Computer Help forum

General discussion

Medieval Total War crash

by persone42 / November 26, 2004 5:08 AM PST

Hi Peoples. Hey I'm having a problem getting Medieval Total War: Battle Collection to run on campaign mode. My system specs: Windows XP Home Edition SP2. SB Audigy Gamer. Ge Force MMX 440 (Nvidia). 512 RAM. P4 1.6 mhz processor. DirX 9.0c. System built 03/15/02. All drivers updated regularly when available. Norton AV updated and run 2x week. Norton System works run once a week. The problem? Game exits with out warning and reverts back to Desktop screen while trying to play campaign. I've lowered the pagefile, diabled the PCI on SB, disabled everything on start up. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Medieval Total War crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Medieval Total War crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given the date/year it was built...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 5:14 AM PST

Open the case and see if any motherboard capacitors are domed or leaking.

Also, you may need to supply a complete inventory and power supply rating.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Medieval Total War crash
by sim_leeuk / November 29, 2004 6:48 PM PST

Hi.

I have absolutely the same problem. I think it might be a compatibilty issue with Windows XP service pack 2 but I don't want to uninstall SP2 to test this.

I am going to patch the game to the latest version and try that. Will post back if I have any success.

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / November 29, 2004 7:03 PM PST

Persone42,

- Run DXDIAG (direct X diagnostics) to see if that reports some problem.
- Set the hardware accelleration of your video card to lowest (and gradually higher until problem reappears).
- Read the readme.txt or whatever file like it is on the cd.
- Look at the makers site for faq's or solutions. You might not be the only one with this problem.
- Is the MX440 supported by the game? Study the System Requirements.

Small chance that any of this helps, but better than nothing and totally harmless.

Kees

Collapse -
by Willy / November 29, 2004 7:30 PM PST

Sadly, if you've tweaked to push for the best output for the game it maybe too much. In other words reduce the demands for the game in some areas like video and/or sound. Find the latest game updates and drivers and then proceed at a lower level to play the game. Understand, gaming really pushes a system to the limits and having the best componets installed helps keep things stable. Another area to look into is the power supply, 400W+ is very desirable and 500W is becoming common. Of course a high quality p/s unit is better than a cheapie. On top of all this a well cooled system is a must. Also check all fans, I've found some video cards very quiet and that's because thier fan was stuck/not running, replace. Open case and run household fan there to see if things settle down for a cooling problem. Increase system ram as well for XP anything above 512mb is a plus. But you know none of this may help until the games' maker come out with a cure as its thier fault due to some incompatiblity or quirk on thier part.

good luck Grin -----Willy

Collapse -
The Answer
by Nick172000 / January 3, 2005 9:22 PM PST

Disable Norton's AV That Your Problem. And Get Rid Of It Because It's No Good. U Don't Have To Believe Me About Norton's Av But It's Up To U. P.S I Had The Same Problem And That Fixed It.

Collapse -
Same
by arroya / January 4, 2005 11:12 PM PST

I have the same exact problemi dont know dude but if i dont get help by tmorroqw im takig n it back i can spend 20 bucks on something else 10mins into campaign sometimes if im lucky its 20mins in it just shoots right back to desktop with no warining no reference error nothing just right back to desktop btw i have the same system specs just my g card is a nvidia 5700le overclocked and my sound crd is old but i have no sound problems so is anyone gonna help us?

Collapse -
Arroya, Suggestions Were Given..Did You Try Them?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 5, 2005 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Same

Tried reverting back to SP1 on XP?

Tried reducing "Hardware Acceleration"?

Checked with the manufacturer to see if XP SP2 is supported? Are there any patches available by the manufacturer?

Tried shutting down unnecessary start up Processes and services:

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
PC Gaming....
by John Robie / January 5, 2005 4:27 PM PST
In reply to: Same

In addition to what Grif suggest:

Learned from expert high end gamers some years ago on my Win98 and it works for my WinXP, to get the maximum while gaming each time you play a game, before you put the CD in:

Restart your computer. (If you haven't done a defrag in some weeks, do a new one to get stuff line up.)

Disable Firewalls like Zone Alarm or others.

Disable any anti-virus program like Nortons, AVG, McAfee.

Disable Callwave if you have.

Temp disable Screensavers.

Disable all other startup running programs except Explorer and System Tray. I use the Enditall #1 which was designed for Win98 and disables much but not all of those programs in WinXP.

Sometimes after several hours, stop the game, remove the CD, restart (reboot) and go through all the above procedures, will notice a better performance....computers need a rest, even like when you get tippsy and blurrie eyed.;-)

Don't forget to reboot after finished gaming to enable most of what you temp disabled.

Collapse -
The other answer
by HailEris / January 21, 2005 3:26 AM PST

Disabling Norton didn't do it for me, but *downgrading* to old NVidia drivers did.

GE Force 2 MX 400 + Nvidia 53.03 drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Be warned, installing them reset my desktop size to something small and messed up all my icons. But hey, the game runs!

Collapse -
I think it's the driver
by jags / January 23, 2005 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: The other answer

I think I have to agree about drivers. I have changed from MX420 graphic card (MTW works fine) to FX5700LE with latest drivers... and guess what? MTW now crashes back to desktop when you try to access campaigns. Frustrating though, because sometimes it does work, but saved campaigs don't. Not sure about NAV, as I have been running this all the time.
My son now wants to buy Rome Total War - hope it,s different!!

Collapse -
your pretty much correct
by dsdragon / December 26, 2005 9:13 AM PST

I have the same problem on a g-force 256mb 5500fx it crashes back to desktop 90% of the time one of my friends however has the same game and has gone back to a later graphics driver and it has solved his crashing issue but i'm play alot of other mmorpgs so if i was to revert it would only mess up my other games that work properly so it's not worth it to me you would think they would have tried to patch this kind of issue but i guess money matters more than customer service now adays.

Collapse -
Your Crashes
by lnorsted / October 13, 2006 2:15 AM PDT

Have you solved your crash problem?

Collapse -
1 year 11 months have passed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2006 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Your Crashes

Try to catch those posting dates. It is rare to find a member check back on a 2 year old post.

Bob

Collapse -
Try setting back the compatabilty
by Micabe2006 / November 12, 2006 7:07 AM PST

I have this game to and I would get the same problem. I shut down NIS 2005 turned off hardware aceration and that did not solve the problem. Finally I right clicked on the program in the total war folder and set the compatibility to windows 2000 and now the game works just fine.

Collapse -
Gameplay freez
by ooka51 / November 16, 2007 9:25 AM PST

Ok, so i downloaded the game and it came up, the intro videos worked excelently...but during the actual gameplay, everything keeps freezing and unfreezing. I have a dell pentium 4 with windows xp, with 34 GB, i don't know my exact graphix card but i know it's Geforce4 compatible. Any suggestions

Collapse -
This Fix Worked For Me: Vertical Sync "Force off"
by keruishi / November 25, 2007 1:15 AM PST

I'm running Vista Premium with an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M. Every time I tried to create a new campaign in Medieval Total War, the program crashed and generated an error with Event ID 1000.

I found a fix online that worked for me: In the NVIDIA settings, simply set Vertical sync to "Force off."

The post that helped me:

http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/general/mtwvi-crash-fix.jspx

Collapse -
Problems playing Medieval: Total War for a Windows XP
by larry1617 / August 28, 2008 11:04 AM PDT

I'm having a problem playing medieval: total war for my 2006 Windows XP. every time about 15 to 45 minutes in it dies and goes back to desktop. What the hell is going on?

Collapse -
Medievil Total War - Battle Collection Crashes
by Michael Maupin / December 6, 2008 9:17 PM PST

Not normally a gamer, I ran across a copy of MTW Battle Collection and decided to try it - confirming that I met at least the min requirements.

On first try,though, I'd get an "Invalid Command Line Parameter '-'" and "Resolution Values 0 - 7" alerts. Only the basic tutorials would work. After "forcing" the Vert Sync, ALL tutorials worked as well as Historical campaines - but I still got the Command Line alerts and crashes when I tried to start my own campaine.

I reduced the acceleration and downloaded the folowing Patch:

fileplanet.com/116956/110000/fileinfo/Medieval:-Total-War-v1.1-Patch

So far it's working.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!