Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

memory and mother boards.

by commie4christ / March 27, 2007 3:31 AM PDT

I want to upgrade my mother board because I have found that I have an off brand and I would like to upgrade my video card. I don't however want to have to buy new memory or a processor. I have an Intel Pentium 2.6 ghz processor. And i have ddr sdram. Does anyone know what mother board I could get. Can ddr and ddr2-dimm ram run in the same motherboard?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: memory and mother boards.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: memory and mother boards.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can ddr and ddr2-dimm ram run in the same motherboard?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 3:33 AM PDT

No. There are boards that have both type sockets but none allow installing more than 1 type.

Bob

Collapse -
ram types
by commie4christ / March 27, 2007 3:39 AM PDT

Ok so is ddr sdram the same as just ddr? When I am looking for motherboards.

Collapse -
For most, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: ram types

You can narrow it down with the pin count and form factor.

Bob

Collapse -
Let us know what you have and what you want to do
by linkit / March 27, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

What motherboard do you already have?
What video card do you already have?
What do you want to be able to do with the new video card?

Download and run CPU-Z (cpuid.com) to learn the manufacturer name and model number of your current motherboard.

You should have a socket 478 CPU with a Northwood core (confirm this with CPU-Z). That means you need to start your search by looking at socket 478 motherboards that support a P4 (not just Core Solo or Core Duo CPUs).

I only knew of three socket 478 P4 motherboards that had a PCI Express slot, they weren't the greatest boards, and they are getting difficult to find these days. You should still be able to find some good boards with i865 or i875 chipsets and AGP 8X video slots.

Another option that will allow you to keep your DDR memory is to move to a socket 939 AMD CPU & motherboard; but, if you are going to spend that much money, I'd just bite the bullet and build a complete Core 2 Duo system.

Collapse -
dell dimension 2350
by doubledeca / March 29, 2007 2:56 PM PDT

Got to this site via google. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance. My Dell Dimension 2350 cannot be upgraded to accept a x16 PCI express. I plan to build my own via Tiger or Egg. My question is: after removing the hard drive, floppy and CD r/w, will I be able to place them in any ATX case, or does it have to be a micro ATX. Also, will the hard drive (with my windows XP be automatically usable in the new machine? It was preloaded on the Dell. It didn't come with its own OS disk--just a restore disk.
TX
DD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!