Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

MDD Dual 867MHz CPU Overheating

I have noted the large number of problems with this particular model and heat issues, but I just received this stripped MDD to do an upgrade on the cheap for my B&W G3 server. In hindsight this might not have been the best unit to upgrade with, but for $72 on ebay (seller was unsure it was dual processor--which may have helped lack of bidding), I figured it was worth it.

After putting RAM to 2GB, putting in an ATI 9200 PCI graphics card, and inserting my HDs from the B&W with updated Tiger installed, everything booted fine with no problems. Dual processors checked out, RAM was fine, and all drives loaded without glitch.

Next go round, after 20-30 minutes it does the sleep/freeze thing everyone has mentioned here and elsewhere. All fans work and have tested with door open and high speed fan directly over heat sink and it still shuts down. Temperature Monitor has it rising above 80c and climbing, which I no longer let go until "closing" to avoid any more damage.

The weird thing about this is that during all of this, the aluminum heat sink remains relatively cool, as if it is not making any contact.

Is it possible it just needs a pad or compound to make contact and dissipate the heat through the sink etc., or does this sound like either a faulty sensor or failing CPU? The compound would be an easy fix (and it sounds logical), but I may just be missing the obvious here. My hope is that the prior owner just did not bother to find out why it did this and cannibalized the unit.

I could take out all the drives, etc. to reduce the heat build up, but I want this to function as a feasible house server that can be left on most of the time + because of the cool heat sink the behavior does not seem to relate to the heat in the housing.

Any and all help will be most welcome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MDD Dual 867MHz CPU Overheating
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MDD Dual 867MHz CPU Overheating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given the price of heatsink compound...

In reply to: MDD Dual 867MHz CPU Overheating

Why wasn't that done?

As to cooling the beast, you may want to entertain fans, etc.

Collapse -
Fear Factor

In reply to: Given the price of heatsink compound...

I wanted to get some feedback before I started ripping off heat sinks and potentially damaging the processors--since this will be my first dig into a motherboard beyond RAM and PCI cards. I am inclined to do this, but I wanted some confirmation first. From your reply, I assume you feel this is a likely culprit. Does the fact that it still boots etc. prior to overheating hint that the processors are feasibly still good? Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Ahh, fear.

In reply to: Fear Factor

I've yet to damage a CPU but I never "rip" off the heatsink. It's always gentle coaxing and kind words of persuasion. If you are still in fear then try the old leave the cover off and point a small fan at the box solution.
Bob

Collapse -
I did . . .

In reply to: Ahh, fear.

and it did nothing to abate the overheating. It is as if the heat sink has no contact point. Do you mean leave the heat sink off entirely? I assume the compound (or pad?) is the route to go next, but my fear is in applying the compound incorrectly. But at this point, I have a 30 minute machine, so I need to do something.

Collapse -
There are documents on how to apply compound.

In reply to: I did . . .

The method is exactly the same for every situation I've encountered. Type APPLYING HEATSINK COMPOUND GUIDE at google and enjoy.

Collapse -
Paste Did the Trick

In reply to: There are documents on how to apply compound.

I bit the bullet, went to Radio Shack and got Arctic Silver 5 compound, cleaned off the heat sink and processors with a credit card and alcohol as suggested on their site, screwed everything down, kept the door open with a fan pointed right at the heat sink, turned on and prayed.

With the door open and fan on, I am maintaining a 50.5-51.4C temp. When I close up and let the original (and annoyingly erratic) fan do the work, it maintains between 59.5 to 60.5C. This suggests I need a better fan, but I guess the old paste was just preventing any heat from conducting through to the sink.

Thanks for building up my confidence to actually "touch" the processor. Hopefully I am not too fearless now and avoid cracking open my laptop Wink

Collapse -
Shopping for fans.

In reply to: Paste Did the Trick

If I remember the fans are standard size and voltage but I can't guarantee that. I find fans on newegg.com..

Collapse -

In reply to: MDD Dual 867MHz CPU Overheating

With the addition of the ATI 9200 PCI graphics card, you need to upgrade your Power supply to a 300 watt unit. That will solve the problems of the overheating.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.