General discussion

McAfee Continues to Harm WinPatrol Users

Bits from Bill:

Two weeks ago McAfee changed one of their signature files and it started to tell all their customers our WinPatrol setup programs was a dangerous Trojan named Artemis!4FAE1D776481. A week ago I finally found the correct procedure to submit my file and report their ?false-positive? error. I was told by an automated Email that their test was inconclusive and the file was being sent to Bangalore India for more research...

...It?s not unusual for Anti-Virus companies to report ?false positives?. This has happen a few times in the past but other companies had quick responses and were anxious to fix their errors. The same is not true with McAfee which is now owned by Intel....

This mistake by McAfee came at a time when a brand new version of WinPatrol was released and widely promoted. I can?t begin to imagine how many customers I?ve lost because McAfee wouldn?t allow them to install WinPatrol. I?m sad to say many believed McAfee and will never trust WinPatrol. This is a great insult to their users and the entire WinPatrol community. Even now hundreds of copies of the falsely identified versions are still available on websites like CNET?s Download.com...

Complete Article:
http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2010/10/mcafee-continues-to-harm-winpatrol.html

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: McAfee Continues to Harm WinPatrol Users
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: McAfee Continues to Harm WinPatrol Users
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
CNet will be updated soon

I know CNET can't remove the negative reviews so I'm moving at fast as I can to update the version on download.com.

While I can't update every website in the world, I will upload a new setup later today so CNET won't have a version with the false positive connected to it.
The folks at CNET are pretty fast so they may even beat me to it.

Thanks all,
Bill

- Collapse -
(NT) Hi Bill, good to see you here :)
- Collapse -
FWIW: The Reviews

Bill..

Both reviews have a reply indicating it's a false reading on McAfee's part. The second of the two, more "specific" information, which should help McAfee user's for the time being.

I have no doubt, this will be straightened out in short order.

Carol

- Collapse -
Review Count

Carol,

Yes I was pleased that both reviewers acknowledged their faith in WinPatrol. That made me feel good but they still only gave one star which adds up and could prevent me from getting more exposure.

Thanks!
Bill

- Collapse -
Problem solved

UPDATE 10-10-2010
It's always nice to have friends like Steven Burn who manages the website http://www.it-mate.co.uk. Steve was helpful in getting a response from McAfee.
--------
"Just checked our database. That particular file was whitelisted today, Oct 10 2010 (Sunday, BTW Happy) , by a McAfee researcher in Bangalore, India. So, the detection should go away soon as the "news" spread through the cloud
(Artemis is our "in the cloud" detection technology).
Dmitry Gryaznov"
------------

I have confirmed using VirusTotal that we test clean. Dmitry and a few other corrected me when I said McAfee was owned by Intel. This transaction has not been completed so Intel is not currently involved with any operations at McAfee.

- Collapse -
Great news Bill. This is not the

first time Steven has come through in a crisis.

CNET Forums

Forum Info