Cameras forum

General discussion

memory card locked

by drick132 / November 1, 2005 5:29 AM PST

Camera: Canon SD300
Memory: 1GB SanDisk SD card

I recently tried using my camera, but the display said that my memory card was locked. I removed the card and it wasn't locked. I inserted it again but I had the same problem. I locked/unlocked the card and tried again with no luck. I tried using a different card and didn't have a problem. I put the "bad" card in another camera and it read the same "Memory card locked." I tried connecting my camera to my computer through the USB cable it came with but no luck.
Before all of this happened I took some pics and my friend transferred them to a CD through his card reader. Since then, all of this happened. I'm going to try my friend's card reader to see if it'll recognize the card. Other than that, any ideas how to fix this? Anybody experience this?

Thanks,
Derick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: memory card locked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: memory card locked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like you may be in luck.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 1, 2005 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: memory card locked

If your friend has a card reader, put your card in the card reader and delete all files and folders on the memory card (do not format the card with the computer). When deleting the files and folders do not let the deletions go to the recycle bin (hold down the Shift key when deleting).

Then put the card back in the camera and it will likely recognize the card.

Before you do anything else, format the card with the camera.

Failure to format a new card with the camera, can bite you a week later or even a month later. I did it twice before I learned my lesson.

Collapse -
any other ideas
by drick132 / November 7, 2005 12:35 PM PST

I tried reading the card with my friend's reader and another reader with no luck. Neither of them seem to recognize or see the card. I tried formatting it in my camera but that option is not highlighted. I'm not exactly sure how to format with the card reader also since it can't see it. Any suggestions? Anyway to still salvage the memory card?

Collapse -
Sounds like you are in luck
by taboma / November 12, 2005 2:27 PM PST

Great info for all to follow. Live and learn.
Thanks, Joe.

-Kevin

Collapse -
re
by Alan Copeland / November 1, 2005 6:55 AM PST

sounds like something happened on your friend's PC. One more thing that might work is trying to format the card on through a card reader.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do NOT try to format the card in the reader.
by Kiddpeat / November 1, 2005 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: re
Collapse -
re
by Alan Copeland / November 1, 2005 9:26 AM PST

if his friend did that,and has XP, he may have formatted it incorrectly. I have heard the warnings about formatting in the reader/PC, but to date I have not had a problem except the one time I used the wrong format, and that was correected by re-formatting in the reader.

Collapse -
If someone chooses to live dangerously, I guess that is his
by Kiddpeat / November 1, 2005 10:32 AM PST

choice, but he should at least be warned that he is living dangerously. Cards should be formatted in the camera.

Collapse -
I agree
by Alan Copeland / November 2, 2005 6:24 AM PST

I have only used the PC when the camera batteries were too low. One of those times I had an issue similar to drick 132. My PC defaulted to the wrong format. I simply recommended that he might try to re-format just in case this was the problem. As it is, his card is useless anyway.

Collapse -
A long shot....
by Papa Echo / November 7, 2005 3:20 PM PST

I suppose you would now want to try anything to save the card. Try: take out the card, gently wipe clean the contacts. Also try blow-dry the card with a hair dryer, but don't overdo it. Have you tried another card at your camera ?

Collapse -
Try also...
by Papa Echo / November 7, 2005 4:00 PM PST
In reply to: A long shot....
I removed the card and it wasn't locked.

So, move that tiny switch( at the side) to lock position, try it on the reader, take out, move to unlock, try on the reader and move to unlock again....
Collapse -
re
by drick132 / November 8, 2005 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: Try also...

Yes, I've tried this too.

Collapse -
re
by drick132 / November 7, 2005 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: A long shot....

Yes, I have tried another card on my camera and it worked fine.

Collapse -
It's a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2005 12:23 AM PST

Time to make that call.

Collapse -
ok
by drick132 / November 9, 2005 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: It's a warranty issue.

So I called the manufacturer and they are sending a replacement. Only problem is that I lose my pictures. Oh well...at least I get another card. Thanks for all the help!

Collapse -
Memory locked
by postie / November 10, 2005 6:02 PM PST

I had this problem with my memory card and found I had to use the disc I got with the camera to unlock it Postie

Collapse -
memory card lock
by Romasteve / November 12, 2005 6:52 AM PST

Hi

You did not say which memory card, but the SD digital cards have a physical switch that can lock the card on the side near top. I got caught by this once,

Stephen in Rome

Collapse -
memory card locked
by mhex / November 18, 2005 4:06 AM PST

Its quite possible that there is a write-protect/lock tab on the memory card. Most folks ma not realize it, but most memory cards use the old FAT format from MS-DOS. Some cameras only format in FAT12 whereas other cameras may format in FAT16. Also the card reader may only format it in FAT16. This is why I agree with some folks that have said to only format the card in the camera.

I suspect aside from the lock switch problem that there is perhaps file incompatiblity problems. Basically you can format a card at FAT16 via a camera or the card reader. But when you put that memory card into a camera that is only programmed to understand FAT12 it has a problem reading the FAT16 file format. On the converse a camera that can read/format FAT16 memory cards can also read FAT12 memory cards. This all depends on your manufacturer, etc...

There is a photo file recovery out there man by a guy named Christophe Grenier. His website http://www.cgsecurity.org . He has a utility called PhotoRec which is bundled with Testdisk(another file recovery utility produced by him).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.