Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ME to XP - BIOS not fully ACPI compliant

I have an HP with ME, version 4.9.3000, BIOS version EPP version 9.00, 511 MB Physical mem., 2 GB virtual. Halfway through XP install screen freezes saying- BIOS not fully ACPI compliant. Go to hardware-update.com for updated BIOS or turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup - press F7 when prompted to install storage drivers. Hardware-update did me no good and the prompt to install storage drivers never came. HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ME to XP - BIOS not fully ACPI compliant
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ME to XP - BIOS not fully ACPI compliant
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The good news is...

In reply to: ME to XP - BIOS not fully ACPI compliant

This issue is now well known. If you can't get a XP compliant BIOS then you need to run the old OS until you replace the motherboard.

Microsoft has NO PLANS to "workaround" this issue. And owners that manage to do so are usually crashing on a daily basis.

In closing, if you had provided the model number of the machine, I would have looked, but since you didn't, I'll tell you to look for it at http://www.hp.com

Bob

Collapse -
the good new is...

In reply to: The good news is...

Well, this is not good news. In May, I suddenly needed to reinstall my ME OS. Since doing so things have been downhill ever since. My machine is a Dell Dimension 4100 and I have been doing the step by baby steps to convert to the XP Home Edition.
The important reason for needing to change is that my bookkeeping software will no longer accept my data files even with getting all the updates and going through the weeks of trying everything anyone could suggest. Finally the software co. said that ME will no support their later versions which I had purchased and TRIED to install. My data files are good from the backups I had done. I have checked with several other bookkeeping software companies and they say the same thing. Because the floppy drive will not work properly, I downloaded the BIOS that did not require an a drive. it says that my memory managers are aborting the process. Does any of this ring a bell?? I am curious to know how someone else with this problem is coping??
I hope it was ok to post here to get some moral support
and let you know you are definitely not the only one with this problem.
This is why my son-in-law went to a different venue for his computers and OS's

Collapse -
Without the error message or a story...

In reply to: the good new is...

All I can do is note I read your post and wish you the best of luck in repairing your machine.

Also, how did this story turn from a HP machine to a Dell? Or is this a new post you tagged onto someone else's post?

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.