HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Mel Gibson's father says the Holcaust was mostly 'fiction'

by Josh K / February 24, 2004 12:16 AM PST
Gibson Father: Holocaust Mostly 'Fiction'

NEW YORK - Days before the release of Mel Gibson's film about the death of Jesus, which some critics say could fuel anti-Semitism, his father has told an interviewer that the Holocaust was mostly "fiction."

Steve Feuerstein ? host of "Speak Your Piece!" ? said he interviewed Hutton Gibson for a segment of his show to be broadcast Monday by the small Talkline Communications Network.

According to a transcript released by the network, Hutton Gibson said, "It's all ? maybe not all fiction ? but most of it is," when asked about his views on the Holocaust.

He added: "They claimed that there were 6.2 million (Jews) in Poland before the war and after the war there were 200,000, therefore he (Hitler) must have killed 6 million of them. They simply got up and left. They were all over the Bronx and Brooklyn and Sydney and Los Angeles."

The interview comes at a sensitive time for Mel Gibson, whose epic "The Passion of the Christ" is due to open Wednesday.

Mel can't be happy about this. I wonder if he said "OY!" when he heard about it.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mel Gibson's father says the Holcaust was mostly 'fiction'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mel Gibson's father says the Holcaust was mostly 'fiction'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's just great.
by Dan McC / February 24, 2004 12:33 AM PST

He won't believe something that happened 60 years ago and is fabulously documented with living survivors and everything. Yet he believes several thousand year old, contradictory accounts of events that happened hundreds or thousands of years before the accounts were written.

Priceless.

Dan

Collapse -
Gee Dan...did you read the article.....
by John Robie / February 24, 2004 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: That's just great.

He believes it happened 60 years ago, but questions how they came up with the figure of 6 million.

"They claimed that there were 6.2 million (Jews) in Poland before the war and after the war there were 200,000, therefore he (Hitler) must have killed 6 million of them."

His other comments were also not in good taste.

Collapse -
(NT) There are times when I wished I'd kept my mouth shut (no comments please) but I sure wish he'd kept these silly thoughts to himself. Regards, Mo
by Mosonnow / February 24, 2004 12:43 AM PST

Collapse -
and the relevance of the senior Gibson's views is?
by Kiddpeat / February 24, 2004 2:27 AM PST

I heard the Sawyer interview. Mel Gibson stated quite clearly that he believes the holocaust occurred, and that 6+ million people were killed. The statement in the story:

'Asked in media interviews whether he shares his father's views, Mel Gibson has said that he loves his father and will not speak against him.'

looks like a deliberate misrepresentation. This 'article' isn't even signed, so we don't know who wrote it.

Collapse -
Re: the relevance of the senior Gibson's views is: the pigs are flying!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 24, 2004 2:31 AM PST

Hi, KP.

We agree. OTOH, I have zero desire to see the film -- I still recall a retreat given by a Passionist father when I was in HS, focusing on the physical suffering by "word pictures" That was brutal enough...

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Not surprising, even Christ...

...asked that he not endure the Passsion if there was any other way to meet God's requirements for man's salvation from sin. Nevertheless, he did endure it. Maybe you can find time to watch it. It's got to be a lot easier than Christ had it.

Collapse -
Dave, if you're truly Christian
by Dan McC / February 24, 2004 2:58 AM PST

you'll spend $7.50 to see this movie.

Don't forget the $8.75 for a soda and popcorn.

Dan

PS: James, why do you belittle Dave for not wanting to see a movie?

Collapse -
Dave is surprising me like Andy Rooney did with the unexplained Wacko statement
by John Robie / February 24, 2004 3:05 AM PST

since Dave is/was of the same religion as Mel.

Collapse -
There are cults within cults

within cults ad infinitum. Even within the catholic church.

Dan

Collapse -
Re:Re: the relevance of the senior Gibson's views is: the pigs are flying!

When I was in the 3rd grade in 1940, all the children in several grades were marched about 10 blocks to the local Theater (movie house) and shown a full length movie on the life of Christ and his crucification. It was very dramatic showing all aspects and I can still remember the violence of thorns and nails going through. In those days a note was not sent to parents and we children had no idea who was Jewish in school or even cared, but they apparently were with us to watch the free movie.

Have seen several type movies since. I may not see this latest Mel movie right now, but will surely see or tape it when it comes on satellite TV or at BlockBusters.

Collapse -
I'm betting even today a lot of Jews...

...will see this Christ movie too. Not all Jews hate Christ, nor approve of how he was treated in those days. In the Judaic Enclyopedia he gets a good treatment, although Paul is treated much differently. If the ADL and some other radical groups get this upset on a film about Christ, can you imagine the roar of outrage if a graphic film on the life of Paul was done?

Collapse -
Re:I'm betting even today a lot of Jews...
by Josh K / February 24, 2004 4:57 AM PST
Not all Jews hate Christ....

Well gee, thanks a LOT. I have never met or heard of a single Jewish person who hates Jesus. That remark is really over the line, James.
Collapse -
Seeing something that's not there?
by James Denison / February 24, 2004 5:07 AM PST

How so? I was giving them general ethnic credit for their portrayal of Christ in a major publication for Jewish people, the Judaic Encylopedia. When I was researching Paul at the same time, it was obvious he got the same treatment in there as Mel Gibson seems to be getting lately, and maybe a bit worse. I try to be fair in telling the truth, even if it sometimes stings a bit.

Collapse -
Re:Seeing something that's not there?
by Josh K / February 24, 2004 5:14 AM PST

James, "not all Jews hate Christ" implies that most do. Perhaps that's not what you meant to say.

Collapse -
If it makes you feel better...
by James Denison / February 24, 2004 5:26 AM PST

...I don't believe a signifigant number of Jews hate Christ. Probably the biblical description is the better one, a stone of stumbling to them. I think Jews have an uncomfortable relation to Christ for the most part, neither wanting to reject him outright, but not willing to accept him for who he claimed to be, while at the same time still looking for someone similar to him as their Messiah.

Collapse -
Re:If it makes you feel better...
by Josh K / February 24, 2004 5:36 AM PST

I can't speak for us all, but I think Jesus was a pretty cool guy. I've had some interesting conversations about him with Jews and non-Jews alike.

I hope the phrase "pretty cool guy" doesn't offend.

Collapse -
Re:Re:If it makes you feel better...
by James Denison / February 24, 2004 12:34 PM PST

No offense. I remembered another reason I had the impression some Jews hated Christ. I've known several Jewish Christians, people that converted from Judaism to Christianity. It has always created a problem between them and members of their families. One, who eventually became a part time Christian preacher was even "disowned" or whatever the term, by his father. He married a woman who was not Jewish, who was a divorcee, which increased his father's angst I think. After years passed ~20 they reconciled just before his father's death. This particular Jewish father had influenced the brothers for awhile to reject him too, but that faded quicker till finally it was just the father alone that maintained it. This son had to quit working with his father and one brother in real estate, he was fired. He struggled, needing help from friends, one my father, till the real estate business he eventually started after getting a broker's license finally succeeded. Other Jewish Christians I have known experienced similar stories, though usually of lesser family retribution against them. How is one to understand such rejection of one's child on religious grounds? Of course it's not just Jews, but sometimes that is seen among conversions from one Christian viewpoint to another, but most often those groups who act that way are looked on more like a cult in their attitude, since that sort of rejection was not the attitude of Christ toward those who didn't follow him.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:If it makes you feel better...
by Josh K / February 24, 2004 10:12 PM PST

Such disowning was dealt with in the film The Jazz Singer, which is about a rabbi's son who wanted to be a nightclub singer rather than follow his father into religious service. It's a pride and tradition thing, complete with its own rituals (the tearing of the left sleeve as a symbol of the severing of the relationship), and in more recent times I've heard the argument that since the Holocaust, it's every Jew's responsibility to help replenish our numbers, and you can't do that by converting or marrying outside the faith. "Hatred" of Jesus really never entered into it.

FWIW my wife is Catholic and "is she Jewish?" was only the 2nd question my mother asked when I first told her about our relationship. Happy

Collapse -
Dammit, Josh! ! !
by Dan McC / February 24, 2004 10:51 PM PST

We gotta know. What was the first question? ? ?

Dan

I can't believe you'd leave us hanging like this.

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Naturally enough, it was 'what's her name?' :-)
by Josh K / February 24, 2004 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Dammit, Josh! ! !

Collapse -
Re:Re:I'm betting even today a lot of Jews...
by Mark G / February 24, 2004 9:07 PM PST

way way over the line

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:I'm betting even today a lot of Jews...
by Dan McC / February 24, 2004 10:52 PM PST

So far over the line you'd need the HST to see it from where he is here.

Dan

Collapse -
Re:I'm betting even today a lot of Jews...
by John Robie / February 24, 2004 5:14 AM PST

Hate Christ....poor choice of word IMO James.

I've always been under the impression that Jews look at us with some admiration for our Christian religion being what it is for homage to Christ who was a Jew.

I also have never met a Jew who hated Christ.

Collapse -
Now that you mention it...
by James Denison / February 24, 2004 5:20 AM PST

...I probably got that impression from reading some translations of the Talmud in the past. Anyway, I only thought a small number felt that way today. When I see attacks on religious symbols in America by the ACLU, it contributes to that impression, and probably not just me. When I see the ADL attacking Gibson without any just cause, it gives one pause to consider the motivations.

Collapse -
(NT) Agree.
by John Robie / February 24, 2004 5:24 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:Now that you mention it...
by Josh K / February 24, 2004 5:29 AM PST

Unfortunately that kind of thing happens all the time. People decry a film as racist/anti-whatever without ever having seen it. Remember the uproar over "The Last Temptation of Christ?" All that fuss was also started by people who had not seen the film. Shows like "Godspell" were also denounced by people who hadn't seen them.

The ACLU is not attacking religious symbols. They're just trying to uphold the Constitution. Sometimes they have to do things that some people don't like, as in the times they defended groups like the KKK. Even views that most decent people find repugnant are protected by the First Amendment.

Collapse -
Re:Now that you mention it...
by Dan McC / February 24, 2004 10:58 PM PST

How does the ACLU's support for the separation of church and state contribute to your feeling that Jews hate Christ? What's the connection?

Dan

Collapse -
My wife and I plan to see it. I have warned my daughter

that it might be very upsetting. She is planning to take a pass for now.

Collapse -
Of course it's not signed! They saw what happened to Connie Chung for doing same!!
by James Denison / February 24, 2004 2:46 AM PST
Sad
Collapse -
Oh well, he's entitled to his opinion. The real story is...
by James Denison / February 24, 2004 2:44 AM PST

...why he seems so important to all these news media that keep getting quotes from him they can rush to press? What did the elder Gibson do that merits their devotion to his opinions? Nothing of note that I have heard of. Therefore the news media's devotion to the elder Gibson obviously has it's motivating factors coming from some other reason. And there is the REAL story, and the real shame, the kind of shame that Connie Chung properly had to endure for her actions toward the mother of Newt Gingrich. It is the kind of shame those who now do the same with the elder Gibson should also suffer, aka the effective end of their careers too. They have reached a new low.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.