Cameras forum

General discussion

memory card corruption - help!

by angiezine / June 18, 2005 9:30 AM PDT

hi there. i have a canon a85 and i guess i was flipping through images and deleting some of them all too fast because i think i have corrupted something. one frame shows the image very small and underneath says data corrupted. and anothe frame, it doesnt show the image, it just says data corrupted and ?.
what happened and what do i do? thing is, the 2 images with the supposed corruption, i dont really care about them. its the others i really care about (i have another 150 to 200 images) and i am a little nervous that its not only those 2 frames/images that are corrupted.
is it possible the entire card (all teh photos) have a problem?
what is the best thing to do in the situation to not lose any of the photos, or just lose those 2 and not the rest?
and if i download onto a disc, could the corruption move to the disc and corrput that?
these are irreplaceable images and mean a lot to me, so any insight would be great. thanks so much.
angie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: memory card corruption - help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: memory card corruption - help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First, stop using the card. That may be obvious, but just in
by Kiddpeat / June 18, 2005 1:09 PM PDT

case. Second, if you don't have a card reader, you should get one. Third, obtain recovery software to obtain the images from the memory card.

The program I have used recently, is Rescue Pro from San Disk. It costs $40 as a download. Others may know of a lesser cost option.

Collapse -
Recovering photos
by Rodax / June 18, 2005 4:13 PM PDT

Try recover-my-photos.com. It's a fast and free download. It allows you to see the pictures trapped on that card. If you decide to recover the pictures it's $27.

Collapse -
PC Inspector smart recovery
by rgfitz / June 19, 2005 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Recovering photos

is free and works for me every time.

It is fairly straightforward to use.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) In a card reader.
by rgfitz / June 19, 2005 1:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Recovering photos from formatted SD card
by mclarke / December 2, 2005 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Recovering photos

Will this work after an SD card was reformatted? Also, if I use this software on such a card and it doesn't work, will that further complicate getting my photos back? I haven't shot anything on the card after formatting.

Collapse -
Try Free Art Plus Digital Photo Recovery...
by nevenp / June 20, 2005 8:02 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.