Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

mcafee - computer slow at start up

by shona.malhan / August 7, 2008 2:36 AM PDT

I have mcafee antivirus loaded onto my Windows XP computer. I've got tons of free space on my computer but still mcafee slows it down very much. I can't use my computer for a good half hour after turning it on because mcafee's processes suck the life out of my computer.

Any way to make mcafee hog less resources from my computer? It uses crazy amounts of memory. I don't want to diable any processes or postpone anything (right now i think its set to update and everything at startup). I would like to be able to do what I need to do on my computer while mcafee runs in the background without it making everything so slow.

I would really appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mcafee - computer slow at start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mcafee - computer slow at start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why stick with it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 2:44 AM PDT

There are many fine other choices out there. I know some that will sleep on a bad bed because they paid for it.

Collapse -
have to keep mcafee
by shona.malhan / August 7, 2008 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Why stick with it?

the computer is provided to me by the company I work for. So I can't get rid of mcafee and install just anything else...

But yes I do agree with you that there are other choices out there that are faster. Any advice on how I can deal with mcafee?

Collapse -
Which Version Of McAfee Are You Using??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: have to keep mcafee

You mentioned that it is a "company" computer. How much RAM is installed? On Windows XP with McAfee installed, I'll suggest having 1 GB of RAM, at least.. Are you using the corporate Enterprise version or the retail version? RIGHT click on the McAfee icon in the lower right corner, choose "About VirusScan" (or something similar), then tell us the version of McAfee you're using, the Patch Number", the "Scan Engine" version, and the "Definitions(DAT) version"...

Many of the items set to default are not required settings. Check to make sure it doesn't automatically run a system scan at startup.. Check to make sure it's not set to scan floppy discs at closing.. Try changine the scan settings to "scan default files" instead of "scan all files"..UNCHECK the box that causes it to "Scan Network Drives".. Those are just a start but we'll need to know the version you're using.

There are quite a tweaks you can perform with the corporate versions but I'll need to know the exact version . Unfortunately, the retail consumer versions have LOTS of programs that hog up resources and it makes it a little more difficult to pick and choose which parts of the overall "suite" of programs you want to keep.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
here's the info I found
by shona.malhan / August 7, 2008 7:58 AM PDT

RAM = 504 MB (my co-worker has got 512 MB but no prob with mcafee on her computer... btw i got this from control panel > system. )

The info for mcafee installed products:

SECURITY CENTRE ---------
version: 8.1
build:8.1.173

VIRUSSCAN ---------------
version 12.1
build: 12.1.110
DAT version: 5355.0000
DAT creation date: 8/6/2008
Engine Version: 5200.2160

PERSONAL FIREWALL -------
version: 9.1
build: 9.1.108

SITEADVISOR -------------
version: 2.3
build: 2.3.6028

SPAMKILLER --------------
version: 8.0
build: 8.0.226
content version: 8.0.52.0

Sorry I didn't see "Patch Number" anywhere. It currently does not scan network drives. There is no option of scan default files that I could find, only "scan all files (recommended)" or "program files and documents only" . Right now it is set to "scan all files". It is set to scheduled scans (as oppose to manual scans) and under that category there are no options to not scan floppy discs. Also, I noticed under the Scheduled Scan tab "Scan using minimal computer resources" was checked.

At one point last year I had a leg injury and for a month or so I had to try not to put pressure on the leg and stay at home. So, I asked if I could work from home during that period and got my computer delivered to my home. But at one point it sort of crashed and an old co-worker (now gone) rebooted and reloaded everything including mcafee, so I don't know if its retail or corporate. When I came back to work I brought the computer back with me. But I think its always been slow.

I await your reply dear computer guru.

Collapse -
You're Using The Retail Version Of McAfee.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 9:28 AM PDT

...You've got it set as it's supposed to be.. There isn't too much wiggle room on the retail version, (many of the changes I suggested are for the corporate version only), but I recommend setting it to the "Manual scans" option.. That particular setting should allow you to run manual scans on a weekly basis and should prevent it from automatically scanning at startup which may be causing many of the symptoms that you've been seeing..

Your issue could also be a problem with the SpamKiller program gumming up the works in your Outlook/Outlook Express program.. If SpamKiller isn't a major advantage for you, then you can disable SpamKiller by double-clicking the M icon, select "E-mail and IM", choose "Configure", select "Spam Protection" then select "Disable".

In addition, adding more RAM, at least another 512 MB, would be your best bet to help overall performance of the computer..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by shona.malhan / August 7, 2008 9:41 AM PDT

Thanks. I'll try what you suggested.

Collapse -
"computer is provided to me by the company" = NIMBY?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: have to keep mcafee

That's super. Let them fix this or just let it add to the hours you charge.

Collapse -
on order
by shona.malhan / August 7, 2008 10:38 AM PDT

lol they ordered a new set of computers for everyone so hopefully even after they reload mcafee I won't have issues with it. But the new ones aren't coming in for another two-three months. X_X . And I have no idea about the RAM or what else will be on them.

I wanted to suggest to them to load a different AV. Know of any good ones that won't slow down the computer? Apparently they have a long term thing with mcafee so unless I can find a good free one to suggest my manager said they'll probably end up sticking with mcafee with the new computers. He's also interested because he has mcafee at home with the same problems like mine at work Wink

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
I am getting the same problem with 1GB RAM
by ptalukder / September 14, 2010 4:07 AM PDT

I am getting the same problem with 1GB RAM, windows xp. I installed McAfee thru. ATT. My computer is slower than earlier, but workable.
My understanding is more RAM is required for McAfee. McAfee use lots of momory space. I uninstalled McAfee and using Microsoft Security Essentials which is free. I am okay with that.
Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?