Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Meet the new boss....

by Dan McC / September 14, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

You know how it goes.

In order to facilitate real change McCain has picked a long time Washington insider and, get this, a lobbyist for, that's right, the petroleum industry.

Change you can believe in.

He's been a lobbyist since he scurried out of the White House with the rest of the Nixon cabal.

That's reform!

Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Meet the new boss....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Meet the new boss....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Change"
by critic411 / September 14, 2008 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Meet the new boss....

Joe Biden !!!
HA !

Collapse -
Plagarists of a feather flock together...
by Tonytryke / September 14, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: "Change"
Collapse -
Maverick
by JP Bill / September 14, 2008 2:01 AM PDT

2. One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter.

adj.

Being independent in thought and action or exhibiting such independence: maverick politicians; a maverick decision.

Voted with Bush 90+%

Independent in thought BUT NOT in action or exhibiting such independence?

Some maverick

Collapse -
Obama has also voted with Bush the majority of the time...
by EdHannigan / September 14, 2008 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Maverick

McCain HAS gone against his party and the President, and raised some ire because of it. That is not disputable.

Why not leave OUR politics to US? You might know something about Canadian issues, but you don't seem very informed about US issues.

Collapse -
Why not leave OUR politics to US
by JP Bill / September 14, 2008 2:32 AM PDT

Do you wonder why other countries on the planet ask the same of the US?

Collapse -
(NT) You mean Iraq, Bolivia, Pakistan? Good question.
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 2:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
not at all
by oldie and goody / September 14, 2008 4:35 AM PDT

A Bush slam was it Kees?

Collapse -
A slam?
by critic411 / September 14, 2008 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: not at all

Of course, but don't say anything !!
It'll get deleted.

Collapse -
O no.
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: not at all

I was just asking JP Bill to clarify his question, so that EdH would be able to give a better answer to it, by making a few possible suggestions.
This was the question: "Do you wonder why other countries on the planet ask the same of the US?". And obviously some clarification was needed, because EdH didn't answer yet.

Do I understand correctly you believe that the Bolivian accusations against America (leading them to send the American ambassador back home) are true, and not just serve local policy purposes?
That's the only way I can interpret your interpretation of my remark as Bush bashing.

Kees

Collapse -
I have no iinterest in participating ...
by EdHannigan / September 14, 2008 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: O no.

in an "America is Evil" subthread, sorry. We were talking about the US election and I am only puzzled why non-citizens feel compelled to horn in on candidates they can't vote for and those positions they apparently don't comprehend.

Bill has become famous for his endless meanders to nowhere, etc.

Collapse -
The reason to NOT leave discussions about ...
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 5:48 AM PDT

American elections to Americans only might be that the USA is still a superpower with a big worldwide influence. That makes it an interesting subject for others also.
Be glad there's more worldwide interest in American politics than in, say, politics of Monaco.

Kees

Collapse -
Want to restrict what I/others say ?
by JP Bill / September 14, 2008 2:53 AM PDT

I/they join a forum that you moderate (that ain't gonna' happen, not with me anyway)

You get a mod to delete my/their post

Want to restrict what you read?

You know the answer to that...in fact you've even told someone else what to do when they don't like what they read.

Collapse -
Absolute BS
by EdHannigan / September 14, 2008 3:44 AM PDT

I have never told anyone what to say. You can spout whatever nonsense you wish and I am free to comment on it as I wish.

Collapse -
And, of course,
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Absolute BS

the other way around. That makes SE so much fun.

Kees

Collapse -
Ed, if that's your attitude
by Dan McC / September 14, 2008 9:27 AM PDT

why don't you stay on forums with only US citizens?

Dan

Collapse -
Why respond...
by EdHannigan / September 14, 2008 2:15 AM PDT

to an obvious troll?

Both McCain and Palin have real records as reformers. What's Obama done?

A person is not evil because he has worked for an oil company.

The lefties are really stretching now. Very bogus and worthless, IMHO.

Collapse -
So I assume ...
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Why respond...

you'll vote McCain, because - if Obama became president - nothing would change? And reform and change is urgent.

Can you tell what reform and what change you prefer above the lousy way things are going on right now?

Kees

Collapse -
Maybe inform yourself about a few things.
by EdHannigan / September 14, 2008 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: So I assume ...

And I see not proof or evidence that "reform and change is urgent." I think that's a catch phrase more than anything else. Same old sam e old.

McCain and Palin actually have records of reform. What's Obama's?

Hmmmmm...?

Collapse -
What use is a record of reform ...
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 2:51 AM PDT

if it isn't needed? Then I would prefer a record of stability.

It seems to me that you don't know what you want or can't express your thoughts about it.

Kees

Collapse -
Stability...
by J. Vega / September 14, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

I'd like to have had "stability" in my property taxes on the little farm I own. The County raised my property tax on it by 1100 percent. That is not a typo, 1100 percent. That hurt. That's what I fear about Obama and the Democrats. It was haded to accumulate the little bit I have. Owing a little bit of property after 20 years of paying it off or owning something that pay dividends does not make me wealthy.

Collapse -
I really don't think ...
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Stability...

federal taxes will be increased 1100%. Although they certainly could use some more now they'll have to pay not only the troups in Iraq and Afghanistan but an unknown amount for Freddie and Fanny May and probably Lehman Brothers also.

Anyway, best of luck with selling your farm. Are the farm prices falling like the house prices?

Kees

Collapse -
The property tax...
by J. Vega / September 14, 2008 3:56 AM PDT

The property tax to which I referred was a county tax. Yes, house prices have gone down. I expected that. It reminds me of the dot.com bust in the past, many people thought you could buy a house and it was sure to go up in value.
A good example of this line of thought is the "Flip This House" TV show. For a long time it showed people buying old houses, fixing them up, and immediately reselling them for a big profit. That little pyramid was bound to hit a wall sooner or later.
Yesterday, they did a show that had something that caught my eye. Two people bought a house in California that should have been condemned as a health hazard long ago. It was a tiny little rotting pile of junk, but they paid something like $200,000 for it. They spent about $150,000 fixing it up, and put it on the market for the amount that had into it plus a projected profit of about $150,000. They didn't show a sale. I think that bubble burst. But what caught my eye about that show was a neighbor coming by the work site and screaming at the flippers. And I do mean screaming about then driving up the price of houses in the neighborhood. He blamed Bush specifically for house prices being driven up. He reminded me of some people who complain about the current state of the house market- blame Bush instead of the people who speculated, or should I say gambled, on real estate.

Collapse -
I agree.
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: The property tax...

House-prices aren't an object of federal care. It's the market that determines them. And markets can be rather irrational (like the people who form them).

On the long run, a market economy is better than a centrally leaded one (like they had in the USSR). But sometimes unexpected or even unpleasant things are happening. And even in normal circumstances some form of monitoring and regulating is necessary. You wouldn't be happy in a totally free economy.
But all of that has little relationship to the price of real estate.

Kees

Collapse -
And it seems to me...
by EdHannigan / September 14, 2008 3:35 AM PDT

that you don't know what you are talking aboutl.

Bye now.

Collapse -
(NT) So we all have our thoughts.
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: And it seems to me...
Collapse -
(NT) book writer
by lkloss / September 14, 2008 12:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Something sounds familiar...
by J. Vega / September 14, 2008 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: So I assume ...

With Obama, something sounds familiar to me. He reminds me of Huey "Kingfish" Long's "Share Our Wealth" campaign. The idea of income redistribution makes me nervous.

Collapse -
Then you happen to be ...
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 2:49 AM PDT

on the higher than average side at the moment?

Kees

Collapse -
Not at all...
by J. Vega / September 14, 2008 3:08 AM PDT

Not at all, I'm living on Social Security and a small disability pension. I managed to finally pay off my little farm and will sell it. The money I get will be invested in stocks looking for the dividends. This money will be banked and/or reinvested, as I realize the one day I may need "assisted living".
I worry about Obama going after my dividend income. Several elderly people, including my mother, get by helped by dividend income added to their Social Security. An increase in the taxes on those dividends would hurt.
I don't see the economy as being in as as dire a condition as you seem to. I had some quite bad breaks in my life, but survived, and get along reasonably well in the economy.

Collapse -
It really all depends on the details ...
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 3:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Not at all...

of the tax system. Here in the Netherlands, we pay 1.2% a year on all the money we own independent of where it is: a savings account, equity, bonds or real estate (but not the house we live in). But the first USD 55.000 is totally free. So you only pay if you've got more than USD 55.000 of investments.
That's 30% of a supposed income of 4% of the total amount (in the form of dividend or interest).

Of course we pay tax on other income (from work or pension) also. That 1.2% is on the assets.

Both the percentage and the free amount of 55.000 are political choices, of course. But it's "better" then the old situation, when interest was added to your regular income and taxed with 42% or 52% percent.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.