Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Megapixel, Resolution Question

by jodcha / June 11, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

Hello,

I have a 7 megapixel camera.
After taking pictures and opened it in Photoshop, the pictures are in 72 dpi thus image size is BIG - 42x32 inch!
Is this considered as low-res picture?

I need to submit some of these photos for work and they required min. 300 dpi.
Can I just change the resolution in Photoshop>Image>ImageSize?
I am thinking to uncheck ?Resample Image? and change the resolution to 300.

Is this the right way to do?

Is there a way to set the camera to take higher resolution (thus smaller in image size) pictures?
The only setting I can find is the megapixel option.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Megapixel, Resolution Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Megapixel, Resolution Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DPI is ... well not meaning for this. But...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 5:04 AM PDT

From memory I can change it with IRFANVIEW or other tools so this "data field" meets their specs. Think carefully about this and why it's not going to affect the picture in any way, shape or form.

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/changedpi.html

IRFANVIEW is free and found with google.com

Bob

Collapse -
not exactly sure what the previous poster meant...
by kcoppock / June 15, 2007 1:48 PM PDT

...but yeah, you've got the right idea. Unchecking "Resample Image" won't affect the image data at all, it just changes the physical dimensions, and increases the amount of dots PER the specified dimension (in, mm, etc.)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!