Cameras forum

General discussion

Memory card + battery advice

Hi again,

So I'm ordering my Canon DRebel XT from B& H today, and am looking for memory card and battery recommendations.

Memory card - how many pictures can 1 Gig hold? Also what brand would you recommend - I'm deciding between Sandisk and Lexar. (i also heard Hitachi has a 3 gig selling for $150 - not sure how good it is though!)

Battery - do you recommend I get an extra battery for the XT? I'm actually not sure how good the battery life is.

many thanks, your advice appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory card + battery advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory card + battery advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The number of pictures depends on what file format is used

In reply to: Memory card + battery advice

for storage. My 20D can fit about 110 raw images on a 1gig card. I think the Rebel is comparable. I have a San Disk Extreme III 1gig which, the last time I looked, had one of the fastest speed ratings.

Forget the battery until you get some experience. My 20D has never needed a spare battery even on the occasion when I shot all day at a seminar (400 plus images shooting simultaneous raw and jpeg).

Collapse -
Memory card for Rebel

The DSLR cameras can take advantage of high speed cards, especially when doing burst shooting.

Here is a link to card testing for the Rebel:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699

The fastest cards are at the top of the list.
The slowest at the bottom.

Note: there have been compatibility problems between Lexar 2 gig cards and some Canon cameras.

Collapse -
Memory card + battery advice

I know for the battery batteryland.com i think, is good, for memory cards, you cant beat http://www.cell-savers.com

Both do worldwide delivery which is great.

With mass competition of memory, prices are very good. Ive used both companies and altho the prices may not be the best, the service and after sales is 110%

Unless you want to have a collection of memory for different albums, your best best is to go for the largest you can afford, that also goes for battery power. Its less hassle too.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.