Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ME Install problems

Whenever I try to install windows ME it starts the windows setup preparing thing and then i get 2 errors. One i cant remember exactly but it has to do with the Kernal and the second is like a General Protection Fault of something and it has to do with USER.exe

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ME Install problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ME Install problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ME Install problems

In reply to: ME Install problems

Are you trying to install ME over the top of itself or are you trying to install it to a new or formatted harddrive? More info needed, please.

TONI

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: ME Install problems

What happened is my comp crashed so i reformatted the HD and then tried to install it. It gives me those errors. I cant fdisk either. It gives me a runtime error.

Collapse -

You shouldn't have to FDISK unless you are planning on changing partitioning for the harddrive. Here are the proper steps for formatting your harddrive...I would suggest starting over again.

However, if you used FDISK and removed your partition without realizing it, you need to create a NEW Primary Dos Partition and make it Active (then reboot with your bootdisk in the drive) immediately afterward before you can Format the drive and reinstall ME.

If you don't know how to do that, let me know....in the meantime, you can also use your bootdisk, get to the A: prompt and type FDISK /STATUS to post here with the information that appears on the screen so we will also know whether the C: drive is intact for now.

TONI

Collapse -

Did the status thing. I got
run-tim error R6003
- integer divide by 0

Collapse -
AHA.....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=296168

What's happening is your bios virus protection is enabled. Boot up, enter your bios/setup by pressing whatever key the first screen tells you to in order to enter your bios. You will NOT be able to use your mouse here, so you will be using the arrow keys and the Enter key and the ESC key to move around.

Usually, you will press DEL or F1 or F2 to get into the BIOS or SETUP.

Once you locate the bios virus protection, it will say that it's ENABLED. Use the page up/down or plus/minus keys to change it to be DISABLED. Then ESC back to the main page, or SAVE and EXIT page...the computer will automatically reboot once you do this so have your boot floppy disk in the drive.

When you get to the A: prompt, type FDISK /STATUS and it should show C: and that 100% of the drive is being used (it could have an A in there somewhere which will show that it's Active. If you see that, you can change to the cdrom drive letter that loaded using the bootdisk, put in your cd and start the setup again.

TONI
Collapse -
Re: AHA.....

In reply to: AHA.....

That didnt help. I turned it off and got the same run-time error. I have 2 hard drives i have an 80 gig and a 4. When the 80 is set as the master drive it boots from the diskette and cds. If i set the 4 as the master then the computer starts but it wont boot from cd or diskette. Could this be more than just virus protection? Maybe a bad hard drive?

Collapse -
Master? Not on today's hardware.

In reply to: Re: AHA.....

80 conductor cables have you set the hard disks as CABLE SELECT and the master is set by where you plug in the drive.

While it may work with the drive set to Master and on the Master connection, I'm running into machines that don't work proper if the jumpers are incorrect.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Master? Not on today's hardware.

In reply to: Master? Not on today's hardware.

this is like some 10 year old computer that crashed on me and im tryin to fix it. By the way. all this happened when i changed the battery on the Mobo. and i know i cant do cable select i just choose not 2

Collapse -
Ahh, battery change.

In reply to: Re: Master? Not on today's hardware.

That's new information. Let share this as well. There were some Cyrix based PCs (and others) that the BIOS defaults didn't work on. I hated those since while I could usually fix them by setting the BIOS to what worked, they were timebombs for the owners if they forgot what needed to be set in the BIOS.

As to cable select, that issue may still be in play. Here's why. The new ATA66 and higher speed drives may garble data if you are not using 80 conductor cables. A 10 year old machine would not have the newer cables and this newer faster hard disk may mandate you update the cable and move to cable select.

Your choice!

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Ahh, battery change.

In reply to: Ahh, battery change.

Ok so the cable thing. But how do i get this stupid thing working. It just wont start-up, gets loaded with error at install, and the drives mess with me.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Ahh, battery change.

If you have hardware issues, then you resolve those. You wrote you chose not to go with new IDE cables (80 conductor) and I noted why it may fail.

You need to get your hardware fixed. Some run into self-imposed roadblocks. These can be hard to overcome.

Best of luck, but I don't see a Windows ME issue here, yet.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Ahh, battery change.

I had both the drives on cable select when all this happened. When i bought the second hard drive it came with the new cable. After that happened i switched the cable with the old one to see if it would make a difference. I doesnt make a difference at all and it still wont even if i switch the cable back.

Collapse -
Looks like bad hardware so far.

In reply to: ME Install problems

So far, operating systems from everyone don't take well to hardware issues. I'd setup the drive on a spiffy 80 conductor cable proper and run a hard drive diagnostic from the drive maker. If it fails, it fails and you move to another drive.

Some will go into denial over this, and when I re-read all the posts I see a bad hardware or bad setup issue.

Hope you fix the machine soon.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Looks like bad hardware so far.

In reply to: Looks like bad hardware so far.

Thx. ill go try that stuff. I dont plan on letting this comp die. had it for 4 years and it aint quitting yet.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.