Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

McAfee, IE, System Info - all won't run!

3 weeks ago one of the computers (all are xp pcs) on my home network came down with this problem, now a second computer has it. This 2nd computer was running w/o virus protection, and i had to reload windows to get it unlocked. Internet explorer won't run, mcafee won't scan(!), can't even get system info or My Computer to open, so iexplore doesn't work either. (please don't tell me to go the the mcafee web site and run their online software - i can get on the internet, but not with IE, which Mcafee requires!) so far comp # 3 is ok. anybody know what this is or how to fix other than format HDs? i have the mcafee error message if that helps.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: McAfee, IE, System Info - all won't run!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: McAfee, IE, System Info - all won't run!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
kncshn.. Yes the error message would help.. and

In reply to: McAfee, IE, System Info - all won't run!

as a matter of fact, it would also help to know which McAfee products you're using and which build/version. Grif is our resident ''McAfee Maniac'' and he usually see's these posts. (I think he has some form of radar going on. :D) It would help to have as much information as you can offer. The more the better. Have you scanned with anything? If so, what?

I do have some thoughts, but I would rather wait until someone more knowledgeable than I comes along.

Meanwhile..more information..
Carol

Collapse -
kncshn.. Another thought..

In reply to: McAfee, IE, System Info - all won't run!

and.. a shot in the dark! You said, ''please don't tell me to go the the mcafee web site and run their online software - i can get on the internet, but not with IE, which Mcafee requires''. Can I presume from your statement, that you have been to the McAfee Forum? (Or was it McAfee's website?) There are two threads, at the forum, where people ''seem'' to be having similiar problems as you. (Keep in mind, you haven't yet given the ''error message'' you spoke of. So this really is a guess! Plus.. you didn't mention anything about ''worm activity''.) If you have been to the forum and are experiencing the same as others, it might narrow some things down a bit.

The shorter thread seems to show people experiencing the same problem. The much longer thread, where I see Grif has posted, also sounds similar. I'm only guessing on all of this.. but again saying.. if your are experiencing the same problems, as other McAfee user's, it would help to know it here.

Perhaps, I should have waited for a reply, with McAfee's error message in it. It wouldn't hurt to take a look at the forum and see if you find similiarities, until such time, either Grif see's this, or someone who knows more than I do does. (That accounts for a lot of people! ;))

A lot of hunches and guesses..
Carol

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!