I am sure that Google could offer a lot of value but Google has better things with their resources besides wasting their time on trying to rescue Sony. Google has a huge undertaking with getting "YouTube" in order so that it doesn't get hammered with lawsuits.
1. Google still must complete their library and digital book initiatives. They have many many more books to scan. Have you notice...they have not mention periodicals...that is next!
2. Google has taken on the software market with their Document and Spreadsheet applications. They still need a image editing tool, presentation tool, and a good low cost database to go with their existing applications. I am sure that they are working on this.
3. Let's not forget that Google has an extensive dark-fiber network. They have big plans for this network which they will need to execute on.
4. Google recently started their shopping cart project. This will require major technical and marketing efforts if they are hoping to penetrate the huge shopping venues of Amazon, Ebay, Microsoft, Yahoo, Overstock and Buy.com.
5. Google has projects underway in the mobile space. These projects are still in their infancy but if Google hopes to capitalize on the upcoming dotMobi space, they will need to have these projects well developed to take advantage of this new Internet venue.
And lastly, Google is simply kicking butt in the advertising Search space. There are still challenges in this area. Advertisers are nervous because click fraud is still quite rampant. Google is near a solution for this on their search engine portal but other companies are working on this very same thing. Whoever gets to market with the ultimate deterrent to click fraud will win hugely in the Internet marketshare. Will it be Google? Maybe....maybe not. It is up to them.
My Opinion: As for Sony, they made their bed....let them work their way out of their mess. If they cannot do it, then they do not deserve to be a publicly traded company.