Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Me vs Acer 5920g . Please help

İ have a 8 years old Acer5920g and having same problem with most of 5920g users . My gpu's is dead . Probably because its chronic solder problem . İ dont what is my motherboard right now . İ dont know if gpu is seperated or onboard . My first question is from here . Can i get if its seperated or onboard by its model name ?

Now second question . Lets assume it is onboard and i cannot change only gpu . Can i buy a new random mb and another random gpu something like ... lets say 8600m gt and can those two run fine my old laptop ?

Last question . İf i buy the same model can i change new ones part with old one ? İf i buy another model of 5920g can i change new ones part with old one ?

Those are my specs :
Acer 5920g - 602g16mi
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500
Memory:1*2GB &1*1GB RAM
Hard Drive: 250GB hard disk drive
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel PM965 Express chipset with NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Orkun nar has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Me vs Acer 5920g . Please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Me vs Acer 5920g . Please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Orkun nar

Collapse -
Random won't do.

In reply to: Me vs Acer 5920g . Please help

Motherboards are specific to laptops unlike desktops. Also, if you run Windows it fails spectacularly when you change the motherboard and it's not exactly the same model.

The 8600m is well known on the web. Example:
https://www.google.com/#q=are+all+8600m%27s+defective

You got 8 years which is great. Time to move on.

Collapse -

In reply to: Random won't do.

But what if i find a onboard motherboard of same model ? Still doesnt work . Man laptops are complicated

Collapse -
Well, there's model, series and

In reply to: ...

In short you can't swap between series and if you swap in the series you discover something that some never see. That is what happens to Windows when you change motherboards. Blammo. Well, reload time and hope the license works.

Laptops are not "complicated", just a few parts. Very specific parts made for that model. At least some parts like drives, RAM and such can be interchanged.

Collapse -
I would take it to an

In reply to: ...

authorized Acer service professional for best results. If you replace a damaged motherboard with the same it's still considered the same laptop. It's considered a different computer if you upgrade the mobo.

Collapse -
Do they still service old machines ?

In reply to: I would take it to an

İ thought Acer service wouldnt take care of it . But yeah even if they would it will take around 1-2 months hehe . But i will remember this an option . Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
Maybe get a new reliable laptop for the next 8 years..

Unless you have certain reasons to do so, I won't suggest this kind of mix-n-match for the laptops, which are more complicated and delicate than a desktop as I know. Even you get CPU, GPU, SSD, hard drive, etc. placed correctly, you may also consider about the compatibility of other features, such as audio/sound, software, cooling systems.

If I were you, I will go for a new laptop, and choose among the big brands with consistent quality and warranty and service. i don't know your purpose for the laptop, but generally the most robust brands right now could be MSI, ASUS, Alienware, Lenovo.

Assuming you just wanna simply get a new laptop, Amazon, Bestbuy, Newegg, etc. could be good places; or you may like to customize a little bit for your laptop, CUK, Xotic are good sources. And maybe you can go for a physical store to have a try on each brand.

Collapse -
Answer
Consider cost...

Since this is a 8yr. old laptop, unless you have access to free or cheap parts, its going to cost you more than its worth, IMHO. Honestly, if you get a working, "exact model# mtrbd." it will work provided you swap also the cpu as well. The reasoning as explained by Robert that windoze will complain or somehow hose the works. Unless, you're trained or willing to take the consequences, you should expect some issue to pop-up though a trained or willing person can get by. If you sent to a repair shop, that alone should stop you as costs are certain to be more than the laptop. You can try eBay or Craigslist for a reputable vendor or google online for parts. Of course, ll this advice depends on you checking the status of the current mtrbd. being replaced or repaired and finding that is the only problem being the gpu.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Gpu

İt appears my motherboard was fine and gpu and mb was seperated . İm thinking to buy a new ati hd4650 .

Found a hd4650 from an Acer aspire 6930g 1gb ATI 216-0729042 , Packard Bell LJ61 LJ71 , a new Nvidia 9600m gs 512 mb , used Nvidia geforce 9600m gs ddr2 512 mb and used nvidia geforce 9600m gt 1gb ddr2 . Other option is new 8600m GT but R.Proffitt says it is a problem card . İ cant find 8400m gs which was my broken gpu . İm really confused about gpus of this laptop atm . İ know it a long time that i used this laptop . But this is last time i will repaire it . You guys are absolutely right about a new laptop . But please help me one last time about gpu

Collapse -
Try it and hope.

In reply to: Gpu

No one knows what will happen but the 8400/8600m story was a grim one. All devices I see on ebay are used and suspect. Even new ones.

I'm unsure what help can be given. You need to find the board, try it and be ready to do a factory restore to get it working again.

Collapse -
İ couldnt get it . Sorry my english is bad

In reply to: Try it and hope.

"You need to find the board, try it and be ready to do a factory restore to get it working again." what do you mean by this ? İs there a chance of failing with a 8600m gt ?

Collapse -
I mean you have to go do the work.

In reply to: İ couldnt get it . Sorry my english is bad

Or if you don't want to try it yourself, pay the repair folk their due.

As the chance of failing with the 8600m gt, my view is it's nearly 100% doomed to failure given the time since this disaster started. Almost all the working parts are used by now but you could get lucky.

As with luck, you have to roll the dice.

Collapse -
No no i didnt mean that

In reply to: I mean you have to go do the work.

İ was meaning could i run my laptop with a new just new unused 8600m gt . İ mean like it is just compitable and i dont have to do anything else than insterting card right ? Other than that İ know most of them faulty but hey . İ used 8400m gs for 2 years . İ dont play games . Just watching 720 p videos .

Collapse -
If it's a card for that model, then it's OK.

In reply to: No no i didnt mean that

But the history of the GPU chip in question is haunting us. You might have to install drivers or factory restore but if the new hardware is good and for this model, it should work but you can't know till you try.

Be sure to watch videos about heatsink compound cleanup, use and such as you will be using that too.

As to rep, just click on "THIS WAS HELPFUL" when you feel it was.

Collapse -
By the wat

In reply to: I mean you have to go do the work.

You are a cool dude . Thanks so much for your helps . İs there anything i can do to +rep you or something like that ?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.