SD/SDHC/SDHC High Speed thing that I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

Basically, I want as large a card as possible, but have no idea where to find this out. I read on a few places that I can only use SD cards up to a maximum of 2GB (e.g. here: http://www.mymemory.co.uk/compatible-memory/Digital_Cameras/Kodak/Kodak+EasyShare+C813_Memory_Cards ).

I e-mailed Kodak for clarification, and they told me the following:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding a memory card for your C813 camera.

"Please be advised that the biggest memory card that you can use is the SDHC High-Speed Card, 16 GB , however the recomended one is the SD High Performance Memory Card, 2 GB . This will allow you to take up to 500 photos or 50 min of video.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us quoting your reference number above. Please also note that you can carry out full troubleshooting on your product and arrange repairs at http://www.kodak.com/go/itg."

So, I'm now unsure, am I able to get a larger card, or would it have to be a Kodak only "High Speed" SDHC Card? As from my searches, the SDHC High Speed card Kodak pointed me towards was their own, and cost

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory Card Question Kodak EasyShare C813
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory Card Question Kodak EasyShare C813
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Memory Cards

In reply to: Memory Card Question Kodak EasyShare C813

Finding the maximum capacity for a camera is difficult to find for any camera.

I think the problem has to do with the fear that a particular brand of card may not work on a particular camera.
The camera maker can not test every possible brand and capacity card in every camera.
If they say, "yes the C813 can use 16gb card", they may be liable if it does not work with the particular brand/type you bought.
Kodak has likely tested their cameras with their cards.

As for high speed:
There is no way the C813 needs a high speed card for taking still pictures.
It may need a high speed card for video.
But the C813 can only record video 640x480 at 15 frames per second (fps).
It can record 320x240 at 30 fps.
I find it hard to believe a high speed card is necessary for those types of video speeds.

I do not buy any card that is over 2gb anyway because I don't like all my eggs in one basket.
Cards can fail.

Buy a good brand of card ... SanDisk is my favorite.
Kodak would certainly be a good choice too.
Don't buy it on eBay, as there are too many counterfeit cards available on eBay.

A Tip:
If you use a card reader, you will need a SDHC card reader if you use a SDHC card.
Most older card readers can not read a SDHC card.

Tip number 2:
Always format a new card with the Camera before taking any pictures.
You will find how to format with the camera in the camera User Manual.

Collapse -
sdhc

I would like to suggest you get several 4gb cards. Like another person suggested, I like sandisk. I got a sdhc, and my computer wouldn't read it. It was an older model computer, and didn't support adhc. I had to purchase a portable reader, that plugs into my usb port. So, be aware, that if your computer is over 1 to 1 1/2 years old, you may have to get the reader.

Collapse -
32GB

This was asked in 2009 and doing a quick search of the topic in 2015 I still have the best info. I own this Cam. It's maximum is 32GB with 40 mb/s. Faster read/write cards or bigger storage size don't work. (for me on this same camera) The manufacturer claims the max is 16GB and recommends 2GB. I successfully run a SanDisk Ultra 32GB~40 mb/s and recommend that.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.