Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

McAfee 6.0 using sdat____ updates

by jetman007 / January 1, 2010 4:20 AM PST

A couple of months ago I updated my McAfee virus program with the sdat5816.exe update and now every time I start my computer it brings up a message which says that the files have been tampered with and to use the emergency disk to find the virus and then reinstall McAfee. Well, not particularly believing that something had tampered with the files I just removed the McAfee program from the computer and registry and reinstalled it. when I updated the program with an old sdat file it worked fine then when I updated the program with the newer sdat file this same problem occured again. I then scrubbed my entire hard drive and did a fresh install of the entire winxp and experienced the same results the old sdat files worked fine and the newer sdat files bring up this message saying that something has tampered with the McAfee files.
It appears that McAfee is discouraging anyone with an older program to drop the use and subscribe to the online system they now promote. Any feedback?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: McAfee 6.0 using sdat____ updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: McAfee 6.0 using sdat____ updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is not supported anymore, right?
by Donna Buenaventura / January 1, 2010 2:42 PM PST
Collapse -
McAfee 6 not supported
by jetman007 / January 1, 2010 4:39 PM PST

I have been able to download adat updates even now. They programed the updates to give you a message that makes you think that there is something wrong or they create the problem and attempt to make you think something else has caused the problem.

click on the "I agree" button at this link and you will see the adat update files to download

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/superdat.asp

let me know what you think

Collapse -
Yep, The DAT File Will Stop Working For Older Versions..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 3, 2010 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: McAfee 6 not supported

Originally, the superdat update file was scheduled to lose the "scan.dat", "clean.dat", and "names.dat" on December 31, 2009, which have been used on the older VirusScan versions. The Superdat file is an executable which contains update files for older AND newer versions of VirusScan. (The new VirusScan versions use files with different names to update, such as avvscan.dat, etc.) As such, the Superdat has gotten extremely large, in excess of 110 MB. The need to reduce the size was needed. At this point, it looks like the superdat will still continue to contain those older files for 2 or 3 months more.. But at that time, the superDAT file will no longer support the older versions of VirusScan such as VS 7 and earlier.

Yes, McAfee has always urged users to stay current with the newest versions of the virus definitions, scan engines, and their programs.. It's a little tough to tell exactly what occurred here since you didn't give us the EXACT error message, but I certainly recommend finding a current version of McAfee.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.