HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

McAfee firewall

by Igiveup2 / March 18, 2007 10:01 PM PDT

I'm switching from McAfee to NOD32 for virus/spyware protection on a Vista system. NOD32 has no firewall and things are a little thin right now in the Vista firewall department. Two questions:

Will the firewall remain functional after the McAfee subscription expires? Does the subscription expiration simply mean that updates are no longer available, or will it disable the firewall and other features?

According to NOD32 I will need to disable other scanners to avoid conflicts. If I keep the McAfee firewall, which McAfee services would I need to disable to stop the McAfee scans from interfering with the NOD32 scans?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: McAfee firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: McAfee firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which McAfee?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: McAfee firewall

You've not told us your operating system...or the version of McAfee you have installed? They make a VirusScan Plus, Internet Security, even the 4-5 year old VirusScan 7 had a firewall..

Most of McAfee's newer prescription models need to have a paid annual prescription for anything to work.. The older, "perpetual" programs would continue to work correctly even if the updates were stopped.

As to which programs NOD32 needs to have remove, you'll need to ask the NOD32 folks. If they're only referring to ViruScanners, then maybe only VS will need to be removed.. Then again, if you're using the newer "suite" of programs, which include SPAM scanners and antispyware tools, you may need to remove everything.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It's McAfee Internet Security Suite 2007 on Vista
by Igiveup2 / March 19, 2007 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Which McAfee?

So....do I understand you correctly that the whole thing is dead once the subscription lapses? Or does lapsing the subscription only keep the threat scans from updating? And if it's the latter, what is the best way to disable the McAfee scanners without removing the McAfee firewall?

Collapse -
McAfee's Official Answer...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 9:46 AM PDT

Your Internet Security Suite 2007 is a subscription product. Unfortunately, since you're asking about the "Firewall" portion only from a "subscription" product, I can only say: "I'm not sure", primarily because I don't use any of the newer McAfee "retail" products and haven't tested the option you discuss.. (I use older retail versions and their corporate Enterprise versions which are "Perpetual" products.)

Still, here is McAfee's official stance on the issue:

Will my online subscription or perpetual license still work if they have expired?
http://cs.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=937

It sounds like the firewall will die when the subscription expires, but it's not completely clear.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Looks like I'm the guinea pig here.
by Igiveup2 / March 19, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Collapse -
Applies to Product Lifecyle
by Donna Buenaventura / March 20, 2007 7:05 AM PDT

There's a link from the link that Grif provided to you:
http://cs.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=841

"When you purchase a boxed McAfee product or purchase the download-only version on-line, you are granted a perpetual software license. This means that you own the right to use the product for the entire length of that product's life. A product's life is normally considered to end when a version two steps higher is released, or when End-of-Life for the product is announced. For an overview of current product versions, please visit: http://us.mcafee.com/root/support.asp?id=retail_policy "

It seems to me that you can continue to use the firewall even if it is expired but no updates/upgrade on firewall IF the product is not discontinued yet
See http://us.mcafee.com/root/support.asp?id=retail_policy

To be sure, you should login to your McAfee account:
If there is no blue download arrow, the product is a Perpetual License.
I think it's best to contact their support via your McAfee account and ask if anything in their Internet Security 2007 is useable still after the subscription expire.

Collapse -
Donna, ONLY If It's A Boxed Product...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 8:13 AM PDT

In this case, I believe it's OEM that came with the machine. Downloaded and OEM products generally are NOT "perpetual". This one's probably NOT "perpetual" but it's hard to know for sure.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif!
by Donna Buenaventura / March 20, 2007 8:28 AM PDT

OEM, NFR, or free McAfee thru Comcast or other ISPs is not a purchased item so McAfee's statement:

"When you purchase a boxed McAfee product or purchase the download-only version on-line, you are granted a perpetual software license."

If member "Igiveup2" didn't buy his McAfee then he don't have perpetual software license.

Collapse -
The guinea pig speaks
by Igiveup2 / March 20, 2007 8:44 AM PDT

From the McAfee site:

"When you purchase a boxed McAfee product or purchase the download-only version on-line, you are granted a perpetual software license. This means that you own the right to use the product for the entire length of that product's life. A product's life is normally considered to end when a version two steps higher is released, or when End-of-Life for the product is announced."

This appears to support Donna's interpretation. There could, however, be an additional restriction attached to an OEM version. We're about to find out.

Collapse -
The results are in.
by Igiveup2 / March 21, 2007 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: The guinea pig speaks

McAfee Personal Firewall Service is listed as a running service in the task manager. Firewall interface is responsive. CPU responds to changes in firewall control settings. Firewall appears alive.

Meanwhile, the NOD32 deep scan tells me zero detects. McAfee antivirus did OK in its brief tenure.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks For Posting Back With the Results
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: The results are in.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.