Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

media player 10

by jaynes / February 10, 2007 6:57 AM PST

I just got a new computer with Media player 10 and have some questions about what to check.Do I check "Display media info from Internet" yes or no
Do I check "acquire licenses automatically for protected content" Yes or no
IN the history: "Save file and URL history in the player"
Thanks Joan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: media player 10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: media player 10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's Up To You...Some Information About Those Options
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: media player 10

1. "Display media info from Internet"- This option allows the computer to access the internet and display track names, artist, and all information about each CD placed in the player. You may or may not want that option.. I choose "NO" simply because I don't want the computer searching the internet each time I want to play a CD. Others may like having that information.

2. "Acquire licenses automatically for protected content" allows the computer to automatically connect and download licenses for any downloaded music files that require such licenses.. Once again, I don't want the computer connecting to the internet just to play a CD. If the license is truly needed to play such content, you can do it automatically. Since I don't download very much music from the internet, it's not important to me.. It may be to you.

3. "Save file and URL history in the player" causes a History list to be created in your player.. Since it's not important for me to have a History of the music I've player, plus it's no one else's business on which music I play, I don't enable this either.. You may feel differently.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Media player
by jaynes / February 10, 2007 10:11 AM PST

Thanks so much for the info. I feel the same way, I was concerned where the information is going. I've had media player before and I don't remember being asked these questions. Another thing I don't want a cd that I'm playing be stored in the media player, so hopefully that won't happen. I fairly new at the computer so I appreciate your help. I got an Ipod for Christmas and that too has me concerned. When I downloaded itunes on my old computer it took all my sounds and put it in itunes library. I have my grandchild saying "You've got mail" it was in my sounds folder and that went over to the itune library. So before I download itunes I have to be careful with the settings. Thats another problem for another day.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.