Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MEDIA PLAYER CUTS IN AND OUT

This happens with no apparent pattern. It happens on Internet Radio and when listening to tutorials such as Ebay and others. With tutoials the video will stop as well but not in sequence wih the audio. I have had this problem for some time and listening to radio on the net is so annoying I don't bother anymore.
This has happened with my high speed connection and now the twice as fast as dialup one I am using now. Also have tried running media player with all other windows closed and thought that this had fixed it , but no joy. It has been suggested that I try other media players.If there is someone out there that knows of any, I would prefer a free version if possible. If anyone has had similar problems or have any ideas or remedies, please post back. Thanks Jeff

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MEDIA PLAYER CUTS IN AND OUT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MEDIA PLAYER CUTS IN AND OUT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a sure thing.

In reply to: MEDIA PLAYER CUTS IN AND OUT

The internet is not a sure thing. You can't assure that some number of kilobytes per second will move from A to B in so much time at any regularity. Software has evolved but what hasn't is education about what the internet is and isn't.

-> Research what and how the internet works as well as why ATM (not the bank machine but the protocol) could have solved your issue and why TCP/IP won. Hint: It was the money.

Bob

Collapse -
Gladly will do the research

In reply to: Not a sure thing.

can you give me a hint as to where I might find this type of info? maybe google, thats the only one that comes to mind, is that a good choice?
And I gather from yor answer that there is no cure for my problem, is this so?
and if you don't mind can you give me a brief decription of what ATM(protocol), TCP/IP are?

Collapse -
It's part history, part technical.

In reply to: Gladly will do the research

The historical aspects of the internet are out there for you to read. Try "History of the Internet" on google.com and pick one.

As to ATM, there was a battle for years what should be used for the transport protocol. While ATM has superior specs and capabilities what did it in was licensing, fees and the non-open status of the protocol. Since TCP/IP was free to use, it gained momemtum and got us to where we are today.

In a nutshell, TCP/IP is a non-guaranteed delivery system without bandwidth management. ATM could manage such since from its inception it was designed for applications such as voice applications which must get a slice of the delivery pie or it couldn't be used for ... your newer phone systems. ATM or some of its varients are the workhourses of many digital phone networks.

Hope this helps as a primer.

Bob

Collapse -
JUST FORGET ABOUT MEDIA PLAYER

In reply to: It's part history, part technical.

I get the clouded answer, just uninstall and forget about it.
I will do some research because it interests me.
Enough said.

Collapse -
Computer specs...

In reply to: MEDIA PLAYER CUTS IN AND OUT

The problem may not be with the player. You may have broadband with your ISP to your computer, but much slower speed from the server to your ISP because of congestion and saturation, and if your broadband is shared, you only get your share - share by applications using the bandwidth.

Collapse -
SPECS

In reply to: Computer specs...

sorry, my info is P4 2.8ghz 512ram,180gb HD, Windows XP Media Center Edition(2005)
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FOLLOWING MEANS:
"broadband with your ISP to your computer, but much slower speed from the server to your ISP because of congestion and saturation, and if your broadband is shared, you only get your share - share by applications using the bandwidth

I Think -*ISP means my address on the net
-*BROADBAND is my service being faster than dialup
-*SHARED, SHARED BY APPLICATION, OR USING THE BANDWIDTH I have absolutely no idea what it means.
I don't share my computer with anyone and there is only one here that is on line.
Is there any way to check for the items you stated? Do I have any options other than uninstalling the program or just not using it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!