General discussion

Medicinal Whisky?

Any volunteers for the followup study?
Whisky May Cut Cancer Risk
Whisky can reduce cancer risk, Dr. Jim Swan reported to the EuroMedLab conference in Glasgow, Scotland. That?s because whiskey contains high levels of a powerful antioxidant that kills cancer cells.

Note some caveats: I've read that the presenter was sponsored by a whisky industry trade group. Also note that the conference in question was in Scotland. He wasn't talking to a skeptical audience.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Medicinal Whisky?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Medicinal Whisky?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) you mean "snake oil" works?!
- Collapse -
Yeah....

It cures sober-phobia straight away Wink

- Collapse -
(NT) Just following Doctors Orders.
- Collapse -
any evidence

that whicky drinkers have less cancer?

- Collapse -
No evidence of less cancer overall

I haven't looked it up recently, but I don't recall any good news. There is a bit of indirect evidence that regular consumers of SMALL amounts of alcohol may have fewer heart problems, but more is not better.
Heavy drinkers (whisky or not) probably have higher than average rates of esophageal and liver cancer but again, I haven't looked up the details lately.

I see they haven't fixed the problem with asterisks in pasted text.

- Collapse -
Since I don't

drink now and never much cared for whisky, I won't start Happy
Better report it in FB so they can fix that problemSad

- Collapse -
Oops ... That's apostrophes in pasted text ...

My bad. They already know about it but I don't know that it is a high priority fix.

- Collapse -
Also quotation marks.

Already posted on Feedback.

- Collapse -
Recent Time magazine article a bit of a surprise

While it's been stated for a while that one drink a day was good for you, a recent study surprised me a bit.

It seems (on average) that moderate drinkers live the longest, but surprisingly heavy drinkers outlive teetotalers.

"But even after controlling for nearly all imaginable variables ? socioeconomic status, level of physical activity, number of close friends, quality of social support and so on ? the researchers (a six-member team led by psychologist Charles Holahan of the University of Texas at Austin) found that over a 20-year period, mortality rates were highest for those who were not current drinkers, regardless of whether they used to be alcoholics, second highest for heavy drinkers and lowest for moderate drinkers."

It seems they credit alcohol with increasing social interaction, and possibly lessening depression.

"One important reason is that alcohol lubricates so many social interactions, and social interactions are vital for maintaining mental and physical health. As I pointed out last year, nondrinkers show greater signs of depression than those who allow themselves to join the party."

I have to wonder what would the results be if one of the variables controlled was excluding all singles who did not belong to a social organization. Religious services would count as social events in this context. As would any activity that involved frequent attendance to events with large numbers present. That would include such things as regularly attending a favorite team's games, community theater, supporting sports for little kids, working as a volunteer anywhere from a soup kitchen to the local library or school.

I like a drink myself. And recently indulged in a few liquors I haven't tasted in years because of cost. But I normally stop at two or three when I do drink now, and often there are several days when I don't at all. But given all the bad that excessive drinking can do, it's surprising to me that even with overall averages heavy drinkers outlive current teetotalers.

- Collapse -
There is another variable that is often omitted ....

It would be hard to define this for a research study, but the analysis of non-drinkers should exclude (or analyze separately) those who do not drink because of health problems. That would include not just recovering alcoholics but also some people with liver disease or other problems for which abstinence is recommended.

- Collapse -
Good point

The first thing that comes to my mind is diabetics.

Also anyone on high dosages of pain relievers for any reason, since they all seem to affect the liver significantly.

I believe most migraine sufferers would avoid alcohol, since alcohol seems to exacerbate the frequency and severity of their headaches. At least it does in one individual I know personally.

- Collapse -
"He wasn't talking to a skeptical audience."

Uh-oh. TOS on the Scots. Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info