HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Medion Laptops??

by chaos598-20591443419206562473357205651461 / May 16, 2005 3:56 AM PDT

Does anyone own or have any recommendations about Medion laptops? I'm looking into buying a laptop when i go back to school and I've narrowed it down to 4 choices:

1. Apple iBook (12'' version): I'm doubtful about getting one because I'm an engineer and don't know if it'll run everything I need. About 1200 with Apple care etc.

2. ACER: acer 1681WLCI-XPH NoteBook Pentium M 1.5GHz 15.4'' WXGA 512MB DDR333 80GB DVD/CD-RW Combo Intel Extreme Graphics 2 - $1000 with ACER extended warranty. Best bang for buck, but its a lot heavier than the others at 6.5 pounds.

3. Medion: Akoya LS 1.6GHz Pentium M, 512MB DDR, 60 GB HD, DVD/CDRW, 4.4 pounds, 3 in 1 card reader, 12.1'' display. $1100

4. ABS: ABS C4 ABS C4 NoteBook Pentium M 1.6GHz(725) 12.1'' WXGA 512MB DDR333 60GB 5400rpm DVD/CD-RW Combo Intel Extreme Graphics 2 - $1200. 4.4 pounds.

Any suggestions, comments or reccomendations are appreciated. IF anyone wants to suggest any other options feel free as well.. budget is around 1200-1300.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Medion Laptops??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Medion Laptops??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sharing the lesson.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2005 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Medion Laptops??

Never buy those units where they buy them in bulk and don't stock parts. 2 of the 4 companies stock parts, have a nationwide service system and more. The other two went to the printshop to print labels.

Bob

Collapse -
It looks too good to be true, any thoughts?
by treader / May 22, 2005 1:00 PM PDT

Hi,

Best Buy has a laptop line that I am not very familiar with (I know it is a German-based company). The specs look fabulous for the price point, and, regrettably, I am really cost-conscious right now Sad ...

I have found very little on the web about this brand and individual's experiences.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Medion - Akoya EX Notebook with Intel

Collapse -
Bad keyboard
by erikrhodes / May 22, 2005 3:29 PM PDT

I just became aware of these myself; apparently this company has been around in Europe for a while but is just making inroads in the U.S. It just got here, I don't know what their support/repair network would be like.

I tried the 12.1 and 15 inch at Best Buy this weekend. I really like EXCEPT you really have to pound the keyboard to get the letters to work. If gently tap any key, it doesn't fully work. Very frustrating, but both machines had this problem.

Collapse -
Medions...
by chaos598-20591443419206562473357205651461 / May 22, 2005 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad keyboard

I think I'm gonna take the mod's advice and stay away from them until they become better established. Customer service is pretty important for laptops especially and I'll probably look to a more brand name type product. Recently been looking at Fujitsu (they have some awesome ultraportables and thin-and-lites).

Collapse -
good call
by erikrhodes / May 23, 2005 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Medions...

That's a good point; I'm on my 3rd laptop and needed service 3 times on the first (Compaq), 2 times on the second (Sony Vaio), and have already needed a new hard drive on my Dell (after only 8 months!). I had each about 3 years (except the new Dell). I got the 3 year warranty on each box and pretty much needed it for the whole three years, I wouldn't get any laptop without a reliable 3-year warranty. They're cramming a lot of parts from a lot of different manufacturers in a really small space, they're probably destined to have problems, doesn't seem to matter what manufacturer. Repairs would kill without the warranty.

Collapse -
yeah right
by preston83 / May 30, 2005 9:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad keyboard

that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. I have the computer and it works fine. you have to press a button to make it work. not tap it.

Collapse -
medion keys
by erikrhodes / May 31, 2005 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah right

All I can say is that I tried the two different models of Medions at Best Buy and you really have to push those keys to make them work, you should be able to lightly tap them to get them to work, shouldn't need a lot of pressure. Folks, try it for yourself before buying.

Collapse -
Medion vs. Acer notebooks
by dodig69 / May 24, 2005 11:53 PM PDT

I have been buying notebook computers for business and personal use over the past 5 years. I can tell you this, you will be VERY happy with the Acer notebook-I am delighted with my Acer Aspire 1681 with a 1.5 Ghz Mobile Pentium processor with Centrino. This notebook is FAST,boots up like a cheetah, has an Awesome Crystal Bright 15.4 WXGA screen (just beware, it's reflective screen works best indoors), it's very thin and light at barely 6 lbs for a 15.4 screen. Acer has been well known in the U.S.A. for over 15 years- who knows what kind of service you can get from Medion? I also got an awesome deal (899 bucks) from NewEgg, who deliver FAST and cheap with FedEX 2-day shipping for 6 bucks or less. What's not to like?
OK, I'll tell ya...My only (minor) beef about the Acer is the speakers are not very loud-which is typical for a notebook-so, since I love the bright screen and also wanted top-notch sound, I invested in an Audigy 2 ZS 24-bit sound card that slipped right into the pc card slot-Now this Acer kicks butt in every area!
Bottom-line, Take my advice, stick with a computer manufacturer like Acer that uses top-notch components, has got Dozens of High-bang-for-the-buck lightweight notebooks and has been doing business in the U.S.A, for a long time.

Collapse -
I have a Medion Akoya LS
by Chibby / May 27, 2005 5:48 AM PDT

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. 12" screen is beautiful 1280x800.

I was able to upgrade the HDD to 80gb and memory to 1gb w/out too much hassel (but with little help from their support.)

Two issues:
- Support is weak. My three questions to the support desk / email were met with a written and verbal shrug.

- The laptop lock is not usable with the battery installed. This is poor design.

- I am hoping to find a second internal hard drive enclosure, but Medion does not offer one. The support people told me it was a "standard" size, but they won't tell me whose standard (Thinkpad, compaq, etc. don't seem to fit.)

The graphics card shares the main memory, so with 1024mb installed, I have 992mb available to the OS (32mb goes to the video.)

Like I said - the screen is beautiful, its very light, and I find the keyboard to be very comfortable for touch typing and programming.

Collapse -
Pentium M cpu ending in 5 instead of 0 is old standard
by KenSanramon / May 27, 2005 5:47 PM PDT

To get the 533mhz system bus and updated cpu, faster RAM etc you need the Sonoma Pentium M (Centrino)standard with a cpu ending in 0 (730 1.6mhz, 740 1.7 mhz, etc) instead of a 725 1.6, 735 1.7, etc.

Note that some of the cheaper Acers are decent values but ship with a 4 cell battery instead of the 8 cell on most Pentium M notebooks that get 3.5-5 hours of battery life or more. Thus, some of these Acers get 1/2 the battery life or 1.75-2.5 hours as the battery if 1/2 the capacity. This defeats the entire purpose of a Centrino system.

I would avoid Medion and stick with Acer if you must but again make sure you get at least an 8 cell battery (which is a extra cost option on many of the lower priced Acers).

Also, check out the new HP and Compaq models (DV4000 for HP which are updates on the HPZT3000/Compaq X1000 I have from the prior generation -- 15.4" widescreen, new instant on DVD/CD functions (previously only on 14" widescreen HPDV1000), 6.5 pounds, Pentium M Sonoma chipset and cpu, DVD multiformat burner, etc.

They had one of these at Fry's Electronics on their anniversery sale for $1199.00 which was a great price but that was for one day only. Also, check out a custom build at hpshopping.com and note that you can get a 6% student APP discount, applicable rebates, or a 12% EPP employer discount instead of the student discount if you know someone who works for a qualified firm.

Collapse -
Medion Akoya EX Rocks!
by IAMTHEGADGETGUY / May 31, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

Ok guys, I am a tech, I also sell every kind of laptop online. The one I have kept is the akoya EX.
You cant beat the price, you can not buy the parts inside and put it together yourself!
This in my opinion, atleast 30 days ago (and I say that since the new chipset machines have hit the market) was the best machine for the money. It has the same componets inside, chipset, processor, wifi,dvd/rw and hard drive as everyone else. Here is a bit of info, almost everybody uses the same parts, packaged a bit differantly, but never the less the same. If you put this machine up against any other, It will perform exactly the same. Bench mark tests prove that. Funny thing about benchmarking machines, The actual performance starts with the keyboard, and the result that shows on screen. This is Fast! Display Beautiful!
Burns DVD faster than my 3.2ht p4 desktop!
Don't get me wrong, I love thinkpads, as do anybody with the budget, but the closest machine to this was a sony, and it only had a combo drive, a slower processor, smaller hard drive, the sony name, and the sony price tag at 1675!

Warning, Buying from BEST BUY can be miserable.
1. make sure you WANT IT, beacuse when you pay, it is yours, unless you want to loose 15% to give it back!
oh within there 14 day limit!
2. There "extended warranty" is a Joke, as are all extended warrantys, (as I recall, the editors did a story on this)They will pust it too!

All I can say is buy one! it is great! I travel alot, and if you loose it, with the money you save over a sony, you can buy another!

All that said, I am a techie and can't wait to get my hands on a new 533fsb machine just to see how noticable it is....Oh and I LOVE MAC, but still need a pc to do everything, but will soon become a total convert to MAC, and kiss bill gates good bye!

Collapse -
wireless issues with Akoya LS
by sako--2008 / June 24, 2005 4:54 AM PDT

hey all. so i just bought an Akoya LS from Best Buy. the unit is great, i really like the screen. however, my one qualm is that the wireless card seems to be weak or there seems to be some other issue with it. ive tested the unit out in some cafe's with free wireless around where i live and it works wonderfully, but back at home, it doesnt pick up any wireless signal even when its sitting right next to my girlfriend's brand new dell inspiron 6000 that has a good-excellent connection. whats the deal?
also, my unit was a floor model at best buy and im not sure i got all the documents that go with it. is there a support number i can call? thanks.

Collapse -
support
by IAMTHEGADGETGUY / July 3, 2005 10:28 PM PDT

I have not had any issues with the wireless. I pick up everybodys router on the block!
go to www.medionusa.com they have there phone numbers listed. There is also a bios update, but cant say if that will help your issue.

Collapse -
Communication Bypass
by Petrie08 / October 6, 2015 8:57 AM PDT

I had my Medion laptop delivered one week ago. Sales enquiries were answered very slowly - since buying my laptop there have been no replies to emails at all. No one has ever answered the phone, and a letter of complaint has not been answered. So, if you like a bit of backup, I would not recommend Medion

Collapse -
Medion recently
by orlbuckeye / October 6, 2015 9:23 AM PDT

merged with Lenovo but and are made in Germany. What i've read is they used to sell at Best Buy but now sell at Aldo grocery stores in the USA.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.