Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Memories of hurricanes past

As Frances bears down on Florida I am recalling small vignettes of memories of hurricanes past experienced by people I knew and myself also.

I hope others will add flash memories of their own.

1) the hurricane of 1926, Miami Fl. The 125mph winds whipped the city for fully 12 hours.

a)My uncle was a four year old. This storm gave him his very first visual memory: watching the roof of the neigbor's detached garage suddenly loft right off the building, and lazily cartwheel down the street until it disintegrated.
b)My granddad was a physician. He took good advantage of the Eye, by hopping into the Essex and speeding to his hospital two miles away. The injured would be pouring in, you see.
c)Years ago I knew an elderly man who as young man roomed in a cottage on NW 36th street. He and his companions spent the long night bodily leaning against a flimsey french door that it might not blow in. For if that happens you know, the house is liable to explode.

2)Hurricane Andrew 1992. My best friend's former wife was so much in denial of the hurricane threat, she took a sleeping pill and went to bed that August night. In the wee hours she awoke as seawater lapped over the bedspead. Her little dog yapped and barked in alarm. Betty is 4'11" tall. With tiny dog under arm and a flashlite in the other, in the dark, Betty found her front door impossible to open. Out next to the attached gararge with it's automatic door opener, useless without power. She found a flashlight by now, and somehow reached that small pull chain to bypass the opener mechanism. Betty got that door opened only one panel-width, but that was enough to squeeze through under water. From there, Betty's luck improved: the storm surge at her home's elevation did not pass four feet from the floor. And her street ascends in grade going from the water to the limestone ridge a block away. In this height of water and full force winds and no light, with debris flying, she bobbed, jumped and in bare feet somehow made it up to the higher ground a block away, and found sanctuary and saved her dog to boot.
b)Post-storm insurance estimator work: I saw it all. One home proudly retained badge of passing: A concrete roof tile intact but imbedded hachet-style in the soft pine front door panel.
c)in another home the plate glass windows and sliding doors fore and aft in the living room blew out. A heavy, full sized old time upright piano -had- been firmly against a flat wall. When I saw it, it had been waltzed out by the winds and spun around into the middle of the room. Still standing upright- which is remarkable becuase these old type pianos have a very high center of gravity.
d)my home didn't suffer. It was even -quiet- inside while the storm blew outside. The soud of rain and the occasional skitter of a concrete roof tile across the others was the general atmosphere. In the 40' long florida room as we call a solarium here, the four pairs of wood framed sliding doors presented a remarkable sight and sound: the angle of the sustained winds was such that the four by seven foot tempered solid glass was put under sustained negative pressure as compared inside the room. This made the glass bow outwardly a full, measured one quarter inch! Had that glass shattered I guess given the circumstances, my home would've survived- but only due to luck of the special circumstances.

Tell your own pesonal or next-person experiences. I know with sad certainty there will be a crop of searingly raw responses to this post- new pains that are just about to happen. God help us I wish to say but only we can save ourselves.

Still, I prefer hurricanes to any of the other common natural disasters because they are eminently survivable

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memories of hurricanes past
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memories of hurricanes past
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
add: the -sound- of sliding doors under suction

In reply to: Memories of hurricanes past

Did you ever as a kid, cup a blade of grass between your palms and blow? That is a miniature version of the sound our doors made at the overlap of sliding panel and fixed panel. Being large and massive, the sonic frequency of this buzz was at foghorn level and seemed just as loud! The relative windspeeds could aways be guaged by the door-horns, becuase only gusts made the erie scream. And only the 150mph+ gusts made all four scream at once.

Collapse -
What vivid descriptions!

I live in Texas and have only gone through one direct hurricane and that was Carla, in 61 or 62 I think. It was slated to make land in the Freeport area and since I lived in a town, not too far inland, that would be in the path I went South to stay with my parents. Carla moved, stalled, moved and stalled some more. My parents lived in a large wood house and there were 5 families taking shelter there. Mom had two large turkeys in the freezer and she took both of them out. There were people sleeping, off and on, all over the house. LOL

In the last couple of hour or so before making land Carla turned and hit Palacios head on coming right through the town I was in. Rain wasn't all that bad but the winds were horrific. And yes that old house made all kinds of noises. One small tree whose branches came through the kitchen window was uprooted. Wouldn't you know that was one of the few windows that hadn't been boarded up. My dad and uncles really scrambled with heavy cardboard and lumber to nail that window shut after pulling the tree away from the house.

The damage wasn't too bad in that town but Palacios was almost wiped out. About a week later dad drove us there and there still were houses in the middle of fields, parts of buildings by the roadside and the boat marina that my dad had worked on only a few weeks before was completely gone.

Collapse -
Re: Memories of hurricanes past

Enjoyed your descriptive writing, but fortunately I have no first had experience. But thanks for a good read.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.