For decades Windows Media Player (WMP) and Microsoft players all have an issue. Here it is -> If you happen to have a corrupt file in your collections then WMP and Windows Explorer and many other areas fail.
Microsoft has improved slightly on this issue but they have not accepted this as a bug. For now Microsoft expects you to track down the file, or even an issue with cache files, DRM and the like.
I would be guessing wildly if this article will help -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920928 TEXT FOLLOWS IN CASE THE ARTICLE VANISHES!
"Important This step deletes all media usage rights. You cannot play any protected files until new media usage rights are downloaded. However, Microsoft Recorded TV Shows (DVR-MS files) are deleted and cannot be replaced.
1. Verify that Windows is configured to show hidden files and to protect operating system files.
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Type folder in the Search Help box, and then press ENTER.
3. Double-click Folder Options.
4. Click the View tab.
5. Click Show hidden files and folders.
6. Scroll down two lines, and then click to select the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.
7. Click Yes in the warning dialog box, and then click OK to close the Folder Options window.
8. Close Control Panel.
2. Open the Digital Rights Management folder. By default, the DRM folder is in the following location:
NoteThe computer may be using a custom installation that has located the DRM folder elsewhere. If the DRM folder is not in the default location, determine the location for the DRM folder by opening the DataPath entry in the registry. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
* Windows Vista, x86-based versions
* Windows Vista, x64-based versions
3. In the right pane, double-click the DataPath entry. "
When I first bought my Computer, the Windows Media Player that was bundled with Vista worked fine. Now, when I try to play any song in my library, it just hangs. Well, in fact it just does not play. you can use the Media Player itself but the progress bar does not move and the music does not play.
When i open a .mpg video, however, it plays perfectly with the sound. What is wrong with my WMP. Help me out guys. I don't want to have to install Windows all over again.