Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Maybe appreciated by the 50s/60s people here

by Steven Haninger / May 13, 2011 8:42 PM PDT

but maybe not.

I found a song in some old vinyl that may still have some relevance today though the names of the countries may need to change. I have it by The Kingston Trio though others performed it. This isn't the original group though Bob Shane, a founding member (full gray and white head and doing the whistling), is present in the center.

The Merry Minuet

Lyrics

Written in '58. Some things haven't changed much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maybe appreciated by the 50s/60s people here
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maybe appreciated by the 50s/60s people here
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks Steve for a trip down memory lane I loved the Trio.
by Ziks511 / May 15, 2011 10:52 PM PDT

I learned "Coplas" from Theodore Bikel, and "Oh, You New York Gals" from the Trio, and sang them early in my days learning folk musiic. From Michael Cooney, a brilliant multi-instrumentalist I learned another sea shanty, called "Ratcliffe Highway", which was a warning to young sailors, not to patronize the girls found on the Ratcliffe Highway in Chatam England. It's the sad story of a young man who finds the right girl at the right time with the wrong disease.

"She was naught but a fire ship wrapped up in disguise. / Set fire to his rigging and likewise his hold, / And it was off to the Hospital Jack he did scull./ To my rigging grey,/ Come rattle my rigging down./ Come rattle my rigging down Ratcliffe Highway." There was a bit about his bowsprit being all bent over too. That's a legitimate 18th or 19th Century song "New York Gals" is 19th Century. He encouraged American audiences to act more like British audiences and sing along on choruses, working out harmonies. If you ever heard the Young Tradition or Robin and Barry Dransfield or the High Level Ranters, you know how great that can be. I have a few records by the Copper family who when the records were made were in their 50's and 60's but still had wonderful harmonies, and the Watersons from Yorkshire, one of whom married the King of British traditional folk, Martin Carthy. Their daughter is now a killer act too.

Speaking of things that still lurk around the corners.

Rob.

Michael is now living up in Maine, and isn't communicating, though I'll give him another try. I think he has me confused with somebody else. He was Folksinger in Residence at Guelph University, which I thought was a wonderful thing to be until we moved here and visited Guelph University. I knew him from the Ark in Ann Arbor and from Folk festivals like Philadelphia and Fox Hollow. He did some of the best Huddie Leadbetter I ever heard, not least because he used a Stella 12 string just like Leadbelly did.

Collapse -
Damn, now you've got me singing the damn songs.
by Ziks511 / May 15, 2011 11:06 PM PDT

Rob, the Bald headed Grey Bearded Folk Singer. And I just finished trying to put together the lyrics of Hamish Imlach's the Coppers' Song (meaning policemen).

It was 12 oclock when they found it,
Lying there still as a log,
A badly bashed aboot body,
Tyre marks messed up its physog.

So they went through the usual procedure,
Kicked it to be sure it was deid,
Then they went through its pockets and shared oot its cash,
Smoked all its fags while it bled,

Then solemnly they took their positions
One at its head and its feet,
Picked it up carefully, and walked doon the close,
An' dumped it on another man's beat.

It was four in the morning when they re-found it,
Propped up in an old Chip Shop door,
It was naked by noo wi' a sign roon its neck,
"Not Wanted on Beats 3 or 4".\

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?