General discussion

Memory Card Loss - ALL of my pix GONE

Hi! I have an old [but great] Olympus digital camera. It has an 8 MG Smart Media card. I took about one hundred sixty pictures of my students at camp this week. I checked from time-to-time to ensure that my pictures were good. On the last day of the camping trip I noticed that my camera screen showed a giant exclamation point. I could not take anymore pictures. I could not view any of the previous pictures. When I got home from the trip I inserted the memory card into my computer reader. It wanted to format the card. I went to Rite-Aid to use their reader. It was not recognized the memory card. What can I do? I have thirty students whose week of memories may have disappeared. Again, please help!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Memory Card Loss - ALL of my pix GONE
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Memory Card Loss - ALL of my pix GONE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: pix gone
- Collapse -
There is hope

As mentioned, you'll need to use recovery software. Here's an article describing the software with reviews and links to freeware recovery software available on this site:

http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2007/12/recovering-those-accidentally-lost.html

Now the SmartMedia card was, if I'm not mistaken, the first flash card. Also if I remember correctly, these cards were not really designed to be durable and last forever (few years max). I'm surprised yours was still working properly. Would highly recommend considering a new camera with new media.

- Collapse -
Olympus & Smart Media

Yeah, Olympus was one of my 1st digital cameras. I have had other newer digital cameras; but Olympus was always my back-up. It was very dependable. The last picture for my trip is when the card "went south" on me. I have a nice Nikon CoolPix that I like; but I wasn't going to take that out into the woods with a hundred 6th graders. I took my old back-up, the Olympus. In retrospect I guess that Olympus was an old-timer.

Thank you so much for the quick response.

CNET Forums

Forum Info