Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Me Preview Movie Won't Play

by denniseckhaus / October 25, 2004 4:33 PM PDT

Hi again,

Strange error with the Millenium Preview program. I installed Me clean on a fresh partition, and updated with the Microsoft Security Update Cd and Windows Update. Had ZoneAlarm installed for the net and use McAfee and Spybot S&D.

I click on "Windows Millenium Edition Preview," and it opens the colorful screen with the picture of WMP7 in the middle. Then an Internet Explorer Script Error box opens stating:

Line: 168
Char: 2
Error: Could not complete the operation due to
error cood 1327
Code: 0
URL: file://C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\
INTRO\content2.hta

I tried out the intructions in the Microsoft articles 274486 and 265371. Essentially, I replaced the Wshom.ocx file with the original one on the Me cd. This file is smaller and older than the one on the system. That made things worse, as the program opened to a black screen unadorned by any cool colors or the WMP7 photo but came complete with the usual script error message. So, I used System Restore and got back the original file that at least showed the screen.

I managed to register by running regwiz /r, and all the Help and Support Center stuff seems to be working fine. It's just that program that won't run. So, no preview movie or the following intro sections are available.

I noticed the Shockwave picture trying to open before the error message popped up, so I made sure to update to the latest Flash and Shockwave. They work, but this program still doesn't. I also tried running "Regsvr32 \Windows\System\Macromed\Flash\Swflash.ocx" to see if the older version would run the program, but no go.

I also ran the IE repair tool. No change.

It's IE 6 SP1, WMP9, DirectX 9.0c on Me completely updated and running fine, except for this.

I miss the movie! (Even though it usually gets watched like once, before registering.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Me Preview Movie Won't Play
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Me Preview Movie Won't Play
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Me Preview Movie Won't Play
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 12:22 AM PDT

With a fresh install there will not be many "codecs" except what Microsoft installs. Your install looks incomplete to me since I read that you only used the Microsoft supplied items. Drivers for motherboard, video, audio, directx, and such may need updating as well as codecs that Microsoft will not supply.

I would run IEFIX (google.com) then read http://www.moviecodec.com

Since you have replaced some dll/ocx/other, the OS may be damaged so you get to reinstall.

Bob

Collapse -
by denniseckhaus / October 26, 2004 8:56 AM PDT

Oh no, Mr. Proffit (How ya doin' Senoir Guru). I do the complete deal when installing. 4-in-1's, USB Filter, DirectX 9.0c, ATI Catalyst's, IE6SP1 (from the Microsoft official cd version), WMP7.1, WMEncoder7, WMP9Series, Microsoft Java 3810, THEN the Security Update CD, Windows Update, then I run the Welcome movie to access the register Windows screen. First time ever it has this problem.

The ocx file replacement was a KB article suggestion for this problem. Since it made it worse I restored the system and got back what I had before doing that.

The Shockwave reregistration was a KB article suggestion that gets back the version that works with the Picture It Publishing opening movie and one of its tabs. That's put back to normal by simply reinstalling the latest Flash and Shockwave. (And, I do install Works Suite 2001 after registering Windows and then update it with Office2000 Service Pack 2 and running Office Update. So, it's nice to have that trick for whenever I want to use Picture It Publishing!) I also follow with Cyberlink PowerDVD 5 and Nero 6 Ultra Edition. Then I install Mozilla, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Sun Java, Quicktime and RealPlayer. Then I install the latest Divx.

So, there's nothing that I can see I've messed with as everything except for that movie works. And, with all that stuff I usually wind up with enough codecs to run anything without overdoing it (no "codec packs").

You've not encountered this problem with the Welcome program? Is there anything else I can do besides that Microsoft suggestion that didn't fix it? I mean, there are no other IE Script errors besides that program. Reinstall just for that thing?

Collapse -
by denniseckhaus / October 26, 2004 12:16 PM PDT

Oh yeah. I also don't forget my soundcard drivers and software! Because of that, and remembering that Creative's software install's sometimes mess with Direct X, I just tried reinstalling Dx 9.0c. It didn't help either.

Heh, I can't figure what's wrong with it!

Collapse -
The Windows Welcome Video.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 1:40 PM PDT

That's our best clue. I think that one is noted. I'm on travel so I don't have all my facilities, but I'll try... But first, your install certainly sounds complete now... Or your head hurts from getting hit with the hoops you jumped through.

I remember and can find supporting articles about RADEON cards and failure of the Windows ME Welcome Video. It had to do with ATI not supporting Video For Windows (VFW) but rather going with VDM... The Welcome Video is not playing in media player even if it looks like it does...

The script errrors in IE are very common with a new install. You get to turn then off twice. Read -> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7100/rh7165.htm

In closing, old REGISTRY CLEANERS can evoke such messages but noting I recall in your post noted use of such.

1. Turn off script errros (twice)
2. Get latest Video drivers (sorry, I'm on a slow link so I may miss out if you did that.)

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The Windows Welcome Video.
by denniseckhaus / October 27, 2004 5:43 AM PDT

I followed the instructions and toggled the two check marks a few times to no avail. So that doesn't fix it.

I have the latest Catalysts (4.7) for Windows Me(and use the 4.10's on the XP partition). I searched the ATI site for any reference to the problem and examined the assorted FAQ sections but didn't find anything. The only thing I noticed is a few references to Video For Windows regarding one of the ATI cards and the Multimedia Center playing though the TV. I don't do that. Plus, I've got a Radeon 9600XT now (my old 7500's fan stopped and the chip must have melted, since I got no more picture-so after using a Voodoo 5 5500 for a few days I couldn't stand it and bought the 9600XT).

The nearest reference to this is the specific KB article I tried (talked about in my first post). Maybe that fixed it for some, but it just made the problem worse for me.

Hopefully we'll think of something. If not, I'll either live with it or, knowing the perfectionist I sometimes am, will format the partition and try again. I hate that! Besides all the software setup, I've got my whole cd collection burned to mp3's on cdr's and copy the whole thing to "My Music." Darned collection takes nearly 3 hours to copy back to the hard drive. I also won't be happy to find that the stupid movie still won't play! (A possibility, though it never happened to me before.)

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2004 1:25 PM PDT

I'm in an airport so I must be fast.

For the IE issue, see if Firefox or Mozilla shows the script error...

The ATI is KNOWN for this issue. Many end up calling ATI support...

Be back later,
Sorry for the short reply but I will check in tomorrow (on a red-eye!)

Bob

Collapse -
by denniseckhaus / October 27, 2004 2:57 PM PDT

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that I should try to open the program "Windows Millenium Edition Preview" with my web browsers? Can they do that? I thought it was a unique program with its own scripts, or whatever it uses, to show the movie, then change to the menus for more intro information and the link to the registration program.

I haven't encountered any script errors outside of this welcome program.

I see that you're incredibly busy right now! I'm kind of amazed that you're still keeping track of the forums with all that's going on. Thanks!

By the way, I initially tried accessing the program before installing Mozilla and then making it the default browser. It didn't work either before or after Mozilla was installed.

Also, have you encountered anyone who got the problem fixed by ATI suggestions? If so, do you know what it is they did? If this is just an ATI driver issue I don't want to be formating and reinstalling only to find that the video card drivers just won't run the program!

Can you link me to any site that has discussed this? Especially if there is a solution, that would be great. I haven't found anything by searching ATI or Yahooing it.

Collapse -
The Windows Welcome Video.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2004 12:54 AM PDT

No. I have not seen this issue resolved every time. Sometimes ATI cures it with another driver version and again break it on the next. It's their issue and I can't fix that.

Sorry, but I read between the lines that a browser was involved.

And try the newer script engine as noted at http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=366c01c2ba5d%24eb7678d0%24d2f82ecf%40TK2MSFTNGXA09&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522welcome%2Bto%2Bwindows%2BMe%2522%2Bscript%2Berror%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26selm%3D366c01c2ba5d%2524eb7678d0%2524d2f82ecf%2540TK2MSFTNGXA09%26rnum%3D2

Bob

Collapse -
by denniseckhaus / October 28, 2004 4:47 AM PDT

Although I'm sure that scripting 5.6 is part of the Windows Updates, I downloaded and installed a fresh copy. It made no change to the problem.

I guess I'll assume this to be a problem with the ATI drivers. ATI claims they'll produce a new version quarterly for the 9x series. I'll file a Catalyst trouble report and hope they fix it in a future version. If not, I can still register by running regwiz /r so I think I'm just missing out on the movie and some preview tutorials (most of which I think can be accessed through Help and Support).

So far, this has no effect on anything else so I guess I'll just leave it.

Thanks for pointing out that it's ATI, and not my setup. You'd think ATI would keep the first thing a user might encounter in the OS working. I can't figure why script is only broken in one program and everything else (so far) works.

Collapse -
Here's the rub.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2004 5:16 AM PDT

That welcome video is an oddity. Nothing quite like it in 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003. Too bad Microsoft didn't employ a normal player for it. This is the reason I've been told ATI pushes it to "later..."

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?