Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

McAfee SiteAdvisor - Still got Trojan Horse

by eddie11013 / January 19, 2007 8:28 AM PST

I got a tune in my head from the 'Supremes' today, so I said I'll just do a Google search and listen to something. You know how it is. Anyway, with McAfee as a guide, I clicked several pages looking for something I could actually hear. As soon as I got on one website, again McAfee saying it was safe, with its green arrow and green bar on the actual site, my AVG free antivirus program detected a Trojan. I told it to 'heal', which it said it did, and I closed the web page immediately. I "immediately" ran a scan with AVG and it found and deleted: Trojan Horse Downloader Small.57.V. Hmmmmm. I guess the good news is that my AVG worked. But I didn't actually get to a point where I even "played" anything. And "NO" I didn't download anything either. I haven't gotten a "virus/trojan" in maybe four or five years. By the way, I have AVG doing "daily" scans at noon, all clear, this occured about 4:45 PM. Hmmmmmm. And of course I still have that 'tune' in my head. LOL.
Oh Well,
Just an FYI,
Eddie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: McAfee SiteAdvisor - Still got Trojan Horse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: McAfee SiteAdvisor - Still got Trojan Horse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Time To Update Your Java
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 19, 2007 2:55 PM PST

Hi Eddie,

When running a Java applet from a web page using a vulnerable version of Java Runtime, an applet exploiting the vulnerability may escape Java's sandbox. This means that the Java applet would have exactly the same access to the file system and process execution as any native application.

Java vulnerabilities have been actively used by malicious web pages in the past, so it is quite possible that this new vulnerability will also be used.

So do make sure that your Java runtime is up to date, instructions are available at Sun Advisory #102760.

Note: Sun provides links to J2SE 5.0 Update 10 in their advisory.
version 6.0 is also available from: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/

Collapse -
I'm so Confused!
by eddie11013 / January 19, 2007 11:41 PM PST

Thanks for replying Marianna,

But now I?m confused. Which is the correct Java for my system. Windows XP Pro, SP2, IE6. When I went to start/run/cmd = I get: Java Version 1.6.0 ; Java SE Runtime Environment <build 1.6.0-b105> ; Java Hotspot client VM <build 1.6.0-b105, mixed node, sharing> Very well then I went to: Verify Installation -- http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp - Java Runtime Version
1.6.0 CONGRATULATIONS, you have the Latest version of Java! When I went to Java website http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp , it suggests: Java Runtime Environment Version 5.0 Update 10, when you click on download it takes you to verify installation, and again says you have the latest version. The ?Java? that I have saved in ?My Downloads? folder, and the one that I installed, is JRE-6 windows-i586.exe. When I go to start/control panel/add & remove programs, I have listed: Java SE Runtime Environment 6. Hmmm. I?m so confused.
Thanks in advance for any guidance,
Eddie

Collapse -
You DO have the latest version Eddie from what you have
by roddy32 / January 20, 2007 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: I'm so Confused!

said about the way you checked it on your computer. The java website is often very slow in updating the pages that check the version. You could also go into the control panel and double click the java cup and then click where it says "about".

As far as Site Advisor giving the green light to that the other website, WHEN they checked it, it was probably OK but they do not continuously check every website. It could have even been an advertisement that was carrying the infection., Site Advisor is good but always proceed cautiously anyway even if it is green.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, Roddy, it says v6, so just need to be careful
by eddie11013 / January 20, 2007 12:20 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome Eddie, Stay safe.
by roddy32 / January 20, 2007 12:26 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?