Question

Media Player for Win. that can advance 1 sec at a time

I am a mac person but I need to find a windows-based audio player (preferably a free one) that has the ability to advance by seconds. I am editing a video project in final cut pro and want my producer to do some of the logging of the video. Since he is on a PC, I am sending him audio-only versions of interviews (mp3's) and he is logging the transcription into an excel spreadsheet which I can then import into Final Cut Pro, adding his notes to the original video. The only problem is he is using windows media player, which only allows you to move the playhead forward and backward in 10 second increments. If all the in-points are 10 seconds off it doesn't do me much good so I need something that will allow him to move the playhead forward and back one second at a time. VLC's "frame by frame" feature is the closest thing I have found but it only works with video. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Media Player for Win. that can advance 1 sec at a time
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Media Player for Win. that can advance 1 sec at a time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
It must be frame by frame. I think you know why.

To explain why we can't jump to the next second involves not only I and P frames in the video stream but the ugly issue that there are usually 29.97 frames per second. At some point we'll be off one way or another 1/60 or more seconds.

But there is hope. VLC is open source at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html so your programming staff can rip it up to change the 10 to 1 seconds. It won't be exact due to the issues in paragraph one but might be close enough.

Can be done!
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks Bob.

Yeah--this particular project is actually 23.97fps but it doesn't need to be exact. I'm sure it can be done with VLC and that's why it was the first program I tested but programming VLC is beyond my 'programming staff's' abilities (mainly because I don't have a programming staff). Perhaps that hack already exists somewhere though.

- Collapse -
Then other software to try.

CNET Forums