HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Maybe interesting statistics on presidential selection

by Steven Haninger / August 19, 2010 10:55 PM PDT
http://www.adherents.com/adh_presidents.html

It would appear that voters don't necessarily seek candidates with religious affiliations similar to their own. It would appear that we've mostly preferred Presbyterians or Episcopalians to run the country but don't much care to join their churches. Significant? Maybe or maybe not. Just thought it was interesting.

Actually this came from a link to a site regarding peoples idea of what religion President Obama followed. Those poll results were also interesting. To me it just indicates that too many people haven't taken the time to know who they may have voted for. Happy
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maybe interesting statistics on presidential selection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maybe interesting statistics on presidential selection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure of which poll,
by Mike_Hanks / August 19, 2010 11:42 PM PDT

But one that I heard recently showed that the number of people that did not know what religion Obama is, has gone up.

Collapse -
Hmmmm....
by EdHannigan / August 19, 2010 11:59 PM PDT

did people who knew before forget?

Don't really need a poll to determine at people are uninformed.

Collapse -
Not unimformed
by Mike_Hanks / August 20, 2010 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmm....

Maybe it's the things that Obama says/does that might be changing some minds.

Collapse -
I believe many didn't know who they voted for
by Steven Haninger / August 20, 2010 7:31 AM PDT

They thought they were voting against Bush again. More vote "against" than "for" these days.

Collapse -
True...
by EdHannigan / August 20, 2010 7:39 AM PDT

Someone I know told me she voted for Obama because "we had to get rid of Bush!" Things like this demonstrate why the Founding Fathers were so wary of democracy.

I myself almost always vote against.

Collapse -
Candidates
by James Denison / August 20, 2010 12:40 AM PDT

Maybe there are fewer members of other denominations or fellowships who choose to enter politics. I'm not sure a generalization like that really applies however. Nixon came from Quaker background, JFK from Catholic, Carter was a Baptist I believe, Obama is/was a social gospel Christian, maybe, Bush jr was Methodist, Reagan was a Presbyterian, Eisenhower background was Jehovah Witness and Mennonite, Gerald Ford was Episcopalian. I don't really see a pattern there.

Collapse -
I couldn't find a pattern either
by Steven Haninger / August 20, 2010 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Candidates

I just thought it curious that 1/2 of the presidents in the listing came from such a small percentage of the population by religious affiliation. Perhaps it's just an aberration and without meaning. Also, this data provides no information about the losing candidates so I doubt any conclusion can be drawn about people's voting habits based on specific religious practice or lack thereof. I've never made a habit of looking to see where a candidate went to church before considering them for my vote but I have heard that some politicians will join a church to gain political perfectibility. It was even reported that our current president went church shopping to enhance his political career. If that was true, he certainly didn't use these statistics in making his choice.

Collapse -
Some interesting Reagan history
by James Denison / August 20, 2010 1:01 AM PDT

Seems he had to fight against a "polymorphous perverse" movement in his early political career. The term jumped out on this page, having heard it recently, and seems it has a political meaning and origin. I don't much agree with the author though in his assessment of Ronald Reagan.

http://hnn.us/articles/38958.html

In Reagan's America, the Left saw religion as repressive, distorting the people's deepest yearning for freedom and the fulfillment of humanity's every need and wish. The guru of the era was Herbert Marcuse, the German emigre and author of One-Dimensional Man, a text that taught the students of Reagan's sunny California that not only the mind but the body itself had been crippled by Christianity, denying its desires for the "polymorphous perverse," sex any which way. No one seemed to notice how Reagan transformed religion from the governor's podium and later from the president's pulpit. Redefining the nature of desire, Reagan's religion would deny nothing because life offered everything. Our beliefs about God no longer repress but liberate, as though Christ died on the Cross so that we might better pursue happiness, not the salvation of our souls.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.