TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Media Player with Denon Receiver

by paco050974 / August 5, 2014 3:42 PM PDT

Hi!

I have a Denon AVR1507 which I had been using with my TV till recently. I would use the DVD player to play my DVDs, and use the TV's USB port to play my digitized media files (music and movies).

Now, my TV has moved to a different room, and wish to use the Receiver purely for listening to music. I have plugged in my DVD player to play DVDs, but I need to play my digitized media as well.

My queries...

1. I have been searching for a host of media players, which can play various formats, and have come across various models from WD, Amkette, Asus, Enem, IOmega etc. But, I am not being able to decide upon which one; reasonable and versatile.

2. How do I navigate through the files as these media players do not have a screen, and as far as I know, my Receiver's display would not display the file structure of my media files. In the absence of a screen, I will be completely blind and would not be able to go to a specific music file. I have thought of plugging a mini LCD screen, but the smallest (apart from the obscure ones on alibaba.com etc) on most ecomm sites is 15.5".

Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Media Player with Denon Receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Media Player with Denon Receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you
by samkh / August 5, 2014 11:55 PM PDT

can live with just analog stereo, get a tablet and move your files to it or a microSD card if the tablet has such a slot. You could also try the WiFi way with devices like iPod and Airport Express but I never liked wireless for uninterrupted playback. Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Options
by Pepe7 / August 6, 2014 1:06 AM PDT

Re: #1

I am using the WDTV Live. Plays back almost everything. Interface isn't the most modern (a la Apple TV), but it's OK. Might make more sense though if you were intending on playing back both audio *and* video though.

Re: #2

Indeed, the lack of a video screen would be a huge drawback. OTOH, samkh's idea to add a tablet is spot-on. Only way to fly to make it both versatile & enjoyable. For example, you could utilize one of the VLC apps on a cheap Android 7" tablet to provide the streaming GUI.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vlcforandroid.vlcdirectprofree&hl=en

More expensive but more interesting/flexible IMO and E would be a higher quality iOS device, like an iPad, with AEX on your home wifi network. Having Airplay built into the rig allows you to stream any content of your choice. Plus, it could be all digital with mini-digital optical output from the AEX to your Denon receiver. Sounds great. FWIW, I don't however find the wifi method to encounter any significant issues with uninterrupted playback, at least not on my network (2.4GHz g/5GHz n specs).

I take the whole streaming thing even a couple steps further. First, I can pair up some Android & iOS devices with the WDTV Live that sends audio to a nearby Onkyo receiver via digital optical. Controlling Youtube is great this way too. Also, I have a spare HP netbook that run Windows 7 Starter, and have a neat software called Airfoil. This permits streaming of any content from Windows to the wifi network, piggybacking onto the AEX.

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!