Laptops forum

General discussion

MAYDAY Compaq Presario M2223 Notebook - Strange Heating Prob

I just bought a shiny new Compaq Presario M2223AP Notebook with Intel Centrino Mobile Tech (Intel Pentium-M 730, 40GB Seagate 4200RPM, 256MB DDR333, 15" TFT, Combo drive). Its absolutely fantastic looking and working as well, but theres a big BUT to to it.

The hard drive is located to the left of the touchpad and under the left palm of the hand. After certain time, the hard drive becomes warm and finally hot. I dont play games, dont run processor intensive tasks/programs and still after an hour of web surfing or an occassional letter drafting on the word processor (microsoft Word 2003), the hard drive becomes hot and ultimately the fan starts spinning frequently. I downloaded a software utility called "HDDlife Pro" that monitors hard drive health/temperature and performance. The software alerts me of URGENT OVERHEAT that the current temp has reached to 46, 47 and 48C whereas max is 51C.

I asked the reseller and he said carelessly that it was normal. The tech support was also unable to find a solution to it. I, on the other hand have few thoughts and they are:

1. Will increasing the RAM help in reducing the overall burden on the processor and/or hard drive and thus do some good?

2. Will replacing the current Seagate 4200RPM hard drive, with a 5400RPM larger cache better hard drive like Fujitsu etc? do the trick?

I also tried deleting background running programs and startup programs and kept everything to the minimum. Just simple web surfing with 3-4 browser windows open and the thing gets hot. Please reply urgently. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MAYDAY Compaq Presario M2223 Notebook - Strange Heating Prob
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MAYDAY Compaq Presario M2223 Notebook - Strange Heating Prob
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't see the issue either.

In reply to: MAYDAY Compaq Presario M2223 Notebook - Strange Heating Prob

Hard disks used to be rated out to well past 55C. To meet costs and over specifications the numbers slowly dropped to what you see today. Unless you've been watching this trend you might be alarmed at being at or just under this maximum.

So, again. What is your issue?

Bob

Collapse -
The fan of course

In reply to: I don't see the issue either.

Actually after the hard drive temp rises, not only shown by the software but also evident from the area housing the hard drive becomes uncomfortably hot, the fan starts spinning. I had a ThinkPad R51 and despite doing lot of work on it, the fan would ot come on so much. But this beauty, lets its fan spin of and on. And needless to say that the fan is not so quiet.

Collapse -
RE

In reply to: The fan of course

I have a few Compaq notebooks (P4, Pent.M, Celeron and AMD 4000+). The only housing that doesn't feel that hot is the R4000 although I know the processor runs much hotter than Pentium M. It's juat how they design it I guess. My V2000's (Pentium M) housing gets really hot also. The fan however hardly runs. BUT will run continuously if I place it on my bed. I think because I block the ventilation or something.

Collapse -
Grab MobileMeter...

In reply to: The fan of course

word on the street is that there is no
word on the streed about what is considered
'safe' operating tempurature. More and more
people are starting to upgrade their laptops and
are discovering that:
a) Their new machines run much hotter
b) the fan runs more often or all the time

we hit the thermal threshold long ago, and its
something we will have to get used to.

HDD temps can vary from 39C to 48C 50++ seems
a little too high. Depending how close the
manufacturer place the HDD to the CPU bay could
also be a factor.

Solutions:

You can buy one of those cooling pads with
built in fans. Or you can step down your CPU
cycles.

in the mean time download MobileMeter and see
if the readings are the same:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/

Collapse -
Ditto

In reply to: Grab MobileMeter...

MobileMeter rocks. I put that in my Startup folder.

Anything under 50C is pretty normal for a notebook HD. Seagate is one of the best brands. If the temperature reached over 50C for extended periods of time I'd be worried.

Try propping up the back of your notebook by a half inch or so if it's on your desk. That'll help with cooling in general a bit. Definitely make sure nothing is blocking the fan.

Collapse -
So what is the issue?

In reply to: Ditto

I see that we measure such, but what is the issue?

Nothing's broken here.

Bob

Collapse -
the non-issue issue / issue....

In reply to: So what is the issue?

the user is apparently unaware that the
'new norm' is higher operating temps, and
more fan operation. So in essence, the issue
really is a non-issue. Then again, thermal
shutdown is becoming more prevalent in todays
laptops, so the issue becomes relevant again.

As previously posted in the past (search this
forum) there are a number of ways/hacks/mods
one can use to keep the temperature down.

Here's another DIY project:
http://homemadelaptopcooler.blogspot.com/

Collapse -
Thanks.

In reply to: the non-issue issue / issue....

I think that may be it. My old P3 600MHz laptop barely ran the fan and didn't get too warm even after I upgraded hard disk and DVD/CDRW drives. Today we have multiple GHz CPUs, 3D GPUs, GB of RAM and forget "what have we done to ourselves?"

Let me state that I don't want to go back 10 years to those old laptops and such.

Bob

Collapse -
project cool box

In reply to: the non-issue issue / issue....

it,s pretty bad that in 2005 that a notebook should be placed on a cooler.this is simple--- skip the hobby shop for the wood working skils to cool your notebook.pretty freaken sad man.I had the sony S460 for a week and it was the mini micro wave.it went back and compusa got my money back they put it on display and trid to resell it with a 200.00 discount.the good thing was the mother board burned up before some one bought it.the pc notebook makers need to get a grip with some of this junk there putting out!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Guys, Guys

In reply to: project cool box

I am suprised to see some of you just turn a deaf ear to some of potential problems that may result into even greater pains. I'd appreciate if people help by collecting information regarding the same model, and share that info here. And just to remind some of you, this, is obviously not my first notebook. Infact, its my 8th Intel Centrino based notbook computer.

Collapse -
return mayday

In reply to: MAYDAY Compaq Presario M2223 Notebook - Strange Heating Prob

man take the peace of junk back and get your money back.your shorting the life of the use of this notebook by using it.hot boxs dont belong on the notebook market..!!!!!!!!!!!every maker of notbooks has there junkers and this is one of them.....HINT=hp/compaq is not the way to go.Dell,IBM.toshiba,or even mac,s the call

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.