Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Media Player on Vista Error

by Kichkandi / January 29, 2009 10:20 AM PST

When I first bought my Computer, the Windows Media Player that was bundled with Vista worked fine. Now, when I try to play any song in my library, it just hangs. Well, in fact it just does not play. you can use the Media Player itself but the progress bar does not move and the music does not play.
When i open a .mpg video, however, it plays perfectly with the sound. What is wrong with my WMP. Help me out guys. I don't want to have to install Windows all over again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Media Player on Vista Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Media Player on Vista Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 12:28 AM PST

For decades Windows Media Player (WMP) and Microsoft players all have an issue. Here it is -> If you happen to have a corrupt file in your collections then WMP and Windows Explorer and many other areas fail.

Microsoft has improved slightly on this issue but they have not accepted this as a bug. For now Microsoft expects you to track down the file, or even an issue with cache files, DRM and the like.

I would be guessing wildly if this article will help -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920928 TEXT FOLLOWS IN CASE THE ARTICLE VANISHES!
"Important This step deletes all media usage rights. You cannot play any protected files until new media usage rights are downloaded. However, Microsoft Recorded TV Shows (DVR-MS files) are deleted and cannot be replaced.

1. Verify that Windows is configured to show hidden files and to protect operating system files.
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Type folder in the Search Help box, and then press ENTER.
3. Double-click Folder Options.
4. Click the View tab.
5. Click Show hidden files and folders.
6. Scroll down two lines, and then click to select the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.
7. Click Yes in the warning dialog box, and then click OK to close the Folder Options window.
8. Close Control Panel.
2. Open the Digital Rights Management folder. By default, the DRM folder is in the following location:
C:\Programdata\Microsoft\DRM
NoteThe computer may be using a custom installation that has located the DRM folder elsewhere. If the DRM folder is not in the default location, determine the location for the DRM folder by opening the DataPath entry in the registry. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
* Windows Vista, x86-based versions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DRM
* Windows Vista, x64-based versions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\DRM
3. In the right pane, double-click the DataPath entry. "

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

This issue happens with Vista, Vista SP1 and the other 20 versions of Vista. Let's just write it happens with Windows?

Collapse -
don't think it's a WMP problem
by Kichkandi / January 30, 2009 6:37 PM PST
In reply to: PS.

I thought it was only related to WMP, because my other media player like jetAudio and Winamp still played music. But when i wanted to play songs with itunes. itunes performed in the same way. And Media Center also has stopped working. Media Center also does the same thing WMP does. I fear that windows might be missing some plugins.

I used the Codec Detective tool, but it shows that MP3 codecs are present in the system. I have no idea, what is going on. Help me out, plz guys.

Collapse -
The poisoned MP3 issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 3:08 AM PST

You didn't give me much to go on but just last week some Limewire/Torrent user had the above issue and the files didn't play with anything. They didn't tell me where the mp3 came from and they didn't play on other machines and a MP3 player.

Then they told the last clue (where....)
Bob

Collapse -
PS. VLC PLAYER test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 3:09 AM PST

VLC PLAYER does NOT rely on CODECs so we can test the files with VLC PLAYER.

Collapse -
tried VLC
by Kichkandi / February 2, 2009 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: PS. VLC PLAYER test.

like VLC, Winamp and jetAudio also do not rely on codecs. They have their own bundle. So all the applications that have their own bundle of codecs work properly.

I Have not downloaded any mp3s. All i do is rip from CDs, which i do with jetAudio once again. So all the files are unlikely to have any virus. I don't think it's a virus problem, but if it is. Please, tell me how to remove it and all. This this is really bugging me. Starting to think, Microsoft made a big mistake with Vista. XP was the best, too many problems with Vista.

Collapse -
Make the call.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2009 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: tried VLC

Sorry, but unless you did a bad thing like install CODEC PACKAGES it's likely that the OS is damaged. Call Microsoft and ask for free support.

If you didn't buy your OS from Microsoft but HP, call HP, dell, etc.

The details are NOT in your posts for me to pinpoint the cause and fix.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!