Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

ME info

by mulberryrd / August 16, 2004 5:30 AM PDT

I am interested in a download that requires Windows 2000 or XP and a minimum 128 MB Ram.

I have Windows ME and 64 MB.

Two questions:

1. Are ME and Windows 2000 the same system or are they completely different?

2. If I don't have the minimum Ram would the download even work?

Thank you for the info.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re: ME info
by Kees Bakker / August 16, 2004 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: ME info

1. 2000 and XP are (internally) totally different from 98/ME.
2. If you had written a program that you knew could run in 98/ME, wouldn't you tell so?
3. If you had written a program that could run in 64 Mb, you wouldn't tell it needed 128 Mb, would you? But to be frank, XP needs 256 Mb to run reasonably.

So it seems a no-go really.

For better advice: tell the forum the name of the program you would like to download, and where you found it.

Kees

Collapse -
I have the same problem with IPod...
by Mosonnow / August 17, 2004 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: ME info

My son bought one, and, whilst knowing it would not run on ME beforehand, I half thought there might be an upgrade for a bit of my hardware that might enable it. So far, no luck, but it would make my day if you know of a way.

(I've got an Athlon 1400 256.)

I guess like Mulberryrd, I don't really want to change my O/S for one item.

TIA
Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: I have the same problem with IPod...
by mulberryrd / August 17, 2004 10:41 AM PDT

Mo,

As it happens it was the iTunes Music Store that I wanted to download but I guess I don't have the proper requirements. I will have to find somewhere else to spend my 99 cents per song.

I wasn't aware that IPods wouldn't run on ME, I had thoughts of buying one myself. Thanks for the info.

Mulberryrd

Collapse -
Have you had a look at the MP3 Forum?
by Mosonnow / August 17, 2004 6:20 PM PDT

Several posts refer to "which is best player". My son reckoned the Neuros would be a better bet than the IPod - you could see this thread giving some details - though I'm not sure if even that one runs on ME, or IRiver for that matter. (We didn't get it as it's not available here in the UK.) Now that Apple have brought out their version 4 over here, we opted for that one, as my son can download via a friend who has XP.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7595-0.html?forumID=71&threadID=14597&messageID=196208&tag=

I recall a couple of threads on the MP3 Forum about download sites - you might be able to find an alternative to ITunes. The CNET Advanced Search facility, which is on the "CNET Forums by Category" starting page, is very good.

Good luck
Mo

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!