Linux forum

General discussion

media center pc help

by LoansbySteve / November 10, 2006 1:59 PM PST

i'm trying to build a media center pc but i dont want to use windows xp media center edition. do you guys know of any very user-friendly linux distributions that are built specifally for media center use? the ps3 is basically a media center and i heard it was running off linux. is there anything similar that i could use for a pc? (a slick and modern GUI, much like the ps3, would be cool). thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: media center pc help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: media center pc help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm in the same boat
by benanzo / November 11, 2006 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: media center pc help

As a media center that justs plays back your dvds or video files and music it is pretty easy to get set up. I would recommend using Freevo (which has pre-compiled packages for all the major distros.) It's pretty easy to configure, just a matter of editing a few lines of python code to get your directories set (there are extensive docs on the freevo site.) If you want a little more, I would recommend using MythTV which does everything. It's basically a Tivo on steroids plus a media center and then some. It, however, is notoriously hard to configure for novices. There is a distro called KnoppMyth that makes the install and configuration a breeze. It is designed to be used on a standalone box just serving media to your TV, which is I think what you want. Personally, I am getting ready to build a mini-itx machine with a wintv pvr 350 running ubuntu-server and mythtv purely for the (more extensive) functionality I can get instead of a single-purpose machine.

Collapse -
I am in the same boat also.
by ahtoi / November 12, 2006 4:33 PM PST
In reply to: I'm in the same boat

I just got through building my computer and was thinking of using it as a media center PC but have not gotten very far with the media part of it yet.

Collapse -
RE:Media Center
by bryguy5 / November 14, 2006 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: media center pc help

I have been running MythTV for quite a while now and it is great. Do a search for MythTV how to. Jarod Wilson has created an excelent guide for installing configuring and setting up MythTV for Fedora Core 1-5. As with all open source software there is a learning curve but MythTV is the way to go. Jarods guide even helps configure hardware check it out. You will not be disappointed.
-Bryan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.