Samsung forum

Media streaming Tizen OS (samsung TV 2015 series)

by HansSung / May 19, 2015 3:55 PM PDT

I have been using Plex before, but the application is not available yet on Tizen (2015 TV series OS).

There is no Tizen app yet and Plex has no plans yet to make one.
There is only the ported version of 1.015 that Samsung made, but it doesn't run on all models yet.

Is there an alternative available that does work on Tizen to be able to stream media + subtitles to my Samsung TV?

I have been looking on several forums, discussion groups, the apps from Samsung under video section, but it seems that this does not exist yet. Which I find very strange in an era of streaming everything.

Now I have to put my media on an USB stick first, then plug it into my Samsung.. :-/

Any suggestions are welcome, my favorite sollution would be Plex, but that is sadly not possible today...

Best Regards,

Samsung UE65JU7000

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Media streaming Tizen OS (samsung TV 2015 series)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Media streaming Tizen OS (samsung TV 2015 series)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Alternative available for streaming?
by HansSung / May 19, 2015 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: tizen

Thanks for your answer.
The topic you mentionned is mine.

I am looking for an alternative for Plex, because the development could still take months...there is no clear deadline available.

When the Plex app is available, I'll propably switch back to Plex then.

Collapse -
by hpp8140 / May 20, 2015 12:11 AM PDT

Well you could just use the Plex Dlna or any other DLNA server. Of course, you won't get the extra metadata that plex offers.

Collapse -
tried that
by HansSung / May 20, 2015 5:45 PM PDT
In reply to: DLNA

I tried that, finding my plex server on my TV, it was visible in "Sources" -> "Plex Media Server".

Streaming without subtitles works, when I add subtitles to the video source, samsung gives an error mesasge that it can't open the file, and it goes back to the previous screen.

Is there a dlna server available where samsung can read also the subtitles to?

Collapse -
by hpp8140 / May 20, 2015 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: tried that

I've always found Plex too sluggish....I've been spoiled by minidlna's speed and the instant database updates.

I really like minidlna for Samsung. There are many tweaks that allow it to support almost all formats and subtitles, but your TV is new and I'm sure there are changes with the built in media player. My F8500 plays almost anything.

Serviio also works well enough if you're not into working with linux.

Collapse -
by HansSung / May 20, 2015 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: minidlna

Thanks for your reply,

ReadyMedia (minidlna) seems to be for readyNas and I am looking to setup a media server on my PC, on which my TV can then connect to through home network.

I will try install Serviio media server tonight and see if Tizen can connect properly to it, as DNLA should be industry standard and hopefully able to play the content, with subtitles.

Will let you know how goes after testing it

Collapse -
by hpp8140 / May 20, 2015 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Mezzmo is another good one for subtitles, but it's not free.

Collapse -
You've re-discovered an old issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2015 12:19 AM PDT

That is, you found that media plays on USB but not over the network.

It's a limitation and Samsung should have told you that this can happen. If I were to guess my bet is it's one or both of the following reasons but my run-ins in DVR engineering tell me it's the patent angle. There are patents on video playback and more patents on network streaming.

Beyond that some files are not streamable. This can really rankle folk that want files to just play.

-> If you want a better streamer, the PC is king. A WDTV Live is next in line to the throne.

At no time has any Smart TV maker made any suggestion they would deliver anything as good as the King or his successor.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?