Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ME, Trash, Deleting/Removing Files, Errors...

by LadyFlashB / September 30, 2004 11:31 AM PDT

Hey All,

I am frustrated. I have a recurring problem, been going on for years. I can't delete files. Whether I drag 'em to the Trash or right-click and delete, I get the same message:

"Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>.
Explorer will now close.
If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer."

For years, man......

Only really bothering me now because as an avid NeverWinter Nights gamer who has downloaded A LOT of custom content, I literally have hundereds of .zip and .rar files sitting on my machine. (Not to mention a plethora of miscellaneous documents sitting here and there as well.) I'm about to add the CEP project to my machine which is BIG, 125M. I want to make room for it as my hard drive is cluttered. Made a back-up to a disk of everything, now I want to clear some space.

Running ME 4.90.3000 on a HP Pavilion 1.1G Intel Celeron Processor NVIDIA GeForce2 512RAM 30G HD

The pc's been doing this since I got it out of the box. I figured it was an ME problem <insert rant here> as I was well accustomed to 98se.

Are there any programs I can download to help me clear some room/manage my computer files?

I appreciate all help and ideas in fixing this.

LadyFlashB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ME, Trash, Deleting/Removing Files, Errors...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ME, Trash, Deleting/Removing Files, Errors...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ME, Trash, Deleting/Removing Files, Errors...
by TONI H / September 30, 2004 10:34 PM PDT

Have you tried deleting from an MSDOS window? If you have a folder that needs to be deleted in full because everything in it is garbage, you can use the DELTREE command at the C: prompt and use the entire path and name of the folder. One way to accomplish this simply would be to create a new folder on the C: drive named TRASH and drag every file to it that you want to delete and choose MOVE HERE from the menu when you use the right mouse button to do that.

Open your MSDOS Prompt window and at the C: or C:\Windows prompt that appears, type DELTREE C:\TRASH and press Enter. When asked if you are sure, press the Y key and the folder and all of the contents of it will be gone when you reopen Windows Explorer.

Create the folder again and drag more files to it and repeat as often as you need to. None of those files will get into the Recycle Bin and will immediately be deleted for good.

This isn't a fix for the problem you have, but it is a solution to accomplish what you need to do.

TONI

Collapse -
Deleting from an MDOS Window
by LadyFlashB / October 1, 2004 1:50 AM PDT

Toni,

Thank you so-o-o-o much! Worked beautifully and freed up quite a few Gb's of space. You are right on it not being a fix, but it's a great work-around.

Thanks again,
LadyFlashB

Collapse -
You're very welcome
by TONI H / October 1, 2004 2:37 AM PDT

I'm glad I could help.......

TONI

Collapse -
Re: ME, Trash, Deleting/Removing Files, Errors...
by Uncle John2 / September 30, 2004 11:11 PM PDT

Download and run http://cleanup.stevengould.org/ and it will take care of the problem. I use it, it's simple, free, and does a great job. I would also recommed that you defrag your hard drive after running cleanup.

Collapse -
Downloading Cleanup.StevenGould
by LadyFlashB / October 1, 2004 1:59 AM PDT

Falcon,

Thank you for your reply. I did look at the link you provided and am considering. However, one question... This looks to remove temp files and cookies. Does it remove ALL cache, history and cookie items or is it selective? I mean, I have histories and auto-logins on certain sites and groups that I would hate to lose, favorites of my own choosing. Would I still retain these?

Let me know...
LadyFlashB

Collapse -
Re: Downloading Cleanup.StevenGould
by Uncle John2 / October 1, 2004 2:53 AM PDT

Lady, when you download this utility, it has options for you to select what you want to clean up. Just click the open button and then the options button. It comes set to standard clean up which includes cookies, caches, etc. but you can choose the level of clean up you desire.

Collapse -
by LadyFlashB / October 1, 2004 9:12 AM PDT

Falcon,

Thanks for the explanation. I will keep it in mind for later. Right now, between deleting in MSDOS and utilising Disk Cleanup, I have freed up about 1/3rd my disk space. Quite an accomplishment, no?

Still can't directly delete items to my trash, but you wonderful folks have handed me some excellent work-around tools.

Hooray, CNet Forums!
LadyFlashB

Collapse -
by Uncle John2 / October 1, 2004 9:24 AM PDT

Lady, good to hear you have reclaimed some space on your computer. Just a thought; have you checked the property setting on your Recycle Bin? On the desktop, right click on the Recycle Bin, move down to Properties, and see if there is a check mark in the box that says 'Do not move files to the Recycle Bin, delete files immediately.' It there is a check mark in that box, remove it. You can also put a check mark in the box that asks if you want confirmation before deleting. Also, don't forget to defrag your hard drive after reclaiming the space. Good luck and hope you have been helped by the suggestions. Let us hear how you come out. Thanks, Falcon

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?