MacBooks forum

General discussion

MBP Desktop Setup

by insane192 / November 4, 2007 4:19 PM PST

I've ordered my new MBP which should be coming shortly but now I need to sort out how I will use it as my desktop. My current plan is to buy an external monitor, a keyboard and a mouse and have my main window running on external while having the MBP sitting beside it for itunes windows etc and for the speakers.

Monitors:
Currently I'm looking at the Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP 20.1"
I've read some reviews and it seems worth the extra money for ultrasharp as I'll be working with photos and video.
Also i would like to know if it worth the extra money for the ACD.

Keyboard:
I'll be ordering the standard wired apple keyboard

Mouse:
The logitech vx nano so I can use it on the road.

If anyone has any suggestions comments.

Regards

Message was edited by: admin to remove name

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MBP Desktop Setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MBP Desktop Setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just out of my curiosity, do you intend to keep
by tleMega / November 5, 2007 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: MBP Desktop Setup

your MBP open or closed while hooked to the external? It's easy to hook it up with the included adapter, but I've found that when I turn it on, close it, and run it on my external, it runs for a minute and shuts off. On the other hand, you could use extended desktop mode, or link the two together, but it may hurt the eyes after awhile. Not fun. Unless you plan to use both together, closing it won't help you two much, even if you attempt to wake it up with external mice or keyboards. After you login (supposing you have all your security goodies on), it goes back to sleep once it realizes that the laptop screen is closed. Of course there may be a way to get around this, but I've tried multiple times before with no success.

I recommend some type of widescreen monitor, but I don't know if they one you're looking at is or not. Note: I'm not a Dell fan. My HP external monitor is square, or almost, so the resolution tends to be changed or the images on it change quite a bit. In extended desktop mode, it actually enlarges the desktop backgrounds and usage areas and other stuff... but it looks odd compared to the MBP screen.

If you explain some more about what you plan to do with it, I could offer some more guidance if you need it.
-BMF

Collapse -
Desktop Setup
by insane192 / November 5, 2007 4:09 PM PST

I intend to have the main display sitting right in front of me while the MBP would be just off to the left with the lid open and screen on. I would have it in extended desktop mode with the toolbar and the main windows I'm working with on the external display while I have my itunes and mail windows etc. on the MBP display.

But I'm now leaning toward the apple display because The Dell ultrasharp 20" and ACD 20" are only

Collapse -
I do like the Apple displays myself.
by tleMega / November 6, 2007 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: Desktop Setup

Anyway, my MBP doesn't like running two screens at once. It makes some interesting sounds from time to time and the fans will speed up when I'm just using Word on the external. Be sure to keep it plugged in its power adapter and that it stays relatively cool. I ought to buy a stand or external heat sink for it, but I have yet to do so. I wouldn't say it takes too much power for the laptop to run the external, but it does drain a bit.

But you're getting the newer model, so perhaps you'll have better luck. Maybe the Santa Rosa architecture will work better than mine. I don't have actual data to back that up, but just let us know how it goes for you.
-BMF

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!