General discussion

Maybe I'm lazy or maybe this has been suggested

When we click on a post and it opens, at the top part of the screen there is an option to go back to main forum or back to current forum. After reading the post (and then viewing whats beneath) the only options are to go to next unread or next message. After an especially long thread, it can be a long climb back up to options to return to the main forum/current forum. Would it be a good thing to have these options on the bottom as well? Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Maybe I'm lazy or maybe this has been suggested
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Maybe I'm lazy or maybe this has been suggested
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Use Ctrl Home combo and Move On ...

In the previous version, this option was present in the bottom too. Was it good ? Nope, it was a redundant thing. I asked that time to remove the bottom part and the answer was Nope (it was like someone was contemplating the page in its whole narcissism). In fact, any static info that it?s perpetuated in every message it?s bad (for regulars).

A workaround such as a Top link was proposed which solves the problem with a mouse click instead of a keyboard combo (Ctrl Home). The consequence ? Some few bytes added to every page. Sounds minor, but multiply it with thousands opened messages and you?ll see that every excedent luggage counts.

Taking into account that long threads are only in SE and relatively rare in Tech Forums, we can just ignore this and move on.

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

- Collapse -
why Ctrl+Home? when just Home will do

On a webpage just pressing Home will take you to the top of the page.

(If you were in a 'page displayable' application, for example Word, then Ctrl+Home is needed to take you to the first page, just pressing Home there will only take you to the top of the current page. But a webpage is only displayed as a single page - a long scroll, if you can imagine. Please let's not bring in the issue of frames. I am trying to keep this simple. Wink )

Just pressing End will take you to the bottom.

Just pressing Page Up or Page Down, on a webpage, will scroll the display just almost one screen full.

- Collapse -
I?m probable too much addicted to the same shortcut ...

... but the point here it?s not using one or two fingers key(s) pressing...it?s about the additional links implementation?s opportunity.

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

- Collapse -
As I said, maybe just lazy

Using Home and End keys means moving hand about 6" away from comfy rest on mouse. Maybe I need to find a way to put some macros in the toolbar.Happy

- Collapse -
A voice tool helps&your wife will be confused Home,End [NT]

- Collapse -
Another solution, more mouse buttons

IF you have a mouse that has additional buttons (beyond the usual left, right, and center), then your mouse software may allow you to assign Home and End to those other buttons.

I have a Microsoft Wireless mouse, and it has a total of 5 buttons. I just tried, and I was able to assign many different pre-selections for any of the mouse buttons, plus able to assign any key combination I wanted.

Home and End were not in the pre-selections, but I was able to select "Keystroke..." and set up for Home and End.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Neither Home nor CTRL Home works for me.
- Collapse -
CTRL doesn't do anything by itself
CTRL doesn't do anything by itself because it is a modifier key. It modifies, or alters, the keycode of almost all the other keys.

Other modifier keys ... Alt and Shift.

If Home or End do not take you to the top and bottom of a webpage, then perhaps
1) You are not using IE (but I would expect that any other browser would also use those same keys, oh well, perhaps not) or
2) Your web page is so small that the pressing of Home or End really are in the same view. They are only going to do something if the page is longer than the screen height.

----- Now more information than you wanted to know -----
There is a slight deviation in what I just said, and that is ...

1) Alt is a command and in most applications pressing Alt will activate a command bar highlight, and your next key press may actually have that application do something. Watch out.

And...
2) Windows "watches" your pressing of the Shift key, and if you press Shift 5 times in a row that will bring up the "Sticky keys" capability.
Sticky keys is where a person with some disabilities might need some assistance in pressing 2 keys at the same time, like Shift and another key, or Ctrl and another key, or Alt and another key. So, Sticky keys will allow you to press one of those modifier keys once, and even though you have let it go, Windows pretends you are still holding it down until your next single key press. Thus, with one finger you can effectively enter a modifier key and some other key.

Note: Sticky keys can be deactivated through the Control Panel>Accessibility Options>Keyboard
- Collapse -
I learn something every day here

Had forgotten about using Home to return to the top of the page!

Mark

- Collapse -
oops! sorry, missed a word there

Re: my saying:
"Alt is a command and in most applications pressing Alt will activate a command bar highlight, and your next key press may actually have that application do something."

Alt isn't a command, sorry. Missed a word there. I meant to say:
"Alt is a command PREFIX and in most applications pressing Alt will activate a command bar highlight, and your next key press may actually have that application do something."

Alt isn't a command by itself. (I am sure that somebody out there may know of some oddball application that this may not be true also, but we're talking what usually happens, here)

You typically need to hold down Alt and then press another key. Such as, in most applications, Alt+f will open the File menu.
However, many applications will accept you pressing Alt (by itself) and letting go, you will probably notice that the words in the Command bar of your application will now have one of their letters underlined, letting you know that pressing that letter will activate that menu item.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you, I will address this with the forum redesign.

CNET Forums

Forum Info