TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Maybe I should get an Onkyo 705

by jostenmeat / December 12, 2007 4:42 AM PST

-7.1 preouts (a must)
-new decoders, (a must)
-THX 2 Select Certified (ah, I guess that's pretty cool)
-Audyssey MultEQ XT (sweet!)
-12V trigger, (a must)
-3 HDMI inputs (nicety)

I tried finding the Integra 9.8 but no one, and I mean no one has them in. Found one dealer who has three backordered to mid-Jan, and he's keeping one for himself! Anyways, I figured out the 7 5/8" height won't fit in my present stand. Shucks.

Should I do it? Should I do it?

Its less than half the price of the Integra. I do not like the idea of spending towards an amp section that I probably will never use. I also wonder how much SQ Id be giving up.

Do I play the ******* and buy one from a big-box and use it for 29 days, return it, upgrade to Integra? I think I might have just enough scruples to not do this, tempting as it is.

Anyone here use the 705?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maybe I should get an Onkyo 705
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maybe I should get an Onkyo 705
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
for those you are interested in this particular comparo
by jostenmeat / December 12, 2007 5:34 AM PST
Collapse -
oh
by jostenmeat / December 12, 2007 6:27 AM PST

Onkyo triggers are only for Zone 2. LAME

For those who are curious, the 705 FAQ at Avs is the most comprehensive owner's thread I have ever seen. The Audyssey FAQ (post #3) should be most beneficial to me.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=935808&highlight=12v+trigger

I wonder if any of the Onkyo's can do multiple x-over settings per speaker. Haven't found info on that yet, anyone know?

When I found the shoponkyo refurbed link, I got excited. But the 805 is also a bit too high like the Integra, great prices though. I am a big fan of going refurbed.

Collapse -
Yes
by gabereyes / December 12, 2007 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: oh

there are X-over setting for the center, fronts, and surrounds.

Collapse -
Ask an unclear question
by jostenmeat / December 13, 2007 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Yes

receive an unclear answer. Sorry Gabe about that.. I was curious if it could have different x-over points with different speakers, at the same time. And no, I don't mean large and/or small. I mean, setting center for 100hz while setting surrounds for 50hz and mains as large, all at the same time.

However, this might become a moot point. The more I read, the more things are pushing towards the Integra. The Pro Audyssey potential (and the list of pre/pros or receivers that can is very short) might push me over the edge.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Hey Josten
by RustyDallas / December 13, 2007 6:45 AM PST

x-over points are gettting over my head but I think you must be able to on the 705 because I think you can on the 605. On the 605 under the "speaker set-up" section, you can manually set the speaker configuration to "specify which speakers are connected and a crossover frequency for each speaker. The following crossover frequencies can be specified: full band, 40,50,60,80,100,120,150,or 200hz." Then their's the "speaker level calibration" section that allows you to set the db level for each speaker. Then their's the "equalizer setting" that can be set manually also. It allows you to adjust "the EQ of invividual speaker". All I can tell you about that is the Has a column that says equalizer and lists 80hz, 250hz, etc and allows you to change the db of each hz level listed. Pfff....whatever. I used Audyssey and just did a minimal amount of tinkering with the speaker level calibration. I also had to dramatically increase the db level of the sub and then turn down the volume to get good shake from my transducer the other day. Not wild about the affect that had on my sub but I have only begun to tinker with it. Audyssey also automatically set my speaker distances for me and did a remarkable job. However, you can change that manually, also.

Rusty

Collapse -
OK. another fearless fundamental proclamation.
by NM_Bill / December 13, 2007 10:40 AM PST

At hazard of offending you, Onkyo just doesn't have unimpeachable quality.

Also, you're not cheap so if an Onkyo, why not an 805 for factors such as a lot more current handling capability?

Collapse -
Well
by jostenmeat / December 13, 2007 11:34 AM PST

my last onkyo served me very well, and is presently serving my brother very well. In fact, the NAD pre has presented more issues than the Onkyo.

The LAST thing I care about is the amp section, as I am only looking for a pre/pro to handle the new formats via HDMI 1.3

I thought it was clear from my post, since the first thing listed is the 7.1 preouts, as well as having mentioned that "I do not like the idea of spending towards an amp section that I probably will never use.

Your "fundamental proclamation" does not offend me. I just think that its a bit useless unless you can offer a viable alternative. What are you to say now? Forget about hi-def audio? Or keep waiting for Denon's line which is going to be much, much more expensive? I'd rather get Outlaw or Emotiva when they should come out next year for less money than a future Denon.

And I'm leaning towards the Integra anyways for the Pro Audyssey potential. The Onkyo Pro PR-SC885 is the equivalent to the Integra. I would rather have either of them than any NAD or Denon on the market today, regardless of price, and guess what, these two brands' flagships are a lot pricier, and yet do not have everything I am looking for.

so, some things that I am looking for Bill, in no particular order:

-multiple simultaneous x-over points
-Audyssey, and the better the version, the more interesting it is
-Decoders for ALL HT formats (implies hdmi 1.3)
-Pre-outs (duh)
-better DACs makes me happier
-better power supply makes me happier
-Reon HQV is a definite big bonus
-12v trigger(s) is a definite bonus, probably a must

other, much smaller considerations
-size
-remote control
-looks
-more hdmi inputs

what I don't really need in the Integra are the balanced outs nor zone 2 or zone 3. Maybe I'd be happy to have them in the future, but I cannot foresee that.

The reasons I mentioned the 805 is that it has top of line Burr Browns and THX Surround EX Ultra 2, while costing only $700 as refurbished at the aforementioned Onkyo store. Ive been told the 705 sells out like hot cakes when they are there.

Collapse -
Yes I know what you were talking about
by gabereyes / December 13, 2007 12:49 PM PST

it can do X-over for fronts, center, and surround.

I downloaded the owners manual to find out.

here is a cut and paste from the manual.

Speaker Configuration
With these settings, you can specify which speakers are
connected and a crossover frequency for each speaker.
The following crossover frequencies can be specified:
Full Band, 40 Hz, 50 Hz, 60 Hz, 70 Hz, 80 Hz (THX),
90 Hz, 100 Hz, 120 Hz, 150 Hz, or 200 Hz.

although I dont know if the onkyo or the integra would be a better choice to use as a dead head, precessor.

gabe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?