General discussion

Media Player doesn't support video format

I have copied some videos from my Canon HD video camera (HF S100) to a harddrive and am trying to watch the videos on my new Samsung 7-series TV. However, the media player says the format is not supported. I get the same message if i try to watch videos from older Sharp camera (Video: 720x576 pixels, 25frames/s, 29131kbps, Audio: 1024kbps, PCM format).
I have also tried running the videos from Windows Media player using DLNA connection to a laptop. The Video can run on the laptop but not in the TV.

Why doesn't the Media player support such "standard" formats or do I need to change some settings?
Are there/will there be an update to handle more formats?
Can codeks be downloaded from somewhere?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Media Player doesn't support video format
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Media Player doesn't support video format
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Why.

That one is easy. Only so many formats are supported. It costs for each one you add and the consumers will not pay for more than a few. Fix for us? Encode video in an encoding that works or use some player that does work.

Yes, this is well discussed but I thought you would like to know why this is.
Bob

- Collapse -
Use a player that works...

You say "... use some player that does work." Does that mean that I can install another mediaplayer on the TV?

- Collapse -
You laptop might do.

Apparently, it has the right software (Windows Media player). All you've got to do:
- connect the laptop to the TV (the exact way depends on the available connections for video-out on the laptop and video-in on the TV)
- find out how to activate that video-out on the laptop
- find out how to activate that video-in on the TV.
Should be doable.

The alternative might be to replace your Samsung TV by a Sharp TV. Be sure to ask if it plays their own video format!

A third alternative: find some video conversion software that converts that Sharp format to a format recognized by your current TV. But you should know that video conversion is time-consuming and lowers the quality somewhat.

Kees

Kees

- Collapse -
Other players could be,

One of those media things like the Apple TV, Xbox 360 as media server, PS3 and laptops.

You can't install another media player on the TV for a simple reason. It's not a PC or anything like a PC. But you are seeing consumers that want to treat them like a PC.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info