General discussion

mbp trackpad doesnt click

i have a 13" mbp with snowleopard.
some 15 days ago, my trackpad could do all gestures just fine but it couldn't click.
i have the "touch to click" option turned off.
so, after pressing down on the trackpad like 10 times, it could only register one click.

as my warranty was valid back then, i gave my laptop to the service guy. he opened my laptop up, checked the trackpad and said it was fine and he told me that it must be a software problem.
so i erased the hdd and installed leopard and the problem was solved.

now my warranty has expired and the problem has come back.

whats wrong with my laptop ??

(i checked verified my disk and disk permissions, they're all fine)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: mbp trackpad doesnt click
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: mbp trackpad doesnt click
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try deleting the Finder preferences

and take a look in Home > Library > Preferences for anything that mentions the trackpad.

Drag the file onto the desktop and restart

P

- Collapse -
there are 2 preferences folders

one of the folders is in Macintosh HD and the other is in my user account/file
but none of those folders have anything related to trackpad

i searched "trackpad" in spotlight but the file that showed belonged to the PreferencePanes folder

- Collapse -
But I bet there was one that mentioned Finder preferences

which was the first thing I mentioned.

I also specified your HOME folder

P

- Collapse -
by home folder you mean Macintosh HD or my user account ?

either ways, i cant find nething thats trackpad related in either of the preferences folders...

- Collapse -
So you said, but,

did you delete the FINDER preferences as suggested?

P

- Collapse -
pardon my stupidity...

i dont follow you.
please explain from the beginning

here's what i did :

i found the trackpad-related file in the preferencepanes folder in macintosh hd>system>library>preferncepanes
i dragged the file to the desktop (mbp copied the file onto the desktop instead of moving it)

i restarted and my clicks registered more often than before. or maybe its my perceptions.
mbp doesnt click evrytime i press the trackpad down

thank you for your help and patience

- Collapse -
Not the right file

and the wrong location.

Home(your username) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.finder.plist

P

- Collapse -
I wonder.

"configure a right-click area on the trackpad. "

I read your posts and can't see if you looked at this configuration option. Maybe the right click is too big?
Bob

- Collapse -
Well...

The first thing to do is backup your files, and then run the Snow Leopard Installer again.

It will install a fresh copy of the operating system.

If that fixes the problem, keep an eye out for it recurring.

Because this is a VERY strange problem. If the trackpad is physically fine, then it's got to be the prefs file for the trackpad getting corrupted.

Which could only happen if;
a) you are running some third-party app like Norton AV that's known to damage files, or

b)the hard drive could be faulty. That's a good explanation for strange file corruption.

So if a reinstall fixes it, you don't run anything like Norton, and it comes back, consider a new Hard Drive.

They really are inexpensive these days.

- Collapse -
oh crap.

i did like i was told.

dragged the com.apple.finder.plist file from my user account's library folder onto my desktop
i hit restart but i still have the problem

i dont run norton antivirus but i do run third party apps (who doesnt)
i checked my verified my disk when i got the problem and my disk was fine. my permissions were also fine.

i had this problem when my laptop was in warranty, i reinstalled the os and everything was back to normal, until recently Sad

still dont know what the problem is

- Collapse -
i havnt configured my trackpad to right click

i use the two fingered right click

either ways, i cannot right click or left click by pressing down on the touchpad.
i can do them perfectly fine if i tap the touchpad to click

- Collapse -
(NT) is there no solution to this problem ?? :(
- Collapse -
Archive and Install

remember to Preserver user settings.

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info