Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

MBAM just crashed?

by ilikerhinos / May 24, 2014 12:18 PM PDT

While getting things sorted out over in the Linux forums, MBAM has alerted me of a threat. It has quarantined mbam.exe, and also mbam.dll. What am I do make of this? Unquarantine it? Never once seen something like this. The only thing running at the time was firefox, with two tabs open, one to cnet, the other to gmail. The filepath leads where it should. Microsoft Security Essentials is installed, and also spybot s&d along with the now crippled MBAM. Every time I start it up it freezes, I wait for the computer to respond about 30 seconds after clicking Wait for program.., it finally starts its mojo, and immediately alerts me of its imminent doom. I'm tempted to ask on MBAM forums thinking that if they made the program they'd how to fix it?

Reinstalling does not fix this even with RevoUninstaller.
Windows 7 Home 64 bit is only days old from a clean install and minimal software installs after that.

ilikerhinos has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MBAM just crashed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MBAM just crashed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ilikerhinos

Collapse -
Try sysytem restore
by itsdigger / May 24, 2014 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: MBAM just crashed?

to an earlier date.

Digger

Collapse -
once again
by ilikerhinos / May 24, 2014 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Try sysytem restore

Long time no see. Once again you've come to the rescue. After restoring everything to when the OS was literally like new, with some updates, but no other software, it works as usual. It looks like during the install of MBAM something got corrupted. Was running ccleaner, spybot s&d, and MSE installs all at the same time too..

Collapse -
ya know
by itsdigger / May 24, 2014 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: once again

you need to be careful of where you download those free utilities from , you could be downloading "extra" unwanted add-on's without knowing it.
Make sure you do the custom install and un-check the offers for stuff you don't want installed.

Digger

Collapse -
Answer
I just ran MBAM on my system - no problem w/mbam
by wpgwpg / May 24, 2014 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: MBAM just crashed?

Like you I have a 64 bit Windows 7 system. I ran MalwareBytes and it found a few PUPs, mbam wasn't among them. So if I were you, I'd take Digger's advice and do a System Restore to an earlier date, then run MalwareBytes again. If you still have problems after that, be sure you've got your data backed up.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Hey wpg
by itsdigger / May 24, 2014 12:49 PM PDT

can Spybot and MABAM be causing a conflict?

Digger

Collapse -
oops
by itsdigger / May 24, 2014 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Hey wpg

MBAM

Collapse -
I don't think so, Digger
by wpgwpg / May 24, 2014 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Hey wpg

Spybot and MBAM are both malware detectors so unless something's changed that I don't know about, they shouldn't conflict. I have to add that I don't use Spybot and I'm using the free version of Mbam FWIW.

I'll just comment that the way things change these days, by the time you think you've got an understanding of how something works, some clever devil somewhere changes things; and it's back to learning mode again. E.g. something like UEFI comes along - I'm sure glad I don't have to buy a new PC for another couple of years!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.