Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

McAfee Security Center 6

by Ksassy44 / December 15, 2004 2:08 AM PST

When I reboot I keep getting this message (now very annoying) Some components are either missing or not installed correctly. Re-Install.

I bought McAfee Security package version 6 via there web site Feb. '04 and cannot seem to get any help from them at all and now I am throughly Peaved! In ADD/Remove I tried to uninstall but it says I cannot access some files! Duh?

I have tried to delete this program entirely but I have not been successful there either. I have taken it as far as I can and then tried to re-install but it never installs correctly and I am back to square one.

If I could uninstall it completely then I would simply install it again.

Any suggesstions for an intermediate computer person?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: McAfee Security Center 6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: McAfee Security Center 6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same here
by keyhoti2 / December 15, 2004 3:26 AM PST

Much as I like McAfee firewall and virus scan - and a lot more - I do wish I had never tried Privacy Service, partly because it simply isn't necessary and partly because, like you, I can't get rid of some remnant.

I have settled for the slight inconvenience of just clicking "OK" on the error message I get on start-up, but it would be nice if someone knows how to stop getting it.

I'm inclined to suspect that even if one hasn't bought a suite of products - which I didn't - Security Centre 6 is set up in such a way that, if you add Privacy Service and/or Spamkiller, then they lock into shared components which maybe cannot be deleted without losing everything.

I found some entries in the registry which might be the culprits, but I wasn't and won't be game to experiment in that area.

Sorry I can't be of any real help, but I thought it might be useful to add some comments.

Collapse -
As we speak I am......trying ONE MORE TIME
by Ksassy44 / December 15, 2004 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Same here

I'm totally disgusted with their performance, although I do believe the product has served me well, when it works, right? and I can get the support they say is "mine for the asking"! unhuh?

I accidentally signed onto the site with a different email address and it took me 6 months of constant emails to get them to understand I couldn't log into the site to even rertrieve the downloading process because I didn't have the correct addy! I am very frustrated!

For about the 10th time I am attempting to delete this problem child! I did go to www.McAfee.com/support and walla! The page appeared w/o problems as previously.
At that site I was able to bring up information on how to enter the registry, step by step. So there I will forgage for suitable info I will be comfortable with. Either I make things worse or solved. Preferably the latter.

I just found this CNET forum today adn I see it is going to be a huge help for me. If I am successful with the geristy I will let you know.

Collapse -
McAfee Security Pre-install
by oatesjam / December 20, 2004 11:11 AM PST

Disable or shutdown any firewalls and programs that block ads, cookies and Active X controls.

Configure Microsoft Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. On the tools menu, click 'Internet Options' to open the Internet Options dialog box.
3. Click the 'Security'tab and click the 'Default' button.
4. Click the 'Privacy'tab, and click the 'Default' button.
5. Click the 'Programs'tab, and click 'Reset Web Settings.
6. Click the 'Advanced' tab, and click 'Restore Defaults'.
7. Click 'Apply'.

Delete Internet Cache:
Click the 'General'tab, and click 'Delete Files'. When a dialog window appears, put a check mark next to 'Delete Offline Content' and click 'OK'.

Delete corrupted Active X controls:
Click the 'Settings' button. The 'Settings' dialog box appears. View the Active x directory by clicking the 'View Object' button. The 'Downloaded Program Files' window opens. Remove the following Active x objects below(if they exist)by right clicking each one and then click remove.
1. BrowseFolderPopup Class
2. DwnldGroupMgr Class
3.McAfee.com Operating System Class
4. Any object enclosed in brackets with numbers and letters e.g. {A3455990-BFJ3303....}.
When finished, close the 'Downloaded Program' window.
Click 'OK' to close 'Settings'.
Click 'OK' to cloce Internet Options.

Insert the your CD to re-install or click on your downloaded zip file from McAfee to re-install.

The above procedures worked for me. Hope you are successful.

Collapse -
Thanks
by keyhoti2 / December 20, 2004 9:21 PM PST

I'll give that a go.

Regards, Gerry

Collapse -
Simple to fix
by inverted_2000 / January 19, 2005 6:00 AM PST

Uninstall any McAfee components, ie) antivirus, firewall, spamkiller etc from Add/Remove Programs.
Security Center will still not uninstall.

Go into C:\Program Files
in here you will notice, as on my clients machine, mcafee.com and mcafee.com(2)folders...delete them both.

Reboot.....and reinstall one of the components, ie) the antivirus.

Hope that helped
Chris

Collapse -
But I did reinstall it and found
by inverted_2000 / January 19, 2005 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Simple to fix

that I started to get a script error with the reinstallation...so I'm just going to install an antivirus without the stinking Security Center and forget that this ever happened.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?