Computer Help forum

General discussion

maybe missing drivers?

by ccornelius2 / March 3, 2009 4:23 AM PST

I have a Gateway Model #ATXAEG LX3 700XLPH4, running Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002,service pack 3. Intel(R),Pentium(R) 4CPU 3.06 GHz,3.05 GHz, 512 MB RAM.
Having problems, error messages, unable to locate components. MSVFW32.dll was not found. CLUSAPI.dll not found. I tried to download your Malwarebyte's Antimalware download, came up with "Runtime error '0', & Runtime error '440'. Would not work!
My computer will not let me run many of my programs like any media players, have uninstalled & reinstalled, still will not work. Will not let me run any of my camera software,will not even let me uninstall these & etc. Always comes up with ".dll" error messages! Can do anything on internet, except will not let me use media players! So frustrating!
We thought maybe we needed to reformat & install windows again. Tried to reformat with no success! Can you help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: maybe missing drivers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: maybe missing drivers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Couple Of Thoughts..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 3, 2009 6:51 AM PST
In reply to: maybe missing drivers?

First, please run the System File Checker on your Windows XP computer:

How To Run System File Checker (SFC) - scannow

Next, try downloading and running the free malware removal tools EXACTLY as instructed below:

On a friend or family member's computer, download the Malwarebytes installer and update files from the links below, copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer the files to the problem machine and use them. If you can't start the computer into "normal" windows, try installing, updating, and running the scans AFTER the computer is started into Safe Mode.. I use the sites below to download the installer file and the manual updater:

Once downloaded and before transferring them to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/dat...mbam-rules.exe

Next, download the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. After running the Malwarebytes tool above, if you still can't download and install it directly from the problem machine, download it on a friend or family member's computer as well.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Did not work!
by ccornelius2 / March 6, 2009 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: A Couple Of Thoughts..

I did exactly as you told me to do. Even with the Malwarebytes installer on the flash drive & renamed, transfered from another computer did not work. It would not run the "Malwarbytes" download! Maybe I just need to get a new hardrive? Don't know what to do!

Collapse -
Yep, That Would Be My Next Step...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 8, 2009 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Did not work!

If the reformat and reinstall isn't going correctly, then it appears like the hard drive is faulty.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) did you tried to do a second repair on the installation cd??
by elchale / March 7, 2009 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: maybe missing drivers?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?