Computer Help forum

General discussion

MEMORY ALMOST FULL

I have tons and tons of media files (music, video, pictures) on my computer and the memory is almost full. I want to transfer them to some sort of storage device but don't have a clue. Any and all help appreciated. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MEMORY ALMOST FULL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MEMORY ALMOST FULL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hard drive

In reply to: MEMORY ALMOST FULL

Notebook or desktop?
Computer model?
Operating system?

I think you mean that your ''hard drive'' is full. Add a second hard drive, either internal or external. Permanent backups of important data should be burned to CD or DVD because all hard drives fail at some point.

Collapse -
Hard drive

In reply to: hard drive

Hey, thanks for responding. I started to say hard drive and said memory instead :/

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 w/2.80ghz and 256mb of ram. I'm running windows xp with service pack #2.

Collapse -
Probably better off adding another hard drive internally

In reply to: Hard drive

And do your back up to DVDs.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
There is a third way to go.....

An X drive. There are all kinds of web sites out there that are willing to allow you to use their space to save data. I wouldn't use them for anything sentimental, but if it's easily replaced, why not? That way you don't need the new drive, the $, or the time it would take.
Am I wrong guys?
relentlesss

Collapse -
in reply to linkit

Why not get another 256 meg memory card from Dell so its compatible (did that some years' ago now - it much chaper now! I also installed a second hard drive and my husband is happily using this computer right now having had everything gradually upgraded by me! Now, I would NOT install a second hard drive, but buy an external (portable hard drive such as the Maxtor One Touch II which comes with the software and it is so easy to back up to that, so if you computer dies on you, you have the external one to save you! Good luck from
"ukgirl"

Collapse -
another good idea

In reply to: in reply to linkit

I have no problem with going from 256MB of system memory to 512MB. In fact, 512MB is often recommended as a starting amount to make Windows XP ''comfortable.''

You don't have to buy from Dell to ensure RAM compatability. You buy from Dell to ensure you pay too much. Wink

There are tradeoffs. I do like external drives, expecially if I make them myself (much cheaper). Internal drives seem to have less issues than externals that are moved from computer to computer. Ironically, a common solution for externals that become problematic is to pop them out of the external enclosure and make them a secondary internal drive!

''ukgirl?'' I used to know a girl at the University of Kentucky. (Just kidding--God save the queen!)

Collapse -
Two ways you can explore

One is to purchase an internal HDD, slave it to the primary drive and simply copy/paste the data over to it.

I recently bought a Maxtor 100GB external USB HDD from Best buy for $68.00 and moved all my STUFF over to it.

There is also CD or DVD. I think USB pen drives now go to 2GB.

Collapse -
Also might want to try

In reply to: Two ways you can explore

When I got my first computer I wanted a bigger Harddrive. So I got one at CompUSA and got the bigger HD. That new drive came with a disk that had a program in it to transfer or copy everything over the the new drive.

So I would say, if you have not gotten your new HD yet, look for on that says it has this program on the box for the HD. The one that I bought was a Maxtor. This was about 4 or 5 years ago. But I would think that they new drives should have the same stuff in the box. On my box it says, "Includes "All You Need" Upgrade Kit".

Collapse -
Another thought.....

You have a heck of a big machine there. I know you say the space is used by media files and they can be huge, however.....
Are you sure you are _really_ used up? Is your pc fully protected from all the malware out there? I had to reformat this pc after only one year because I wasn't up to date when I got dsl. My mem got used up by all kinds of garbage I didn't even know about. It's been a year since the refor and BIG defensive tactics and I still have 60% of my hd empty
Just a thought.
relentlesss

Collapse -
Guess so

In reply to: Another thought.....

I think I'm fully used up b/c when I try to defrag it's telling me I don't have enough space available for defrag to run. Currently I use Symnatec Anti-virus, Ad-aware, Aol has there own anti-spyware..., and I also use Spybot. What other defensive measures could I take?

Collapse -
Another approach (there are many)

I take it that by 'memory almost full', what you really mean is that your hard drive is nearly full.. The 'memory' in a machine (RAM) is volatile, when you power down, everything in it goes away. Hard drives are more lasting (but NOT truly permanent).

To upgrade a drive, my procedure is:

a> first run the Windows supplied utility programs (or aftermarket ones if you have and prefer them) to scan and defragment the existing drive. "Scandisk" is the Windows disk checking utility, and there is a defragmentation pgm also. They should be available thru: start>programs>Accessories>System Tools (this is for 98SE. The path may be slightly different for dif versions of windows.

b>'Back up' existing drive. This creates an exact copy of everything on the existing drive. Backups may be done with several available programs. Some come with new hard drives. Others are 'aftermarket' - i.e. sold by independent vendors after you buy your computer. My personal favorite is Norton "Ghost". Ghost lets you create an exact copy of your hard drive on writable CDs. You have to have a writing CD drive in your machine to do this - but you should anyway these days. If you are buying one, check to see that Ghost supports the drive you plan to buy. There is a list under Ghost on the Symantec.com web site.

It is possible to create more than one 'partition' on a hard drive. This causes the additional partitions to appear as additional drives. Your machine is set up this way if you have a "D:, E:, ... " drive in addition to the C: drive, and the additional drives are not CDs or DvDs. People often do this to keep data separated for easy finding of files. I have 6 different partitions on my drive: C: thru H:. Ghost will handle this by copying all partitions.

You should have a 'fairly fresh' backup at all times. If your hard drive 'crashes' - i.e. the heads grind into the magnetic surface on the platters - and this can happen at any time - everything will be lost. With a backup, you can fairly quickly restore your system on a new hard drive. Without it, you probably will NEVER get everything back - including your tax records, etc.

c> once you have 'backed up' your system - make an 'emergency start up floppy' using Ghost. Choose the option that provides CD drive support.

d> power down the machine, and replace the hard drive with the new one. Note the instructions with the new one as to how to set jumpers on the new drive, and whether the new cable (if you use it) requires setting the jumpers to 'cable select' (in this case the cable will usually be marked 'master' and 'slave' - or be two different color connectors at the drive ends).

e> Restart the machine using the Ghost boot disk you just made. Machine will come up in DOS running Ghost. Select 'image to local drive' function, tell the pgm to use the CD drive for input, put the first CD in the drive, and hit GO.

f> load each CD in turn to be read.. the screen display will show your progress. When you read and load the last disk, your system is restored.

g> Since the new disk is larger than the old one.. the restored disk will only be on part of the new one. (The image/restore process creates an EXACT copy of the old disk. The extra space on the new drive is not in any partition on the original disk - so it will not immediately be accessable. You can use "Partition Magic", or a bunch of other partition management programs to resize the partitions on the new drive to use the entire space of the new disk. You can make the partitions different sizes - depending upon how much additional storage you think you will want in each partition. If you change your mind later - it is easy to re-run partition magic to change the existing partitions and move the stored data.

When you get the new disk the way you want it - back it up again. This way, you can directly restore the drive with the new (larger) partitions in one step. I back my system up every 3 months - and store the CDs in a fireproof container. At 20 cents each.. CDs are a cheap,easy way to do this.. readily available too..

Good luck

Rabbit

Collapse -
THANKS!!

Wow, guys thanks for all the information.

I believe the hard drive is almost full b/c when i try to defrag i get this message ''Volume C: has only 0% free space available for use by Disk Defragmenter. To run effectively, Disk defragmenter requires at least 15% usable free space...''

I'm still undecided but I think I'm going to look into the external drive and upgrading from 256mb to 512mb. I have to admit I have never backed up my machine :(. That Norton Ghost described by Rabbit seems a bit complicated to me though so I'll look into other alternatives for that as well.

Thanks again

Collapse -
HD almost full

Easiest and best method I'd recommend would be to get some CD-R or CD-RW disc's.Transfer everything possible that you wish to keep onto these CD's and then delete the copies from your HD.Each CD will hold 700 MG of programming although,now,there are some which will hold a full GB of data but are more expensive.Once you have everything onto the CD's,as stated,delete from Hard Drive.In future if you want to use one of the programs you've stored on CD,simply put the disc in drawer and re-load that program,use it and take it out agin when done.You'll find that each and every program or feature you store on a CD will be clearly marked/named on the CD by the mane you give it and all are clearly visible,easy to find and transfer back onto HD.SS

Collapse -
external hd

U might get an external hd or internal.. that could help u..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.