Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

MediaMax and Streamload Fraud?

by jtrevkev / September 15, 2006 10:35 AM PDT

MediaMax and Streamload Fraud?

I recently purchased an account with Streamload/MediaMax (MediaMax was ''taking over'' the Streamload service at the time). The account I signed up for offered 100 gigs of storage space for $4.95 per month. For nearly a month I have not been able to use the service at all because MediaMax so seriously screwed up the transition that the service DID NOT WORK at all. Now I am finally able to access my account and two more problems have arisen that I think may constitute fraud:

1. They advertised there was no maximum size of file that could be uploaded except that which exceeded your overall storage space (so, I should have been able to upload a file of 100 gigs - not that I have such a file - but, theoretically, this was possible). Yet when I go to upload a file of a few megs, I'm told that my file exceeds allowed upload size.

2. This one is egregious! I bought a service promising 100 gigs of storage but when I was FINALLY able to get on to my service today after being with out the service for neaarly a month, I find they're only giving me 45 gigs for my $4.95 per month.

I know that this is still the best deal in town where online storage is concerned but, if it doesn't work, it isn't a deal at all. And, it's just not acceptable to offer 100 gigs of storage when a person signs up and then simply cut that storage by more than half without so much as an e-mail notice.

I want to know if others have a problem with this. I'm thinking thousands of others are also angry about this and we may very well have a class action suit on our hands.

I can be contacted at lstevens at furthercomm dot com.

Laurie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MediaMax and Streamload Fraud?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MediaMax and Streamload Fraud?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a link
by PudgyOne / September 15, 2006 6:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
Pricing... fraud and MediaMax/Streamload service
by jtrevkev / September 16, 2006 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a link

The price on their site at the time I signed up was $4.95 per month for 100 gigs. It WAS the best deal around. I researched their price versus everyone else's and copied information from various sites. Your link is somewhat farremoved from the actual Streamload site from which i joined. they don't seem to be very detailed about pricing. But I appreciate the effort.

L.A. Stevens

Collapse -
Updating your misunderstanding
by mikecorrales / October 31, 2006 9:18 AM PST

Hi, Laurie. I'm sorry if any of the service limitations are confusing to you. I actually work for Streamload and I just wanted to straighten up a couple things that are incorrect about what you said about the MediaMax service:

(1) MediaMax does not have file size limits. There are limits to the size of files you can upload through the web browser (currently 1 GB per file), but those are HTTP browser upload limits that are not set by us. You have the option of using FTP (just FTP upload to ftp.mediamax.com using your username) or use our free software application, MediaMax XL, to upload files of larger size.

(2) Your account storage limits are not 45 GB. It is indeed 100 GB. What you saw in your account info screen was the amount of downloads you had remaining for the month. In fact, your $4.95 account gives you 25 GB of downloads per month and we had actually bonused you the other 20 GB because of the issues you were experiencing.

We're sorry if there was confusion, but if you have any more questions, feel free to email us at support@streamload.com.

Collapse -
Streamload Employee?
by footballagent / July 20, 2007 7:43 PM PDT

Do you still work for Streamload? Well maybe you could enlighten all of the mediaax users who are frustrated by the uploading not functioning. It appears so many people have paid money to get zilch! please enlighten us. What is the deal with mediamax?

Collapse -
rip offed by MediaMax and Streamload
by rajusa / November 15, 2006 11:06 AM PST

I have been e-mailing mediamax billing department for over a week since I found that they overbilling my credit card by $40.00 a pop and they are not responding.

Anybody else having problems?

Thanks,

Dr. Robert Jeffries

Collapse -
same problem!
by starokan / November 22, 2006 2:14 AM PST

Hi!I have the same problem! All my email are refused and come back to sender...

Collapse -
FRAUD ALERT!!!!! MediaMax (Streamload) a total RIP-OFF!!!
by MCairo / November 22, 2006 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: same problem!

Once you activate an account with either Streamload or MediaMax, it will be extremely difficult to stop them from charging you unauthorized fees. I have been emailing and calling Streamload several times over the last month or so with no response whatsoever.

Recently, I submitted a dispute with PayPal to try and stop this company from their illegal withdrawals from my account.

This company is a total scam and should be investigated immediately! I am going to be in contact with the San Diego better business bureau and the Federal Trade Comission. If anyone knows the proper authorities to contact about this, please inform me.

Thanks,
MC

Collapse -
FRAUD ALERT
by starokan / November 26, 2006 3:55 AM PST

I don't exactly know which is the proper authority for reporting frauds on the Internet. Does anybody have any suggestions or news concerning MediaMax?

Thanks,
AM

Collapse -
MEDIAMAX ..REPORT THEM FOR FRAUD HERE
by kcq71 / November 26, 2006 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: FRAUD ALERT
Collapse -
Mediamax is a complete mess
by kcq71 / November 26, 2006 9:49 PM PST

I have not been able to send files for about a week.This service is a upgrade? The old service was fine.This new service is a mess.It has never worked from day 1 even though they had over a year to make the transition.We were told to be patient...they shut their blog down due to so many people complaining.They DO NOT reply to e-mails.All you get is a automated reply.Folks are sick of it and just waiting for another service to come along that is similar. If any other software company put out a product like this they would be run out of business.I mean this has been going on since September and we are still seeing the same technical problems from these morons.Here is their contact info if you contact the BBB in San Diego

Fax
619 233 9914

phone number

619 233 9914

ADDRESS

525 B STREET ,SUITE 1000

San Diego ,Ca 92101

Collapse -
Please contact us here
by mikecorrales / November 27, 2006 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: FRAUD ALERT

Starokan & MCairo. We would love to get any billing issues you're having resolved. Starokan, I'm not sure where you were emailing your support issues, but please see my post above. If you send an email to billing@streamload.com with your account name and a brief description about any discrepancies, we'll get it fixed for you right away.

Collapse -
Im still waiting for a reply from Mediamax
by kcq71 / November 27, 2006 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: Please contact us here

I e-mailed them a week ago.Nothing.The service has not worked from day one.Since Mediamax has purchased Streamload it has been a complete mess.Yet they continue to bill, bill, bill folks for a service that is not working.I mean we are still dealing with a beta app.They dont care.The only way they are gonna care is if they get some other companies that offer a similar service.I cant wait,They are the WORST online storage site EVER.

Collapse -
No answers at all from MediaMax / Streamload
by starokan / November 29, 2006 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Please contact us here

I e-mailed ALL Mediamax / Streamload addresses provided on website and in this forum: NOTHING. I also tried to downgrade my account from paid to free, but it simply doesn't work!

Collapse -
Please send us an email here
by mikecorrales / November 27, 2006 4:32 AM PST

Dr. Jeffries, since we can't see your email address here and we don't know your account name, can you send an email to billing@streamload.com? We can get this corrected for you, but we need to know your account name. Thank you and sorry if there was any confusion about billing!

Collapse -
MEMDIAMAX MEMBERS STORY...THEY ARE A FRAUD
by kcq71 / November 27, 2006 6:10 AM PST

Here is one Mediamax members story...they are a fraud

The story of how I got screwed by Mediamax/Streamload...

I was getting to the point where I was so unhappy about the level of service that I was receiving from them that I had sent many emails to them asking for compensation. I was polite and very forgiving in the beginning, but then they just ignored all of my request. I had heard of other people getting a free month of service due to inactivity, but not me.

So then I started to directly question their business ethic. I had explained that by having me read and agree to their terms of service and pay them for a monthly service...we in fact had a contract between us. Now, as per my understanding of law(which isn't much I must admit.) they had yet to provide the service I paid for. Therefore they had broken our agreement and I should be given a full refund starting from the beginning of when problems had occurred. As many of you know..that would most definitely be a lot of money coming back to me...but all is fair in my mind. If I had been a business owner or something to that effect, the problems they have ignored could have cost me a lot of money. Now before anybody thinks that maybe I am being to harsh on them, please think about all of the broken promises that they said they were going to fix in the system, and how this new service would be so much better than before. They have blatantly ignored commerce law and I was still paying them....

So eventually I decided to cancel my subscription.

At that time I was offered a free months service.........I declined because a free months service of crap is not worth it. But, even after having told them to cancel my subscription they put a payment through(because they had not read my cancellation email in time before my renewal), so I told them that they should refund me my money and that failure to do so could result in a lawsuit(I thought that might wake them up)...but all they said was......Okay we have now cancelled your subscription(leaving me with no downloads for which I had paid for the month) and we have sent your request to our financial department to determine if we can give you a refund.....I have yet to hear back from them and it's been a couple of months.

I truly believe that they have broken the law, and a class action lawsuit could be possible. However because we are all dealing in a very grey area of uploading and downloading it would be very difficult to present a good case...too bad though.

Anyway...that is how I was screwed over by them.

We should all really consider sending them mass amounts of mail proclaiming our unhappiness.

Collapse -
CONTACT MEDIAMAX HERE
by kcq71 / November 27, 2006 6:13 AM PST

Fax
619 233 9914

phone number

619 233 9914

ADDRESS

525 B STREET ,SUITE 1000

San Diego ,Ca 92101

Collapse -
Hey mikecorrales WHY WONT STREAMLOAD ANSWER E-MAILS??
by kcq71 / November 28, 2006 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: CONTACT MEDIAMAX HERE

I know serveral members who have e-mailed tech support fordays and have yet to get 1 reply.I have emailed the support@streamload , billing@streamload.

This is all we get.... Hello!

Thank you for contacting the Streamload Customer Support Team! There is no need
to reply to this message. Your email will be answered as quickly and efficiently
as possible by one of our trained support staff.

Your e-mail has generated Ticket ID# BEP-54860-840. Please use the ticket number
when referring to this issue in the future.

PLEASE NOTE: If you submit multiple requests, we may not answer each request
individually, since duplicate issues are merged for efficient handling. However,
we do investigate each request.

Thank you for contacting Streamload! We look forward to serving you.

Sincerely,
Streamload Customer Support

People you can e-mail them all you want.This is all you are gonna get from Streamload.The only feature of Streamload Mediamax that works is their ability to take your money on time every month.Also you can expect to be able to send a to only 1 member at a time.If you got a group of friends and family you wanna send items to such as photos or videos...1 at time

Streamload cant return back to the old service because they are owned by Mediamax.The service is a joke.Im sure that some other company will arise and cash in on the mediamax mistakes .YOU HAVE LOST A LOST OF CUSTOMERS MEDIAMAX

Collapse -
Bad service, bad support .. bad everything
by cnetrch / March 1, 2007 12:27 PM PST

I was their customer for almost 2 years with 2 premium accounts (streamload), when they made the change to mediamax I downgraded the accounts to the 9.95 dlls a month. Well, thinking that the service was getting better, on FEB 15th I upgraded one account to the professional pack (29.95), my paypal account was charged the same day (FEB 15th) and as today I'm still with 25GB/month download limit (elite account).

What kind of company is this ? .. I've send 6 e-mails explaining the problem to support and billing dept and I haven't had a single response.

Today I cancel payments to this company and I put a chargeback, streamload is dead and base on this experience I think mediamax should be out of business.

Mediamax closed their blog (http://blog.streamload.com) so no one have a way to complain.

mikecorrales where are you?

Collapse -
Bad service, bad support .. bad everything
by eawells2 / March 3, 2007 3:33 AM PST

As I mentioned in my post #27, you can e-mail the officers and directors. I found the president's and technology director's e-mails by performing a whois on streamload.com.

Patrick Harr - President and CEO: patrick@streamload.com
Steve Iverson - Technology: steve@streamload.com
John Hood - Manager of Support: johnh@streamload.com
Marty Wexler - VP Engineering: marty@streamload.com

I wrote Patrick Harr and Steve Iverson directly informing them of my complete disappointment and my report of their terrible service to the IC3.

I received a direct reply with apologies and commitment to resolve all of my issues from Patrick Harr - who btw, is the *new* president/ceo. Which should bring up the question - why is there a new president/ceo? I then received direct apologies and commitments for resolution from John Hood and Marty Wexler.

I have finally received full resolution with the direct support from Marty Wexler. Honestly - he's the guy who can make things happen. At least he did for me. That doesn't mean, however, I can let them off easy or forgive them, etc.

The company is definitely experiencing problems. Obviously their public relations is nothing but awful. Nevertheless, we their customers should never have to go through this crap.

Now you know who to contact directly - go for it!

Other recommendations:
Unless you're absolutely ready to drop-kick them off into oblivion, when dealing with these guys directly, even though you're angy, pissed-off, etc - keep your composure and decorum in your e-mails. An obvious effort to restrain yourself from lopping off their heads will definitely work to your advantage.

Collapse -
Time to take action against Mediamax?
by starokan / December 4, 2006 2:06 AM PST

They have been contacted by BBB but they haven't answered... yet!

Should we send a crime complaint with IC3? (http://www.ic3.gov/)
Does anybody have other ideas?

Meantime I've tried unsuccessfully to downgrade my account from paid to free! So I'll have to block my credit card payment otherwise they'll go on charging me!

Collapse -
BEWARE - They are closing active paid accounts
by sdrakos / February 10, 2007 7:44 PM PST

I have a cancelation on an active account at mediamax .......
One year subscription paid by paypal at 12 oct. 2006.
A few days ago they closed my account saying they haven`t got the money from paypal (after 4 months of a fully working account..!!!!!)
I have send them transaction ID to verify that i have paid for that account.They NEVER answered back....... I have send them 5 emails till now, i am still waiting for an answer.......
Btw my mediamax account info history says i have paid at 12 oct 2006, also that i must renew my account at 12 oct 2007 ....!!!!!!

Unfortunately, paypal has a limit of 45 calendar days from pay day for complains about a transaction, also i am a Greek citizen so i can`t do much legally, but i believe all of you that live in the states must complain to FCC.

Collapse -
Mediamax
by rsicomp / July 12, 2007 6:10 AM PDT

I have to agree with most of the criticism here. I have been a member for a year and during that period they have had constant outages. They have not responded, or responded weeks after submitting a support ticket. When they do respond, they simply ask you to be patient. Recently, I tested file downloads of the thousands of files I uploded, and could not download a single file. I only received the following error:
ERROR:
>
> Ouch! We Had a Small Hiccup.
>
>
> *MediaMax* encountered an error.
>
> Please excuse us for the inconvenience

How descriptive! Then after submitting a support ticket, all I received was an autoresponse. That was over three weeks ago and nothing since.

I recommend you DO NOT sign up for this scam. I have wasted countless hours uploading family pictures for an offsite backup, which did not exist apparently. In addition, I wasted $100. I will not renew this disgraceful service.

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Collapse -
MEDIA MAX FRAUD
by ashishrcb / October 25, 2007 2:40 AM PDT

We had a mediamax fraud since June 2007 and we found problems with it on a regular basis. We emailed them with complaints but all that they did was give us assuarances.

We asked them to cancel our membership ten days back but they have still gone ahead and charged our credit card.

They charged our account twice in August and three times in October 2007. We need a full reversal of the charges.

The account statement from the media max site is given here under.

1047243 6/19/2007 9:40:12 AM Premium Membership ($4.95) ($4.95)
956614 6/19/2007 3:00:49 PM VISA Payment $4.95 $0.00
1069612 7/19/2007 2:00:53 AM Premium Membership Renewal ($4.95) ($4.95)
970083 7/19/2007 3:05:56 AM VISA Payment $4.95 $0.00
1093762 8/19/2007 2:00:31 AM Premium Membership Renewal ($4.95) ($4.95)
1093763 8/19/2007 2:00:31 AM Premium Membership Renewal ($4.95) ($9.90)
983595 8/19/2007 9:08:46 AM VISA Payment $9.90 $0.00
1126785 9/19/2007 2:01:00 AM Premium Membership Renewal ($4.95) ($4.95)
997016 9/19/2007 9:13:17 AM VISA Payment $4.95 $0.00
1159717 10/23/2007 2:00:37 AM Premium Membership Renewal ($4.95) ($4.95)
1159718 10/23/2007 2:00:37 AM Premium Membership Renewal ($4.95) ($9.90)
1159719 10/23/2007 2:00:37 AM Premium Membership Renewal ($4.95) ($14.85)
1010214 10/23/2007 3:29:10 AM VISA Payment $14.85 $0.00

Please some one help.

WE ARE UNABLE TO GET ANY REPLY FROM MEDIA MAX.

Collapse -
Ripped Off *Me Too)
by rockq22 / April 17, 2008 3:44 AM PDT

Hi,

Similiar thing going on with me...They bill me $9.95 twice a month instead of once. I've written several emails but have yet to receive a response. I found out today that the only way to correct this is to block my credit card and have a new one issued. Also, FYI, my banker said that although this is an inconvenience, she said it was a much better situation than having money taken straight from you account. According to her, the only way to resolve that situation is to close the account and open a new one.

Collapse -
Reporting MediaMax FRAUD
by rebelclassified / December 8, 2006 9:39 PM PST

MediaMax tried this with me. They sent me an email saying that they were having difficulty accessing my credit card? I never subscribed to MediaMax/Streamload. I returned an email telling them the same with the legal term: "YOUR PRESENTMENT IS DISHONORED". If you are beingt charged by them, advise your bank of the fraud and close your account, re-open another. In the interim, you can file an online complaint with the INTERNET CRIME COMPLAINT CENTER.
http://www.ic3.gov/
It's faster than trying the BBB approach. The BBB will require that you prove that you have contacted the other party before they will react. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Mediamax petetion link here
by kcq71 / December 9, 2006 7:09 AM PST
Collapse -
MediaMax Problems
by halaurent / January 3, 2007 1:47 AM PST

I had NO problems with Streamload and had a $99 subscription. However, since MediaMax took over, I haven't been able to use the service. Most of my files are gone and I can't get any answers. I get their standard "form mail" and that's all - no files - no answers.

Your idea of a class action lawsuit sounds great to me.

Ashton Laurent

Collapse -
mediamax fraud!!
by starokan / January 3, 2007 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: MediaMax Problems

Ready to join a class action lawsuit!
This is the answer I received from BBB:

We have written to the subject in your behalf but in this
instance have received no reply. The Better Business Bureau
seeks voluntary cooperation from business and cannot compel firms
to answer communications or offer adjustments.

The Better Business Bureau is an independent agency of Business
and acts as an impartial third party mediating misunderstandings
between the buyer and seller. The majority of cases are brought
to a conclusion with a successful resolution. Failure on the
part of a company to respond becomes a part of our file
information and thus may assist persons who make future
inquiries.

It may be that this matter has, in the interim, been resolved. If so, kindly advise us so that our records may be complete. If not, please accept our sincere regrets that we have been unable to assist you.

Collapse -
Fed up as well..
by joojoobeezz / January 5, 2007 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: mediamax fraud!!

So, I'm in the same ballpark as you all...I joined MediaMax in December 06 and got charged for it. No problem, I used the service and though there was a problem initially, I gave them another chance. January has been ridiculous and it's only 5 days into the new year! I have had issues uploading and finding uploaded files. They say it will be 'there' when it's processed. It has taken HOURS for that to happen. Not good for my business so I'm fed up...I am in the process of blocking payment on my credit card so that they can't charge me another penny. I have signed the petition and I'm ready to just sue them to the poor house..Screw MediaMax, they SUCK...! BEWARE...

Collapse -
Petition?
by halaurent / January 7, 2007 9:08 PM PST
In reply to: Fed up as well..

What petition and how can I sign it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?